• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

For readers who are one year older than Vic and the Rogers - here's a photo of 1S from the September 1960 intake - form master Mr R M Long. I can still do all the names - and know the whereabouts of 6 or 7 of them.

Vic - the Scottish maths teacher? - Mr Thomson? - he was my maths inspiration.

Roger - do you know if Mr Fletcher ever got the school go-kart project finished? - I remember helping weld the frame together in Handsworth Tech. School workshop.

Lordswood 1S.jpg

- do you know if Mr Fletcher ever got the school go-kart project finished? - I remember helping weld the frame together in Handsworth Tech. School workshop.

I can't say I remember a go-kart project. I certainly never went over to Handsworth Tech. I seem to recall an old car being restored in the workshop at Lordswood although I wasn't personally involved.

Yes, I was in the September 1961 intake and came in from Summerfield Junior School. Your memory is better than mine and you're right that my surname begins with P - "Roger Parker".

I've attached three class photos. One is of 1J, with Form Master Mr Ashby - I'm 4th from the left in the 2nd row from the back.

Another is of 5A, with Mr Fletcher - I'm 6th from the left, back row. (Is this the same as your 5 Alpha photo?)

The final photo is of U6Sc with Mr Rhodes - I'm 3rd from the left, in the 2nd row from the back.

I can remember a few of the names, but not many. I lost contact with all my compatriots when I left in 1968 to go to university and I've not seen any of them since.

Roger those photos are amazing! I did know your surname but not from memory, I had to ring a friend. The U6Sc photo has Paul Turley standing just two away from you at the start of row 2. We've been lifelong pals and I knew he would help me with identifying you. I didn't reveal your full surname as some folks prefer not to on open forums.
A bunch of us all stayed in touch after school - I'm still in touch with David Shelton (from 1J) ,David Lindley (from 1S), Paul Turley and Paul keeps in touch with Bernard Dooling. I also spent time with Neil Burr and Steve Williams during the early 70's.
My photo of 5 Alpha is a similar shot to your 5A but obviously a completely different set of faces. I'm amazed that I can recall most of the names - I'll dig out the scanner during the weekend and get the pic loaded.
Our paths didn't cross at school, different forms all through but from seeing photos we did share some common friendships. Best regards, Roger.

Roger those photos are amazing! I did know your surname but not from memory, I had to ring a friend. The U6Sc photo has Paul Turley standing just two away from you at the start of row 2. We've been lifelong pals and I knew he would help me with identifying you. I didn't reveal your full surname as some folks prefer not to on open forums.
A bunch of us all stayed in touch after school - I'm still in touch with David Shelton (from 1J) ,David Lindley (from 1S), Paul Turley and Paul keeps in touch with Bernard Dooling. I also spent time with Neil Burr and Steve Williams during the early 70's.
My photo of 5 Alpha is a similar shot to your 5A but obviously a completely different set of faces. I'm amazed that I can recall most of the names - I'll dig out the scanner during the weekend and get the pic loaded.
Our paths didn't cross at school, different forms all through but from seeing photos we did share some common friendships. Best regards, Roger.

I remember Paul Turley, Bernard Dooling and Neil Burr! I'm afraid the other names you mention don't ring a bell after all these years. I'd also forgotten that there was a 5th form class with the alpha suffix - hence my strange question!

I've attached a further photo, which is of the whole of the Upper Sixth in 1968, along with Messrs Harkness and Balsom. Mr Harkness gave the impression of being a fearsome character although he did teach me maths at one point and revealed an amiable side to his character. Mr Balsom always seemed a cheerful chap but I was never taught by him.

The teacher who had the most terrifying disposition was Mr Hepton, Head of Science, and I always counted myself lucky that I was never in one of his classes.

I have fond memories of Mr Rhodes (chemistry), Mr Woods (physics - and he used to take me and one or two others sailing on Edgbaston Reservoir), Mr Reinstein (maths), Mr Bond (maths) and Mr Betts (metalwork). Mr Betts used to tell us his dog could do better, and in my case he was not wrong.

It's interesting to reminisce about old times!

Best wishes, Roger

Attachments

• Lordswood, U6, 1968.jpg
    Lordswood, U6, 1968.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123
Here is the promised photo of form 5Alpha - taken in Spring/Summer 1966.
I can list most of the names if anyone is interested, there are just 5 or 6 that I'm struggling to remember.
I'm 3rd along the back row between Steve Skidmore and ? Alan Bradbury?

Roger P - another great photo, really impressed you've kept them all in good condition.

Malvernian - I'm unable to open that photo up, maybe it's me? The only name that comes to mind from one year above is Robert Taylor. He was at my junior school, Camden Street, and was in the Sept. 1960 intake.

Attachments

• 5 Alpha - 1966003.jpg
    5 Alpha - 1966003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
Roger B - I'll reattach the photo - but it seems ok from this end. Name Robert Taylor rings a bell but I guess he must have been in the J, F or N stream. Like Roger P, I came from Summerfield school - or Dudley Road school as I knew it.

Lordswood 1S.jpg

Here is the promised photo of form 5Alpha - taken in Spring/Summer 1966.
I can list most of the names if anyone is interested, there are just 5 or 6 that I'm struggling to remember.
I'm 3rd along the back row between Steve Skidmore and ? Alan Bradbury?

Lovely photo, Roger. Yours is also in very good condition. Mine have been in an album since I was at school!

I can recognise a lot of the faces in 5Alpha, including yours, but I wouldn't be able to name them. Photos such as these certainly turn the clock back but it's hard to imagine this was nearly 53 years ago.

Maybe some of you will remember Mr Betts - photo October 1967. Viv.
Yes, I remember Mr Betts - he supposedly had a dog and he liked to tell us that the dog could do a better job than we were doing - which many of us couldn't really dispute. A stop press announcement in the 1963 issue of the school magazine reported that the dog had passed its 11 plus!

I've got a school magazine from 1962 together with a very poor photocopy of form 1S.
Inside the front cover of the magazine, I had all my class mates sign their name. Strangely, there is no sign of "Vic".
There is however a signature from a certain RJM. Only this RJM would know all this stuff and particularly the scooter reference. This morning's post on Smithfield garage added to the theory.
I understand the need to remain anonymous on public forums and of course you just might have changed your name.
Whatever, we did spend time together after school and shared a lot of laughs. I hope you have kept well and are enjoying retirement. If I'm out of order here, my apologies to Vic for not remembering you. Regards, Roger & out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were my recollections of the house colours as well. I remember some of the names you mention - George Foley, Steve Skidmore and Adrian Bolton - although I don't remember what they looked like, not that that would be much use if I bumped into them now.
I remember playground fights and long ice slides. I also recall the long winter of 62/63. No one clamored for the school to be shut and everyone seemed to make their way in, either on foot or by bus.
I didn't much enjoy school life until the 6th Form when we were suddenly given much more freedom, including our own common room and at least one free period a day, which many of us spent playing bridge.

Last edited:
Thought you might be interested in the attached photo. A new school building is being built on what was the old school playground. I understand the old building will then be demolished.
The picture was taken from the Extrcare Retirement Village which overlooks the school and playing fields. It shows the gym (left foreground). At 90 degrees to it is the school hall (behind the tree), with the offices and main school building to the right.

Attachments

• 988AB631-5D11-407E-832B-254F070D79E7.jpeg
    988AB631-5D11-407E-832B-254F070D79E7.jpeg
    978.7 KB · Views: 99
That's very interesting, Mervyn, building a new school in the grounds of the old. I think the original building dates back to the late 1950s so is probably overdue for replacement. Thanks for sharing.

Time flies!! Lordswood Grammar Technical School for Girls was only a few years old when I was there!! Are there any plans to rebuild/replace it?
rosie.

Thought you might be interested in the attached photo. A new school building is being built on what was the old school playground. I understand the old building will then be demolished.
The picture was taken from the Extrcare Retirement Village which overlooks the school and playing fields. It shows the gym (left foreground). At 90 degrees to it is the school hall (behind the tree), with the offices and main school building to the right.
Thanks for the info. I'll go and have a look. I think the school opened in 1957.

Good morning "Vic". I've got a school magazine from 1962 together with a very poor photocopy of form 1S.
Inside the front cover of the magazine, I had all my class mates sign their name. Strangely, there is no sign of "Vic".
There is however a signature from a certain RJM. Only this RJM would know all this stuff and particularly the scooter reference. This morning's post on Smithfield garage added to the theory.
I understand the need to remain anonymous on public forums and of course you just might have changed your name.
Whatever, we did spend time together after school and shared a lot of laughs. I hope you have kept well and are enjoying retirement. If I'm out of order here, my apologies to Vic for not remembering you. Regards, Roger & out.

Last edited:
Edit. The tennis courts were used but I hated tennis! Mostly they were used for netball.
rosie.

Last edited by a moderator:
!963 - 1970. ! & 2B, 3,4,5
Those were my recollections of the house colours as well. I remember some of the names you mention - George Foley, Steve Skidmore and Adrian Bolton - although I don't remember what they looked like, not that that would be much use if I bumped into them now.
I remember playground fights and long ice slides. I also recall the long winter of 62/63. No one clamored for the school to be shut and everyone seemed to make their way in, either on foot or by bus.
I didn't much enjoy school life until the 6th Form when we were suddenly given much more freedom, including our own common room and at least one free period a day, which many of us spent playing bridge.
Adrian Bolton is at the far right, front row of the picture of 5 Apha posted by Roger Blower on Feb 1 2019

!963 - 1970. ! & 2B, 3,4,5

Adrian Bolton is at the far right, front row of the picture of 5 Apha posted by Roger Blower on Feb 1 2019
Good morning Quinton
You can obviously identify Adrian. Are you on the photo yourself or perhaps you wish to remain anonymous?
Regards, Roger

No Roger, I'm not there. I was at Lordswood between 1963-70 (1&2B, 3,4 & 5 Alpha, L&U6A). I know Ada Bolton well but haven't seem him for some time. I knew all the Bolton family. A great friend of mine was Steve 'Skid' Bolton who also went to Lordswood. Interesting being reminded of some of the names mentioned here. I will see what other teachers I can recall. By the way, I enjoyed my time at Lordswood.

No Roger, I'm not there. I was at Lordswood between 1963-70 (1&2B, 3,4 & 5 Alpha, L&U6A). I know Ada Bolton well but haven't seem him for some time. I knew all the Bolton family. A great friend of mine was Steve 'Skid' Bolton who also went to Lordswood. Interesting being reminded of some of the names mentioned here. I will see what other teachers I can recall. By the way, I enjoyed my time at Lordswood.
Thanks for confirming Quinton. We all knew Adrian as "Ada" and that seems to have stuck. Ada was a big pal of Andy Hunt, tall guy on the back row with dark hair and the mod haircut. If you do happen to run into him, please pass on my regards.

These teachers may not have been mentioned so far.

English: V.J Jones (would make us all bowl to him in the nets at lunchtimes), Ludlam, Enefer, Checkley (came into school one day wearing one brown and one black shoe and we all loitered outside the staff room to get a look), Tony Hale and Merv Minovi (two young very good teachers and really nice people). Geography: Owen Smith, McCourt. History: Meyrick. Brettle. German: Abel (my first form teacher), Conyers. Metalwork: Silcox. PE: Higget, Richards. Biology: Pearson. Physics & Geology: Rhodes (really nice bloke).

A few Lordswood press cuttings from the 1960s to jog the memories. Viv.
I came across this forum and thread and was starting to think I lived in the twilight zone. Many of the things mentioned I have no memories of, one being the observatory. I was a pupil from 1960 to 67 and, as a member of the 6th form science track was required to take wood working which I thought was a complete waste of time. I was assigned the design and manufacture of the litter bins which I absolutely hated. Suffice it to say, I was dragged along by my ear until they were completed. The pictures posted immediately brought those memories to the fore.
Other vivid memories are having the smallpox shot, being caned by Mr. Balsom for being rowdy in the corridors, and participating in the productions of Pirates of Penzance and Iolanthe where we finally got to mix with the girls from across the playing fields.

I remember Paul Turley, Bernard Dooling and Neil Burr! I'm afraid the other names you mention don't ring a bell after all these years. I'd also forgotten that there was a 5th form class with the alpha suffix - hence my strange question!

I've attached a further photo, which is of the whole of the Upper Sixth in 1968, along with Messrs Harkness and Balsom. Mr Harkness gave the impression of being a fearsome character although he did teach me maths at one point and revealed an amiable side to his character. Mr Balsom always seemed a cheerful chap but I was never taught by him.

The teacher who had the most terrifying disposition was Mr Hepton, Head of Science, and I always counted myself lucky that I was never in one of his classes.

I have fond memories of Mr Rhodes (chemistry), Mr Woods (physics - and he used to take me and one or two others sailing on Edgbaston Reservoir), Mr Reinstein (maths), Mr Bond (maths) and Mr Betts (metalwork). Mr Betts used to tell us his dog could do better, and in my case he was not wrong.

It's interesting to reminisce about old times!

Best wishes, Roger
I remember Mr Hepton, I had him for 6th form chemistry. He wasn't pleased when he caught us making Fulminate of Mercury in the Lab. I do think though, he was impressed that he managed to cram some knowledge into our heads.

The other teacher I remember well was Mr. Davies, Head of the Geography department. Late on (5th form), a group of us went with him to walk the Pennine Way camping or stopping at youth hostels. Ironically, the day before we were due to ascend Kinder Scout, Mr Davies turned his ankle negotiating a stone wall, and we had to head home. He was a great guy !

I came across this forum and thread and was starting to think I lived in the twilight zone. Many of the things mentioned I have no memories of, one being the observatory. I was a pupil from 1960 to 67 and, as a member of the 6th form science track was required to take wood working which I thought was a complete waste of time. I was assigned the design and manufacture of the litter bins which I absolutely hated. Suffice it to say, I was dragged along by my ear until they were completed. The pictures posted immediately brought those memories to the fore.
Other vivid memories are having the smallpox shot, being caned by Mr. Balsom for being rowdy in the corridors, and participating in the productions of Pirates of Penzance and Iolanthe where we finally got to mix with the girls from across the playing fields.
I was a year behind you (61-68) and I well remember the productions of The Pirates of Penzance and Iolanthe, although I didn't take part. At the time I thought they were really impressively done and they sparked an interest I still have in Gilbert and Sullivan. I also remember a couple of other school plays - Macbeth and The Importance of Being Ernest. The school never shirked a challenge when it came to theatre.

I did sciences for A level but there was no requirement to do wood work at that stage. I'd had my fill of wood work and metal work in my first two years at the school. Looking back, wood work in particular was badly taught and we seem to have spent the first term planing a piece of rough sawn wood until it was straight and square, which bored me to tears. Perhaps useful if I had had plans to become a cabinet maker but a waste of time for DIY.

The other teacher I remember well was Mr. Davies, Head of the Geography department. Late on (5th form), a group of us went with him to walk the Pennine Way camping or stopping at youth hostels. Ironically, the day before we were due to ascend Kinder Scout, Mr Davies turned his ankle negotiating a stone wall, and we had to head home. He was a great guy !
Thanks for posting that - brings back all sorts of memories.
The full title back in those days was "Lordswood Boys' Technical School"
I served my time between Sept 1961 and July 1966. I think the school had only been open for 3 or 4 years at that point?

Having passed the eleven plus at Camden Street Primary school, the choice of schools was mainly traditional grammar schools like George Dixon or Handsworth Grammar. The "Technical" school was a fairly new choice and majored on practical skills like woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing. Language taught was German as again this was deemed to be tech/engineering speak at the time.
The single storey block in the foreground of the photo was the metal and woodworking shops.

It soon dawned on me that my practical skills were zero and dropped the subjects for grammar and science based stuff!
Turned out to be a wrong choice for me but for those school pals who were more practical they were able to flourish.
Still in touch with a few of the 1961 entrants - we've all just reached retirement age and starting a whole new chapter!
Hello everyone. I have enjoyed reading all the memories on here. I was a 2nd year intake when the school opened in 1957 placed in form 2D, and left in 1961. My first form master was Gil Jones, P.E. Master. My house was Telford. Good memories of Mr Reinstein, maths, Mr Hawkridge, history, Mr Davies, geography and many more. I am still in touch with a few old school pals. I must dig out some class photos and post them on here.
[/

Back