• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Court Farm Primary Tedbury Crescent School Erdington

Court Farm primary was my first school as well, as Miss Michel and was at the school for 2 years until 1968. I was thinking of my first class today as we were all affected by the horror of Aberfan. We sent toys to the survivors. I have very happy memories of the school but I am glad I am retired now. I am a governor at my grandchildren's school now and it seems impossible that we had time for a sit down and social chat at lunchtime. I am still in touch with Miss Powell,now with several grandchildren and one daughter a head teacher. Could go on at length but will look for photos.

I certainly remember you as Miss Michel. I was in Mr Sinclairs’ class at the time. I used to look after the rain gauge, you help us make the chart to plot the rainfall.

Yes that's right, sorry I cannot remember the Ford family. Near to me were the Hines, Ward, Webb, Crowe, Bissett. They were all children I played with and went to Court Farm.

I come from the Regan Cresent side of the school, but also had friends in Chipstead Road, both ends. used to play on the sandpits at the back of the council yard too.

I used to play in the sandpits, we could access it from my friends garden in Chipstead. The council yard is now a private company and you can see it from the gardens in Chipstead.

This photo came to light the other day (when Robinson Crusoe came round to see us) and oldMohawk and Frothblower very kindly restored it for me (thank you chaps).

I remember my brother (the highwayman) taking part and Mom making his costume but I can't remember what year it was. Probably mid-50's.

Here are the ones I can identify: Robinson Crusoe - John Hurdman, Highwayman - Alaric Bennett, Teacher - Mr Keeping, Queen Elizabeth I - Pauline Hackett, Runner - Roy Goulden, Jockey - David Smith, Mary Queen of Scots - Veronica Mold, Girl on Jockey's right - Brenda Smith, Sir Walter Raleigh - David Illingworth, middle elf - Brian Arthur, Man in bowler hat - Barry Hart. The young people in the photo are about 74 now.

Attachments

• Tedbury Crescent play about 1956..jpg
    Tedbury Crescent play about 1956..jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Super photo Pen and thanks to our expert restorers, they have done a splendid job. I think I recognise the setting as the air raid shelters at Court Farm School, the houses in the background are in Jerrys Lane.

I don't recall Mr Keeping as a teacher there, but I did not start until 1960

Hi Morturn, I was there until the summer of '58 and only vaguely remember the air-raid shelters. I do remember the poplar trees but couldn't get my orientation right. Must pop round and have a look.
I think Mr Keeping had left by the time I got further up the school and I'm still pondering the date of the picture. Perhaps someone may know. I've got a picture of Mr Mortiboys somewhere but haven't found it yet.

The first air raid shelters were removed around 1965, the ones in front of the caretakers house. They fenced off the remaining where the popular threes were. There have now go along with the ones behind the kitchen

I emailed a former pupil (3 years ahead of me - born Spring 1944) and he shared a memory from 1953. He recalls the whole of the school (maybe just juniors) being walked up in a crocodile to the Plaza Cinema on Stockland Green to watch films of the Coronation and the climbing of Everest.

Unfortunately he had no recollection of the play and therefore couldn't add to the names of the pupils on the picture. All is not lost though as I still have to 'interview' Mary Queen of Scots!

Stop all these memories, this has just reminded me that Turfpits Lane School was not good enough for me (mainly because all the other youngsters who lived around us went there) , so I had to go to Green Lanes, because it was in Sutton - my mother was a snob. But when did it change its name to Court Farm School. When I was born, I lived on the Sutton side of Court Lane and that entitled me to go to a Sutton school, my sister also went to Green Lanes and then Boldmere, so a second query what secondary school did eleven year olds from Turfpits Lane go to? A third query am I right in remembering an Erdington Grammar school and was it a girls school? How times change, when I left school at 16, I went straight to work. I have three grandsons, all just finished A levels and BTECs, one going to Birmingham (the original Russell Group university), one going to Swansea and his twin going to a prestigious Drama College in Kent. My granddaughter is about to start her second year at the university of Birmingham which apparently is not Birmingham University, how many universities have you got for goodness sake. Can Mike put the school on a map and also jog my memory with the roads around the school, especially Chipstead Road and its proximity to Streetly Road.
Bob

Bob

Turfpits Lane School was always called Turfpits Lane School until quite recently. It’s now called Oasis Academy Short Heath. Its located between Turfpits Lane and Streetly Road at the Jerrys Lane end.

Tedbury Crescent changed its name to Court Farm School Junior and Infants Schools sometime in the late 50’s. it’s now Court Farm School Primary School

Depending on if you passed your 11 plus or not, the secondary schools for kids from Turfpits Lane School would be Stockland Green, Warren farm, Perry Beaches or Perry Common Comp.

Kids from Court Farm School it was either Slade Road, Moor End Lane, Warren farm or Perry Beaches.

Erdington Grammar school was indeed a girl’s schools located on Kingsbury Road and Bromford Lane Erdington, now Erdington Academy.

Bob

Turfpits Lane School was always called Turfpits Lane School until quite recently. It’s now called Oasis Academy Short Heath. Its located between Turfpits Lane and Streetly Road at the Jerrys Lane end.

Tedbury Crescent changed its name to Court Farm School Junior and Infants Schools sometime in the late 50’s. it’s now Court Farm School Primary School

Depending on if you passed your 11 plus or not, the secondary schools for kids from Turfpits Lane School would be Stockland Green, Warren farm, Perry Beaches or Perry Common Comp.

Kids from Court Farm School it was either Slade Road, Moor End Lane, Warren farm or Perry Beaches.

Erdington Grammar school was indeed a girl’s schools located on Kingsbury Road and Bromford Lane Erdington, now Erdington Academy.
Very many thanks, for straightening all that up, blue blazers with an E on, I seem to remember for Erdington Grammar.

Bob

Bob,
Royal blue blazers with a bright pink shield and a blue 'E' to be precise. I can't wear those colours together even now without thinking I'm back at school.

Morturn,
I was searching through my photos the other day and found the one of Mr Mortiboys. I'm sitting on his lap (wouldn't be allowed today!) and a note on the back says that it was taken my Mr H which I presume means Mr Hill. We were on the only school trip I went on and I think it was something to do with puffins but can't remember what. I seem to remember that the girl next to us was named Janice but don't know who the boys were.

Attachments

• PJ school pic.jpg
    PJ school pic.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 49
Back