• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ephraim phillips ltd

Hello Peter,i retired eighteen months ago from Royal Mail engineers after thirty one years .I left the screw trade in 1982 from Griffin Fastners,i live in Kings Norton
Birmingham not far from the Green.Iwould be very gratful for the telephone numbers.d

I worked for Douglas Phillips from 68 to 73 I remember his wife Mona and her son Jim Keebel who worked with us, there was also Mr Simms and Mr Davis, Alan Snape. In the drawing department was Ian Harrop Richard ?? and Terry Stacy. I loved it there and only left to marry and move South.

I worked in the office of EP from 1968 to 1973

Douglas Phillips and his wife Mona and her son Jim Keebel also worked with us. I remember a few names from the office;

Mr Simms, Mr Davies, Alec Harris, Alan Snape and in the drawing office was Ian Harrop, Richard ??? Terry Stacey and I think there was a WallyCheese.:fat:

I worked in the office of EP from 1968 to 1973

Douglas Phillips and his wife Mona and her son Jim Keebel also worked with us. I remember a few names from the office;

Mr Simms, Mr Davies, Alec Harris, Alan Snape and in the drawing office was Ian Harrop, Richard ??? Terry Stacey and I think there was a WallyCheese.:fat:

Hi CaroleC, I remember all the above people Richards surname was Hide. There was also Kelvyn Cooper, Derick Price, Derick More in the office at that time. Terry Stacey brother Mike work in the maintenance dept.

I must know you, I worked with Bill Huckfield he was a very miserable man, and a lady called Nancy. I then went to reception with Ann the big blonde with the even bigger buffont! I remember Jim Keevil, mona Phillips son also worked with us. Mr Simms and next door Mr Davis.
I remember a Peter in our office worked next to the telex machine.

I worked at EP from late 60s until 1973 in reception.Does anyone remember the name of the pub at the bottom of Bissell street towards Digbeth where a lot of us used to go for our xmas drink, and every Friday of course.

I think the pub at the bottom of Bissel st was called the Town Crier .The pub next to Ephraims was the Sir Charles Napier i used to go for a drink with
Walley Cheese who used to work in the tool room.

Hi Peter, light bulb moment, of course I remember you, did you have a young girl called Linda work with you for awhile and then Margaret who married Gordon. I have lost track of Margaret Thorn and Ann Siddorn does anyone know of them.

I was an apprentice in the 60's at Ephraim Phillips Ltd in Bissell Street. It would be great to contact fellow work mates.
I also have many old ledgers which belonged to the founder Ephraim Phillips dating back to the 1880's, which I found in a rubbish bin when the company was closing down.

Peter

My grandmother, Cecilia Costello nee Kelly, started work age 12 in 1896 at Ephraim Phillips.
A CD and booklet are being produced about her life and songs she used to sing.
I would dearly love to find any information about her work at Ephraim Phillips screw factory.
Is it possible for me to view the old ledgers, please?

Regards
Patrick Costello
contact 01527 872968
Mobile 07828666581
Email [email protected]

My dad worked at EP when I was little maybe late 70s to early 80s his name was Michael Stacey. I remember going to Christmas parties there

Mick Stacey was my dad. Terry is my uncle. Tho I was little I don't remember him working there just dad taking us to Christmas parties when I was little

Hello tezzers, I remember your Dad Mike he work in the maintenance department, Alan Watkins was the foreman. I also remember your uncle Terry who was a very good footballer.

looking at this thread reminded me that I used to work at Ephraim Phillips. When I left school in 1964 I started there as a trainee "rolled thread fastener operative", embarked on a City & Guilds course along with I think, 5 others. Two of us were employed by EP and the others came from factories in Coventry and London. In between our theoretical studies at Selly Oak tech. college we carried out our practical training in Bissel St, the small training workshop was on the first floor at the back of the factory overlooking the River Rea.
We also (the two of us who worked for EP) had to rotate in the various areas of the factory, on the heading/threading and slotting machines.
After 12months and obtaining a C&G certificate, I decided that a factory life was not for me and left to work for what was Midlands Electricity Board as an apprentice cable jointer, staying in the electrical distribution industry for the last 49 years.
I often wander how my life would have turned out if I had stayed there at EP instead.

I worked at Ephraim Phillips in the 60s in many different office roles, I remember Ann Siddorn, Margaret Thorn, Peter Barnett, Carol Connelly, Mr Simms etc.,

Peter

I know you wrote this some time ago, but I am Ephraim's granddaughter ie Douglas's daughter. I am interested to pursue the history of Ephraim, but wonder whether you still have those old ledgers?

Best wishes

Hazel

Hello there.

I hope that this reaches you as it is some years since you posted your note. However, we must be related. Ephraim was my great grandfather, Howard my grandfather and Douglas my father. So where do you fit in the family?

By the way, I think the book referred to might be 'Balsall Heath, a history' which I saw in the Birmingham Library.

Interested to hear from you!

Best wishes

Hazel

I worked in the fastener/Bolts/screws and nuts business my whole life and finally retired as General Manager of a fastener company in Canda. I started out aged 15 at John Bradley on Holloway head, worked at Thomas Eaves in Ernest street, Ephraim Phillips in Balsall Heath, Haddon and Stokes and Headings in Digbeth, Baxters in Sheepcote street, GKN Newtons in Nechells.
Mickey Breen ran a trainng school funded by all of the Fastener companies in Brum and Coventry and Wasall and located in the upstairs of Haddon and Stokes. What a shame that a whole industry has gone now, it was a great business to be in with a great bunch of people.
CBirch, when was it that you worked at Baxters? Which department? Grateful any info.

Hello tezzers, I remember your Dad Mike he work in the maintenance department, Alan Watkins was the foreman. I also remember your uncle Terry who was a very good footballer.
Hi Peter
I've only just come across this thread, I think I remember you, I worked just down the road in bissell street opposite the pig and whistle pub, I was good friends with Alan and Malcolm who were in there every afternoon without fail, when I started my business they let me set up a little work shop upstairs, I remember all you guys helping me get all my gear up there in that dodgy lift, then it was sold off and everyone was moved out, happy days tho

Hallo I hope you dont mind me posting but when I was training as a civil servant in the jobcentre we were taken down to Ephraim Phillips for a tour around the factory to see the process from start to finish. I used to love doing visits like this but it wasnt always encouraged. It was a fascinating place to see the press work cnc etc it was funny because at 12 oclock the hooter went and I have never seen people move so fast it was I think Friday

Back