• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Lyn,

A great one of Bartons Bank - they are few and far between. And the familiar WW2 damage supports.

Maurice :cool:

I remember those buttresses too, there were a lot of them about, not a part of Barton's Bank that I can remember though, pubs were never my thing ;) but thanks for the picture Lyn.

hy.jpeg

Image~2.jpg

Image_28329~0.jpg

Three views of The Boars Head Inn in Perry Barr Inn.
The first photo was taken in 1893.
The second was in 1906.
And the third one was 1937.
WOW, sorry it has taken so long to see these photos as the pub belonged to my Great Great Grandfather William Williams, and his daughter Emma Elizabeth married three times, and owned The Royal Oak (from John Foden her 2nd husband) aka The Parson & Clerk. Has anyone any photos of The P&C by any chance ad I am trying to find a hoto of Emma Elizabeth.Thanks, Carol

WOW, sorry it has taken so long to see these photos as the pub belonged to my Great Great Grandfather William Williams, and his daughter Emma Elizabeth married three times, and owned The Royal Oak (from John Foden her 2nd husband) aka The Parson & Clerk. Has anyone any photos of The P&C by any chance ad I am trying to find a hoto of Emma Elizabeth.Thanks, Carol

A couple of images of the Parson & Clerk for you, I hope they will suit, which Royal Oak was the other one?

Streetly Parson & Clerk.JPGSutton Parson & Clerk.JPG

A couple of images of the Parson & Clerk for you, I hope they will suit, which Royal Oak was the other one?

View attachment 136426View attachment 136427
Thanks for those and The Royal Oak was what the Foden family (I think) renamed the Parson & Clark..it's a while since I did my Spencer family research, but think that is right. Emma & John Foden were still at the pub until 1904 when John died much too young, only 40 yrs old.

View attachment 136426View attachment 136427
[/QUOTEJust looked up my history research and The Royal Oak became The Parson & Clerk in the late 1700's because of a feud between Squire Gough (The Eccentric Squire) and the then Rector of Handsworth, which went to Law and Gough won so put two figures on the roof of the building..The Parson bending in prayer and his Clerk behind him with an axe over his head! Sixty years passed and it went back to Magistrates court and the owners family were allowed to return the name to the original, The Royal oak.

Well from what I can find out the name wasn't changed to the Parson & Clerk until the early 1900's so the pub in the photo would be the Royal Oak which obviously wasn't rebuilt, just renamed.

Please can you tell me how you know the date of the photos, and where they came from? Thanks, carol
:)I think Stitcher may have got the photos from The Library of Birmingham, there are 11 photos of The Boars Inn Perry Barr, (the most popular one! ) More importantly there are notes and dates listed .
Try this link below hope you have some luck

:)I think Stitcher may have got the photos from The Library of Birmingham, there are 11 photos of The Boars Inn Perry Barr, (the most popular one! ) More importantly there are notes and dates listed .
Try this link below hope you have some luck
Thanks Rob, I'll give it a try. Also looking for history of The George IV in Lichfield as my GGGranny's THIRD husband, George Barnes, owned it, or at least his family's brewery did (I think!)

Thanks Rob, I'll give it a try. Also looking for history of The George IV in Lichfield as my GGGranny's THIRD husband, George Barnes, owned it, or at least his family's brewery did (I think!)
WOW, totally brilliant, thanks so much the photos will add so much to the book on my Mum's family. Emma Elizabeth, daughter of William Williams, owner of The Boar's Head for many years, went on to marry two publicans and lived with her last husband, High Sheriff of Lichfield (at one point), George Barnes, in a lovely house called The Hollies, in Lichfield. Am off next month up there to have a rummage around to see if I can find a photo of Emma at some point in her 'publican' history.
Thanks again, really happy!

Yes the Travelers rest was at northfield just about where the junction of the high st now is with the new northfield bypass
Thank you I remember it was on the left hand side coming out of Northfield towards Selly Oak in was the last pub after that you where going into Bournville good chocolate but no booze

What was the pub on the Yardley roundabout, I called in there a few times when I was visiting my mother in the nursing home, they served meals scorching hot on iron plates.

Eric are you talking about the Swan on the Coventry Road or the Yew Tree on the junction of Stoney Lane & Hobmoor Lane?

I have to sat that those links you posted, Lyn, are superb.
Many folks, especially new Members, ask for photos of pubs that have gone. Plenty of photos there for any researcher to see. They would also bring back memories for those who frequented them when they were open.

Brilliant thread - I've read the lot.
I can only contribute a little.
My offering is 'The Acorn', opposite Winson Green prison. I started drinking there when I was about 15 - I used to go with a few mates for a pint and a game of pool after school !

Sorry my images are only from google maps.

Attachments

• acorn 2008.jpg
    acorn 2008.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 31
  • acorn 2008-2.jpg
    acorn 2008-2.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 31
  • acorn - 2019.jpg
    acorn - 2019.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 33
I have not heard anyone mention the old hen and chickens on constitution hill it's still there but it is a restaurant now (like a lot of old pubs)my mum worked there in the early 80s .she met dexys midnight runners(come on eileen)who use to drink in there when they were appearing in the cedar club round the corner,also the down and outs from the nearby salvation army by st Chad's cathedral were kicked out from the salvation army every morning and not let back till the evening so they had no where to go only walk round town or try and get in pubs to pass the time of day the gaffer of the pub use to allow some in as long as they spent money in the pub if not they would be kicked out(poor souls).also many plain clothed CID officers use to drink there who our mum said were the biggest crooks GOING! She use to make sandwiches and one day she told the gaffer the ham dont smell right all she said was put some mustard on it they would not know the difference but my mum threw the ham away anyway .t hey would not get away with that these days as everything has got to be dated. Also she worked at the sportsman inn on newtown row it was on the opposite side of the spartan steel works corner opposite a chip shop it was knocked down in the 60s.

I have not heard anyone mention the old hen and chickens on constitution hill it's still there but it is a restaurant now (like a lot of old pubs)my mum worked there in the early 80s .she met dexys midnight runners(come on eileen)who use to drink in there when they were appearing in the cedar club round the corner,also the down and outs from the nearby salvation army by st Chad's cathedral were kicked out from the salvation army every morning and not let back till the evening so they had no where to go only walk round town or try and get in pubs to pass the time of day the gaffer of the pub use to allow some in as long as they spent money in the pub if not they would be kicked out(poor souls).also many plain clothed CID officers use to drink there who our mum said were the biggest crooks GOING! She use to make sandwiches and one day she told the gaffer the ham dont smell right all she said was put some mustard on it they would not know the difference but my mum threw the ham away anyway .t hey would not get away with that these days as everything has got to be dated. Also she worked at the sportsman inn on newtown row it was on the opposite side of the spartan steel works corner opposite a chip shop it was knocked down in the 60s.

1977-1984 Would see me in there most dinner times , I only worked across the road in Henrietta St , the pub was managed in the early years by a woman in her mid to late 50's . In about 79/80 it was taken over by a Sikh gentleman and he ran it very successfully to my knowledge in 1984 the firm I worked for moved out to West Bromwich, funny thing was , our dinnertime was 12.15-1.15pm . The woman gaffer quickly latched on when we were leaving just before 1.15 " see you later it'll be on the bar " we used to nip back a 2.25 for a top up the pubs in those days close at 2.30 . Great days , especially listening to some of the stories from the less well off from the local Salvation Army

1977-1984 Would see me in there most dinner times , I only worked across the road in Henrietta St , the pub was managed in the early years by a woman in her mid to late 50's . In about 79/80 it was taken over by a Sikh gentleman and he ran it very successfully to my knowledge in 1984 the firm I worked for moved out to West Bromwich, funny thing was , our dinnertime was 12.15-1.15pm . The woman gaffer quickly latched on when we were leaving just before 1.15 " see you later it'll be on the bar " we used to nip back a 2.25 for a top up the pubs in those days close at 2.30 . Great days , especially listening to some of the stories from the less well off from the local Salvation Army
Yes the gaffer was called dot she had blonde hair and my mum was called ruby she came from the lamplighter pub she was only the gaffer for a few years .

Yes the gaffer was called dot she had blonde hair and my mum was called ruby she came from the lamplighter pub she was only the gaffer for a few years .

My word Sugar I remember Ruby very well , she was certainly a lady and a very good assistant , I seem to recall she came from Ireland am I right ?

Back