• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Probably fight you for the chaise longue Alan. Rather partial to dining chairs #2and #4 from left. Now wondering what the item is lying across those chairs ? Viv.

I had a chaise longue, plus 2 'tub' chairs and 4 dining chairs - it was known as a 7 piece parlour suite - many years ago. It suffered from the effects of central heating on the old-fashioned fish glue so it had to go. We did support the broken leg of the chaise with a G clamp for many years but it rather destroyed the ambience....! Unfortunately, unless you had time to recline on the chaise it was incredibly uncomfortable too and took up a lot of room. I'm afraid I go for comfort now rather than appearance as I did in the 1960's.

Yes of course, I see it now. Thanks all.

That parlour suite sounds interesting Lady P. What a lot of pieces in one set. Originally it must have cost a lot of money. Viv.

Hi Bazzm & Morturn
I put this one on, as i wonderd if you may have popped in here for a drink.

Image12_Church_Tavern_Lichfield_Rd.jpg

Stars
My local pub. Lived in waterworks street at the time.

ON the other side of the road and lower down, I started my 2nd job aged 15 at Hercules Cycles in May 1945, the year and month the war in Europe finished. Eric
Did Hercules cycles become part of Hercules manor mills at some time. My mum & I think my dad worked there.

My earliest memories(1951, 3 years old), we lived opposite Salford Park in a terrible old house next door to a brass foundry. Tiny kitchen, about 4' square and loo in the back yard. Canal 10' from house. The coal barges used to drift down to the power station up Tyburn rd way. Me and Dad(Cyril Bellison) would throw a rope and pull one in to get our coal! Dad worked at Birlec, Tyburn rd, bottom of Hawkesyard rd.
Nan and Grandad Chick(Albert and Liza) lived 54 Hawkesyard rd and had a little wooden hut transport cafe bottom of Hawkesyard rd, on Tyburn rd. Used to love the corned beef sarnies with brown sauce. Fray Bentos from big longcatering size tins. Iwas about 5 when the warehouse a few yards from Grandaf's cafe caught fire. It was full of Fry's and other chocolate stuff. The water damaged boxes were thrown out on the road and i went with my trolley and carted a heap away. Inside the thickboxes most was undamaged. Grandad sold it in the cafe for months! I got a new( 2nd hand) bike!.
Grandad was a bookie on the side and took bets in the cafe, as well as on course, i think this was the main income.Illegal in those days, i used to be sent to another shop down Gravelly Hill every Sat morning with a bag of cash and bets to "lay off", strict instructions to go straight there, talk to no one, and keep the bag safe! I got sixpence from the man in the shop.
We moved to a brand new house in Collingbourne Ave, Hodge Hill area in about 1954 or thereabouts.

hi folks i have about 47 photos of lichfield road...had a quick look through this thread and i think most of them have not been posted before even if they have its better to have them twice than not to have them at all...i will get them on asap

lyn

will make a start now folks.......as always there is no objection to sharing these on other forums etc but if you do could you just credit birmingham history forum please...also if you hover over the photos in most cases a date and number of the property come up...hope they are of interest to some of you and hopefully a few new ones

lyn

Aston - Lichfield Road - 1931.jpgAston - Lichfield Road - Ansells Brewery - 26-10-1969.jpgAston - Lichfield Road - Red Lion Inn M&B - 7-2-1970.jpgAston - Lichfield Road 2.jpgAston - Lichfield Road.jpgLichfield Road  1.jpgLichfield Road - Church Road Aston 4-2-1971.jpgLichfield Road - Church Road Aston 7-2-1971.jpgLichfield Road - Church Road Aston 12-11-1964.jpgLichfield Road - Sutherland Road Parker Photographics Aston.jpg

Lyn....Thank you so very much....the very first photo is one I have been looking for , for years.....the baby in the middle of the photograph is my Aunt.....she is now 83, her mother is not holding her, she is sitting to the left as you look at the photo, her dad is on the far left with his arms around a young lad, not her brother, her brothers are the two lads with school caps on sitting at the front .......Cannot wait to show her this......

Back