• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

A fantastic selection. Probably far too many things to comment upon; however, I did notice another wringer shop :D.
M&B made big efforts to promote their products in Ansells territory is seems. Of course there are those who preferred it of course. ;)

Lynn, you are a star, I haven’t posted for quite a while. These are awesome, there aren’t any words that would express my joy at seeing these photos, l have experienced all sorts of emotions looking at them, god bless you.

the pleasure is all mine to get a reaction such as yours makes it all worth while...i make it 44 photos posted so just the 3 to resize..ps you can put away the kleenex now :D

lyn

Lyn....Thank you so very much....the very first photo is one I have been looking for , for years.....the baby in the middle of the photograph is my Aunt.....she is now 83, her mother is not holding her, she is sitting to the left as you look at the photo, her dad is on the far left with his arms around a young lad, not her brother, her brothers are the two lads with school caps on sitting at the front .......Cannot wait to show her this......

oh wow john i am so made up for you...i think i have a little tear in my eye now :D

lyn

Hi Lyn, is the garage in photo 3 Frank Grounds? If so where on Lichfield Road was it? My dad worked there in the 1950's I believe

Hi Lyn, is the garage in photo 3 Frank Grounds? If so where on Lichfield Road was it? My dad worked there in the 1950's I believe

yes mort it is...there is also a better photo of frank grounds on post 181 pic 5..sorry i dont know the exact location...both are taken in the 1950s so your dad maybe on them

Last edited:
It was located not far from the junction with Victoria Road going towards Aston Station....I am not sure if he had a car sales on the corner of Lichfield Road and Church Lane, he did have some premises on Church Lane within a a few feet of Victoria Road as well....

It was located not far from the junction with Victoria Road going towards Aston Station....I am not sure if he had a car sales on the corner of Lichfield Road and Church Lane, he did have some premises on Church Lane within a a few feet of Victoria Road as well....

1940 Kelly's
186-188 Lichfield Road Frank Grounds Motorcar agent

to me these photographs are priceless and i still have not had time to pour over them properly....compere them to todays lichfield road..no life..no smells...no sounds...utterley boring with the heart ripped out of it....

lyn

to me these photographs are priceless and i still have not had time to pour over them properly....compere them to todays lichfield road..no life..no smells...no sounds...utterley boring with the heart ripped out of it....

lyn

Spot on there Lyn. Lichfield Road must have undertook one of the most significant amounts of social change I have ever seen. Once a vibrant community of shop, pubs and people, now an almost lonely area devoid of anything social or community.

Spot on there Lyn. Lichfield Road must have undertook one of the most significant amounts of social change I have ever seen. Once a vibrant community of shop, pubs and people, now an almost lonely area devoid of anything social or community.
Just about sums up life today...so glad to have grown up in a world with character and social harmony.
Dave A

and this is called PROGRESS mort?? for traffic maybe but to me the loss of a whole community and way of life is just not worth it...moan over

lyn

Back