• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

My mother Mary Megan Gatley completed her one year emergency training at Caertrefle, North Wales. She then was employed at Cropwood Open Air School, and I, as a 6 year old went with her (I was the healthiest child there!). Our home town was Chester, so after a year at Cropwood we moved home. Whilst mum had been training, my grandmother had cared for me and my brother went to Merton House Penmaenmawr. Then my grandmother cared for my brother for a year until we were all together again. I recognise some of the name in various posts, but not any of the "inmates", I do remember the dormitories, wide open french windows even in winter, and of course the food was awful. Having a mother as a member of staff, I was able to see the (literally) delicious meals cooked up for them. I also remember our afternoon naps on the hard playground. Good training? I'm still around and healthy at 75

Jen Walkington

Hi. I've just discovered this site, and OMG! How the memories came flooding back. I was at Skilts from about age 5 or 6, where there was a Nurse Binns who appeared to be a right battleaxe. She bought me a dolly and her mother had knitted clothes for it. It still makes me emotional when I think of that stern woman taking pity on the little waif I must have been then. I then went to Cropwood where Miss Urquhart was the headmistress. I don't recall any other staff names. I do know that Hunters Hill was the boys school across the road. I slept in exstention but we all aspired to sleep in the cottage up the road. I can't be sure of it's name but I think it was Rose or Rosemary house? Maybe someone here remembers and can remind me. My name back then was Belinda Luckman. Sadly I can't remember school mates names. I do know that I learned a life lesson while at Cropwood when I and a friend found the tuck cupboard open in our classroom and stole some sweets from it. Later, in the evening when we were in the lobby, sitting on the benches around the hand-basins waiting to go into the dining room, the teacher spoke up to say that sweets had been stolen. I was soooo scared. She pointed at another girl, pulled her to stand next to her and gave her a good smack for stealing! I was beside myself with guilt at someone being punished for my crime, but didn't have the nerve to speak up. I have never taken anything since that day that didn't belong to me. Seems the other girl must have found the tuck cupboard open too, but she got caught!
I also remember the country walks and a girl falling into sinking sand and the teacher up to her thighs in mud trying to rescue her......that was a walk to remember... I wonder if anyone else remembers these incidents? And what year it might have been?
Cleaning outdoor shoes with polish and brushes in the yard. Indoor shoes were buckled sandles. Brown tunics with yellow airtex T shirts in winter, flowery dresses in summer. The outdoor swimming pool covered in leaves. Making dens in the bushes. Watching TV on a Saturday. I'm sure I watched the first Dr Who episode there. Having your name called out when a letter or parcel arrived. When visitors bought sweets for you, the were tipped into the handbasins to be collected and shared out later.one sweet at a time...No wonder I robbed the tuck cupboard...lol
Church on a Sunday when we were given a penny for the collection plate. Silver threepenny bits in the Christmas pudding and helping to stir it for a Christmas wish. Cleaning teeth with a dab of powdered toothpaste, a bath every other night and .....knicker inspection....washing our own pants in the bathroom sinks.
I caught chickenpox by rubbing myself and my friend in the clothes of a suck girl....lol....sickbay was full so I got sent to Little Bromwich hospital isolation ward ..
Also spent a summer holiday in Eddington cottage Homes when my mom was in hospital and couldn't have me at home. Then straight back to Cropwood. .....wow such memories. Thank you to whomever started this thread, and hope I haven't rambled too much. Belinda x

Hello Belinda, I remember all that you have written above, when people had a parcel they had to hand all the sweets to the teacher for the tuck cupboard, because some children didn't have parcels with sweets in so this was only fair. You would really be interested in a book you can get from the library called 'A Breath Of Fresh Air' by Frances Willmott, it is all about the open air schools that Birmingham council owned and ran, it will bring back a lot of memories. I think I left in 1958/59 and then went to a senior school in Alum Rock.

Hi Belinda have only got this as it was filed in spam, yes that's a true picture of both schools. I wouldn't bother with the book a breathe of fresh air as it doesn't represent what I and many others went through at all, it was said in the book they didn't want to write any negatives!!!!. Do you mind me asking how old you are? As you were at skilts the same age as I was from 5 yrs with my sister she later went to rose cottage. We both went to cropwood after skilts, when you were at skilts was the headmaster Mr Cameron or mr Mitchell?

Hi Belinda have only got this as it was filed in spam, yes that's a true picture of both schools. I wouldn't bother with the book a breathe of fresh air as it doesn't represent what I and many others went through at all, it was said in the book they didn't want to write any negatives!!!!. Do you mind me asking how old you are? As you were at skilts the same age as I was from 5 yrs with my sister she later went to rose cottage. We both went to cropwood after skilts, when you were at skilts was the headmaster Mr Cameron or mr Mitchell?
Hi littleemily. I,m 63 (whisper whisper) lol
My memory is quite hazy about Skilts. I'm sorry I can't remember the headmasters name. My main memories are picking windfall apples in the orchard. Eating raw rhubarb and finding out how tart it was.....making my mouth water just thinking about it..lol
Being given my doll by nurse Binns and also having my tonsils out. I found out years later that doctors were paid handsomely to refer children for tonsil removal!
Another memory from Cropwood was having the chore of cleaning the copper hood in the fireplace of a large downstairs room with Brasso.
My experience at both schools was OK, apart from being home sick. I'm sorry you had a tough time. Belinda x

Hello Belinda, I remember all that you have written above, when people had a parcel they had to hand all the sweets to the teacher for the tuck cupboard, because some children didn't have parcels with sweets in so this was only fair. You would really be interested in a book you can get from the library called 'A Breath Of Fresh Air' by Frances Willmott, it is all about the open air schools that Birmingham council owned and ran, it will bring back a lot of memories. I think I left in 1958/59 and then went to a senior school in Alum Rock.
Hi Trebor. I think I may have left Cropwood about 1961/62. I was returned to Monument Road, Ladywood near the public baths. I went to St Johns junior school across the road from my. House. From Ladywood we moved to Smallheath. Lawden Road and I went to Oakley Rd senior School. This has been a right walk down memory lane for me. Belinda x

Some 'Then and Now' photographs of Hunters Hill Open Air School.
The first B/W photograph shows the boating pool as I remember it 1943/45
The background building was the classroom where Miss McGuire taught. The smaller building, to the right of the photograph, shows the windows to the school surgery, ruled with a rod of iron by Sister Daniels
Same boating pool (colour)during a visit I made in 2005, aged 72.

The second set of photographs shows the dormitories as seen in 2005. In 1943, the windows were not there. They would be permanently open to the elements, except during a storm, or heavy snow. Dormitory one was at the far end, now a small theatre (see picture two). The dormitory 2, 3, and closest to camera, dormitory four, The very youngest pupils would sleep in dormitory one, and the most senior, in dormitory four.
Eddie
(Black and white photographs taken courtesy the book 'A Breath of Fresh Air'

Attachments

• Boating Pool 1943 001.jpg
    Boating Pool 1943 001.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Boating Pool H.Hill. 2005 001.jpg
    Boating Pool H.Hill. 2005 001.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Dormitories i 2 3 and 4 Hunters Hill 2005 001.jpg
    Dormitories i 2 3 and 4 Hunters Hill 2005 001.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Dormitory Interior Hunters Hill. 2005 001.jpg
    Dormitory Interior Hunters Hill. 2005 001.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
More photographs of Hunters Hill 'Then and Now'

The quadrangle verandas shown when I was at the school 1943-45.

In those days they were open to the quadrangle. I would spend hours crawling underneath the foot walk duck boarding, looking for anything that may have slipped down through the boards. There was a trap door at each end, so getting underneath was no problem. Just in trouble if one was caught.

Like almost everything else in my life, I just got stuck in, and had a great time there.

The second photograph shows the same veranda in 2005, now covered in against the elements. The duckboard foot walk has also been removed

Eddie

(B/W photograph courtesy of 'A Breath Of Fresh Air'

Attachments

• Veranda..ill 1943 001.jpg
    Veranda..ill 1943 001.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Veranda. H.Hill 2005 001.jpg
    Veranda. H.Hill 2005 001.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
My mother Mary Megan Gatley completed her one year emergency training at Caertrefle, North Wales. She then was employed at Cropwood Open Air School, and I, as a 6 year old went with her (I was the healthiest child there!). Our home town was Chester, so after a year at Cropwood we moved home. Whilst mum had been training, my grandmother had cared for me and my brother went to Merton House Penmaenmawr. Then my grandmother cared for my brother for a year until we were all together again. I recognise some of the name in various posts, but not any of the "inmates", I do remember the dormitories, wide open french windows even in winter, and of course the food was awful. Having a mother as a member of staff, I was able to see the (literally) delicious meals cooked up for them. I also remember our afternoon naps on the hard playground. Good training? I'm still around and healthy at 75

Jen Walkington

Jen Walkington
hi I also went to cropwood , i went for a short time, i went halfway through a term, went home t the end of term and never went back. my open air days were over i had also been to baskerville open air school, i remember going to rosemary cottage it was so different to the dormitories. my brother had been to hunters hill for a few years. i remember getting dressed up and going over to boys school to barn dance. i remember uniform was brown with a goldish blouse i think , i had been to another openair school so cannot remember the colour of blouse

hi I also went to cropwood , i went for a short time, i went halfway through a term, went home t the end of term and never went back. my open air days were over i had also been to baskerville open air school, i remember going to rosemary cottage it was so different to the dormitories. my brother had been to hunters hill for a few years. i remember getting dressed up and going over to boys school to barn dance. i remember uniform was brown with a goldish blouse i think , i had been to another openair school so cannot remember the colour of blouse
this was 1964ish

I was born in 1940 and a s a young schoolchild I remember a young lad from our road was sent to Blackwell, It would have been around 1950. His surname was Dunn. I have no idea how he got on r when he came home again.

i went to cropwood/huntershill when it got joined up my mother in law went to cropwood when she was younger she said she wasnt keen on going there

Hi Chrisange51. I went to Hunters hill, which was across the road from you. I went there in 1965 & left in July 1969. I remember the nights some of you girls came over to us for the dancing, & also film nights. They were great times, though I never did any dancing or got to know any of the girls. (was too scared at the time). Our head mistress (Miss Buckley) was an absolute gem. She made me feel really welcome, though some of the teachers was not very nice. Always picking on me. I hated being there until I had a long talk with Miss Buckley. You mention the uniforms. I remember you girls wore brown uniforms with gold coloured blouses & a brown hat. I remember this as we used to walk together to church on a sunday. It would be nice if some of the other pupils from those days could comment & possibly want to meet up for a chat about those good-old days. I can remember just 3 names of the boys from hunters hill. Steven Rose, stephen Braker & Patrick O'kane. I have often wondered what has happened to them. Hunters Hill is still pretty much the same now that it has turned into a college, but Cropwood has changed a lot. I remember going over to cropwood for swimming lessons before we were allowed to use the bromsgrove swimming baths.I have not been over there since I left. Keep meaning to pay a last visit. Maybe one day I will. Loved working on our little allotment too. Was not too keen on the dorms though. Had many a scrap.

Last edited:
I spent 4 years at Hunters Hill from 1965 to July 1969 when I left school. I hated it at first & ran away a few times, but after spending a long time talking to our head mistress (Miss Buckley), I got used to it. I was not to keen on some of the teachers though as they used to pick on me. I was not too keen on the dorms. I got into many scraps just to survive. I was glad to move up to the block near the allotment. I remember the times when the girls from Cropwood would come over to our school for the usual dance nights & occasional film nights, though I never got up to get up & dance with the girls as I was too scared. Unfortunately, I never got to know any of the girls names, though I do remember 3 of the boys names who was at hunters hill with me. I have often wondered what has happened to them. It would be great to hear from some of the pupils from hunters hill at that time. Maybe someone may know of their whereabout. Their names were : Patrick O'cane, Steven Rose & Stephen Braker. Their was one nurse who I really liked. Unfortunately, I can not remember her name,.All I remember was she was young & had blonde hair.

Last edited:
Hunters Hill open air school for boys did actually open in 1933. The first Headmistress was Miss Buckley, and she was still the headmistress when I attended the school from 1943-45. During my period at the school I also sang in the choir at St. Cathrines church in the village. During the war we had Italian POW's working in the field next to the school, and they would throw us apples. I also remember Edward Grey (of Greys in Birmingham taking the choir out for the day, and I was privileged to have a ride in his large motor car which was run by a large gas container on the roof of the car. As a city boy, it was my introduction to the country side, and I have never looked back, now living in beautiful North Norfolk. I owe a lot to Blackwell.
Hello norfolk brummie. I went to hunters hill open air school too. I was there from 1965 to July 1969 when I left school. Miss Buckley was still head mistress & was very helpful. I hated being there, & ran away a few times, but she made me feel at ease. She reminded me of my grandma.Though I was not too keen on some of the teachers, as some of them used to pick on us (bullying). I did not like the dorms, but loved being up at the block by the allotment. I have looked on google maps, & it appears that many of the buildings are still there. I have often wondered what has happened to some of the pupils from that time. It would be nice to hear from some of them so that we could talk about those (sometimes sad)times. Unfortunately, I do not have any photo's myself of those days. I know one of my brothers has. Will have to get some copies & post them on here.

Hi. I've just discovered this site, and OMG! How the memories came flooding back. I was at Skilts from about age 5 or 6, where there was a Nurse Binns who appeared to be a right battleaxe. She bought me a dolly and her mother had knitted clothes for it. It still makes me emotional when I think of that stern woman taking pity on the little waif I must have been then. I then went to Cropwood where Miss Urquhart was the headmistress. I don't recall any other staff names. I do know that Hunters Hill was the boys school across the road. I slept in exstention but we all aspired to sleep in the cottage up the road. I can't be sure of it's name but I think it was Rose or Rosemary house? Maybe someone here remembers and can remind me. My name back then was Belinda Luckman. Sadly I can't remember school mates names. I do know that I learned a life lesson while at Cropwood when I and a friend found the tuck cupboard open in our classroom and stole some sweets from it. Later, in the evening when we were in the lobby, sitting on the benches around the hand-basins waiting to go into the dining room, the teacher spoke up to say that sweets had been stolen. I was soooo scared. She pointed at another girl, pulled her to stand next to her and gave her a good smack for stealing! I was beside myself with guilt at someone being punished for my crime, but didn't have the nerve to speak up. I have never taken anything since that day that didn't belong to me. Seems the other girl must have found the tuck cupboard open too, but she got caught!
I also remember the country walks and a girl falling into sinking sand and the teacher up to her thighs in mud trying to rescue her......that was a walk to remember... I wonder if anyone else remembers these incidents? And what year it might have been?
Cleaning outdoor shoes with polish and brushes in the yard. Indoor shoes were buckled sandles. Brown tunics with yellow airtex T shirts in winter, flowery dresses in summer. The outdoor swimming pool covered in leaves. Making dens in the bushes. Watching TV on a Saturday. I'm sure I watched the first Dr Who episode there. Having your name called out when a letter or parcel arrived. When visitors bought sweets for you, the were tipped into the handbasins to be collected and shared out later.one sweet at a time...No wonder I robbed the tuck cupboard...lol
Church on a Sunday when we were given a penny for the collection plate. Silver threepenny bits in the Christmas pudding and helping to stir it for a Christmas wish. Cleaning teeth with a dab of powdered toothpaste, a bath every other night and .....knicker inspection....washing our own pants in the bathroom sinks.
I caught chickenpox by rubbing myself and my friend in the clothes of a suck girl....lol....sickbay was full so I got sent to Little Bromwich hospital isolation ward ..
Also spent a summer holiday in Eddington cottage Homes when my mom was in hospital and couldn't have me at home. Then straight back to Cropwood. .....wow such memories. Thank you to whomever started this thread, and hope I haven't rambled too much. Belinda x
Hello Belinda. I had the same feeling when I discovered this site. All the memories came flooding back (some good, some bad). I was at hunters hill across the road in 1965 - 1969 & one of the things I remember well is you girls coming over to us occasionally when we had a film or dance night, though I was too scared to get up & dance ( I was too scared of the girls). I remember walking down to st Cathrines church on a sunday. We had to walk in a line, (girls in front of us). I hated being there at first, but thanks to our head mistress (Miss Buckley), I began to love it. Unfortunately, I have not been back since 1969, though I do hope to go back & visit. It would be nice if some of the old boys from my time could possibly meet up at the same time. I do remember a few of them, (& some of the nasty teachers unfortunately).

Last edited:
Some 'Then and Now' photographs of Hunters Hill Open Air School.
The first B/W photograph shows the boating pool as I remember it 1943/45
The background building was the classroom where Miss McGuire taught. The smaller building, to the right of the photograph, shows the windows to the school surgery, ruled with a rod of iron by Sister Daniels
Same boating pool (colour)during a visit I made in 2005, aged 72.

The second set of photographs shows the dormitories as seen in 2005. In 1943, the windows were not there. They would be permanently open to the elements, except during a storm, or heavy snow. Dormitory one was at the far end, now a small theatre (see picture two). The dormitory 2, 3, and closest to camera, dormitory four, The very youngest pupils would sleep in dormitory one, and the most senior, in dormitory four.
Eddie
(Black and white photographs taken courtesy the book 'A Breath of Fresh Air'
Seeing those photo's has taken me back in time. I don't remember the boating pool, but remember the dormitories. They were not nice to sleep in. (always getting picked on when asleep). Liked it better when I got old enough to move up to the block in 1967/8. I remember the dining room was next to the gym/assembly room,with the nurses room just down the steps by the assembly room/gym, & the other end of the dining room was Miss Buckley's office.(spent many happy times in there with her). I remember once, I was sent to her office to have the cane because of something someone else had done. Miss Buckley refused to give me the cane, but gave the cane to the boy who had done wrong after he told the truth. Discipline was strict but fair at times (depended who the teacher was). It taught me how to live my life properly & how to respect everyone.

Last edited:

In those days they were open to the quadrangle. I would spend hours crawling underneath the foot walk duck boarding, looking for anything that may have slipped down through the boards. There was a trap door at each end, so getting underneath was no problem. Just in trouble if one was caught.

Like almost everything else in my life, I just got stuck in, and had a great time there.

The second photograph shows the same veranda in 2005, now covered in against the elements. The duckboard foot walk has also been removed

Eddie

The first photo is how I remember the quadrangle veranda. From how I remember it, the dining room was by where the photo was taken from, then the gym/assembly room & at the far end, just down the steps, was the nurses room, & at the far end of that corridor was the entrance to my dormitory, which was Clent.

Hi All,

My uncle and aunt, Fred and Gertrude Farr, were caretakers at Blackwell Open Air school but they did not stay long as they could not get on with the headmistress

Old Boy
I do not understand why your uncle & aunt could not get on with Miss Buckley. I found her to be one of the nicest people I have ever met, though I was just 11 when I first met her when I attended the school in 1965 & left in 1969. She taught me respect. I know she retired when I left & have not been back since that day. If Miss Buckley had not retired when she did, I would have gone back many times to see her. That is how much I respected her. She was really special. I even did an oil painting in art class that was meant to come home with me,but instead, I went to Miss Buckley's office & gave it to her. She reminded me of my grandma. So warm ,kind & always made time to talk & listen to us boys.

Last edited:

Eddie

Hello Norfolk Brummie. I too used to go under the duck boarding, but only to collect items for teachers that was dropped. Very messy under there, but being small, it was easy not to get stuck.

Do you still have this cutting and would you possibly let me have a copy of it. I would be very grateful. Amanda
Hello littleemily. I was at the boys school across the road from you in the 1960's, & was wondering what Skilts were. I do remember some of the girls coming over to us for dancing & watching films in the gym/assembly room, though I was too scared to take part in the dancing.

Hello littleemily. I was at the boys school across the road from you in the 1960's, & was wondering what Skilts were. I do remember some of the girls coming over to us for dancing & watching films in the gym/assembly room, though I was too scared to take part in the dancing.
Hi micheal..I was at hhoas in the 60s thru to 71.
I think I rememba u..was u tall very slim with black hair and suffered from asthma and eczema?

Hi micheal..I was at hhoas in the 60s thru to 71.
I think I rememba u..was u tall very slim with black hair and suffered from asthma and eczema?
Hi Marketman. I wasn't very tall,but yes, was very slim, with dark brown hair, & yes, I did suffer with asthma & eczema. I have a photo of me with my family sitting at the bus stop in blackwell village. Will post it on here. I have not spoken to anyone from HHOA school since I left in 69. You could be the first.

Hi Marketman. I wasn't very tall,but yes, was very slim, with dark brown hair, & yes, I did suffer with asthma & eczema. I have a photo of me with my family sitting at the bus stop in blackwell village. Have posted it here. I am on the left. I have not spoken to anyone from HHOA school since I left in 69. You could be the first.
Family photo's 3 (5).jpg

Hi micheal,I pride myself on having a good memory,2 of the names u mentioned I know very well,ie Stephen rose and Patrick okane.. in fact I still see Patrick he lives 2 miles from me. And rosey(as we called him) was a diabetic.and was my room mate in the block.
I don't recognise ur picture that u posted,as u r so young there.
I will remain on here for a while 2 c if u post again.

Hi micheal,I pride myself on having a good memory,2 of the names u mentioned I know very well,ie Stephen rose and Patrick okane.. in fact I still see Patrick he lives 2 miles from me. And rosey(as we called him) was a diabetic.and was my room mate in the block.
I don't recognise ur picture that u posted,as u r so young there.
I will remain on here for a while 2 c if u post again.
Hi Markman. When I first went to HHOA S, Stephen was in the next bed to me in the dorms. We was in clent house. Haven't seen patrick for a lot of years. Last time I saw him was in moseley. I bet you remember some of the teachers from them days, like Mr Tebbitt, Mr Powell, (who we used to call pudding), & Mr Brownsword.

All so decided to drop sum names on u,to c how good it memory is.
Teachers,miss Buckley,nurse Barrett,Mr Jones,Mr pinner,Mrs Morgan,Mr evershed,miss stains,miss Townsend,miss Crewe,Mr brownsword,Mr rabbit.
Pupils..there was,denneth Drysdale,aiden jordan,Sean burns,phillip horsley(scope) and his brother francis,Raymond Tilley,and brother Charlie.. Pete McGrath,tommy folan,john burchell Vincent okane,Patrick's brother,I cud go on and on..I All so have a good memory for the girls names from cropwood as well.
I to was in client dorm.

Back