• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West Midlands Metro trams going blue 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I missing here ?, why aren't these trams painted in the iconic blue and cream colours of Birmingham transportation.
The very colours us older folks have looked for all of our lives.
I am not opposed to other colours else where, these colours are not right for Birmingham just another part of our history taken away.
As for the interior colours "well" nuff said, when I ride one will bring the bolster if the bed

These trams introduced in 2012 to 2015 (I think) were originally pink. But when the West Midlands Combined Authority took over from National Express they decided to have trams be blue.

This is what the trams used to look like.

WMCA under Transport for West Midlands renamed Midland Metro to West Midlands Metro. Batteries added in time for the next extension to open to Centenary Square by December 2019 (as will be no overhead cables near the Town Hall).

Tram 31 was the first tram to go blue last year, but was recently damaged in an accident in Wolverhampton.

The old T69 trams now withdrawn used to look like this:

National Express applied the pink livery to them in the early 2010s before they were withdrawn from service.

Only tram 11 got the classic cream livery, but that is also now withdrawn / scraped.

What am I missing here ?, why aren't these trams painted in the iconic blue and cream colours of Birmingham transportation.
The very colours us older folks have looked for all of our lives.
I am not opposed to other colours else where, these colours are not right for Birmingham just another part of our history taken away.
As for the interior colours "well" nuff said, when I ride one will bring the bolster if the bed
How would the trams change colour when they crossed the border of Birmingham on their way to Wolverhampton?
I'm sure the 'old guard' of Wolverhampton would be up in arms to see trams painted in the old 'BCT' colours.

How would the trams change colour when they crossed the border of Birmingham on their way to Wolverhampton?
I'm sure the 'old guard' of Wolverhampton would be up in arms to see trams painted in the old 'BCT' colours.
I need to research the tram system I did not know has far a field they traveled.
I thought they only ran locally.

When I talk to my pop tomorrow I will quiz him for info, it seems to me at the moment this tram line idea was looking for a landing spot and Wolverhampton was it,
may be I have been gone to long ?

Last edited:
Midland Metro line 1 was extended to Bull Street by 2015, then to Grand Central outside New Street Station in 2016. Snow Hill Tram Stop was renamed St Chad's Tram Stop as it is close to St Chad's Circus and not really accessible from Snow Hill Station like the old stop was.

Tram 28 seen from platform 3.

Tram 17.

The line into the old Snow Hill Tram Stop remains derelict. Hopefully it will one day be restored as platform 4 of Birmingham Snow Hill Station.

Midland Metro line 1 was extended to Bull Street by 2015, then to Grand Central outside New Street Station in 2016. Snow Hill Tram Stop was renamed St Chad's Tram Stop as it is close to St Chad's Circus and not really accessible from Snow Hill Station like the old stop was.

Tram 28 seen from platform 3.

Tram 17.

The line into the old Snow Hill Tram Stop remains derelict. Hopefully it will one day be restored as platform 4 of Birmingham Snow Hill Station.
I do like the look of these new trams and the colour change was needed over the disjointed look.

Back on topic.

Tram 27 is now blue with lime green OLA adverts. Seen at Bull Street Tram Stop.

Lens flare

No batteries on this one.

Tram 32 is also in blue with the lime green OLA adverts (minus batteries like 27).

Seen at Corporation Street Tram Stop.

Waiting here as a tram was probably at Grand Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back