• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

Hi everyone my old account got locked for which i don't know why. Anyway good news, we finally have the Norton plaque back up!!! Thanks to Norton Bikes for helping us and due to release a publication in the newspaper
That looks absolutely lovely Sandhu. A massive thank you to you & norton bikes in keeping the history alive. Glad you have got your account up & running again too. I will definitely be coming down. Will let you know more nearer the date, but hopefully, it will be in the next few weeks.

Hi Lyn,
The picture of man and boy is taken at the junction of Miller Street and Bracbridge Street looking directly up Miller Street in the direction of the Tram (later Bus ) Depot and Newtown Row. The premises on the corner I'm sure is an Outdoor but I will confirm that with my brother Arthur. The bollard in the picture is on the corner of Shefford Road and Miller Street.
Thanks very much Lyn. I will pursue the other picture, Back of No 41, which would have been a bit further down and on the other side of the road to where I lived Back of 26. We're getting warmer!
I remember the bus garage, I can also remember a park opposite but it was all white gravel & if you fell on it, it didn't half graze your knees

Mikejee,
where do you get these maps from as I lived at 160 Bracebridge Street and would like to obtain old maps and photos of my old home plus the immediate locality?
Thanks
David Bunford
Hi Dave I am new to this site I am sure my mum was best friends with your mum.my mum was called ruby Roger's and she lived at 174 bracebridge st and your mum used to babysit my 2 elder brothers around 1957she also gave us your old toys I remember one was a game I think called climb Everest which had 4 plastic men attached to each other and we had to climb a cardboard mountain. I may be wrong but we new her as Mrs bamford and she always wore a full apron and we lost touch when we lost her address when we moved in 1971.i remember you all moved far away like Devon I think. I may be wrong but we did know a Mrs bunford.

Hi Dave I am new to this site I am sure my mum was best friends with your mum.my mum was called ruby Roger's and she lived at 174 bracebridge st and your mum used to babysit my 2 elder brothers around 1957she also gave us your old toys I remember one was a game I think called climb Everest which had 4 plastic men attached to each other and we had to climb a cardboard mountain. I may be wrong but we new her as Mrs bamford and she always wore a full apron and we lost touch when we lost her address when we moved in 1971.i remember you all moved far away like Devon I think. I may be wrong but we did know a Mrs bunford.
Hello Dave. I lived in Bracebridge street too (number 20), at the aston road end, near the traffic lights. I am like yourself & would dearly love to see photo's of all the house in our street before they were demolished. I have only seen photo's of where my house used to be. I really loved my time there, & went to school around the corner at Elkington street.

Hi There, I've come across some photographs from Coronation Day 1953 on what I believe is Bracebridge Street (please correct me if I'm wrong) I know The Keough's lived at number 195 and that they were still there at this time as I have addressed letters.
Yes definitely bracebridge street as pic num 10 shows 174 and 176 my parents bought 174 around 1955-56 we were very lucky we had a bathroom built on from the kitchen when they bought it which was very rare in them days ,I remember my mum telling me the people they bought it from the husband was high up in the some union and was well off also the alleyway at the side of our house led on to another alley that took you through to ashford street where spartan steel factory was .The factory next to our house I do not know what it was called but it extended all the way round the corner and up ashford street.Great PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not entirely sure of the year OR the school but the lady in the front row, 4th from the left, is my mother-in-law and was born in 1942. She lived at Bracebridge Street until at least 1954 so it would be a local school.

lovely photo..looks like your mom in law has a bandaged left knee..she looks about 6 or 7 to me certainly taken at infants and junior school

lyn

Just had another look - you can just make out 'CLIFFORD'S CAFE' on the window in St Stephen's St. I never knew it had Five Ways Coffee House on the front. I wonder what it started life as? You can also make out the mirror behind the counter. Uncle Arthur used to keep his car in the yard at the back, through the doors in Bracebridge Street.
Hi I know it's an old post but I do know the last people to own this cafe was an Italian couple called the fabrees my brother use to go with there son to the same grammar school in the late 60s till the early 70s when we left and I am sure they left the same time.you never know they might of bought the cafe from your uncle.

Hi I know it's an old post but I do know the last people to own this cafe was an Italian couple called the fabrees my brother use to go with there son to the same grammar school in the late 60s till the early 70s when we left and I am sure they left the same time.you never know they might of bought the cafe from your uncle.

Well Sugar, I think you could well be right! My Uncle and Aunt sold the cafe in about 67/68 and moved to Wylde Green. I don't know anything about the new owners though. I don't think the cafe survived for much longer as everything was flattened in the redevelopment. It was a funny building with most of the rooms designed to fit the corner plot.

Well Sugar, I think you could well be right! My Uncle and Aunt sold the cafe in about 67/68 and moved to Wylde Green. I don't know anything about the new owners though. I don't think the cafe survived for much longer as everything was flattened in the redevelopment. It was a funny building with most of the rooms designed to fit the corner plot.
Yes we had to move no one had a choice it was compulsary purchase so we got paid for our house plus the moving costs this was in 1972 ,years later we found out the family next door who were a lovely Sikh family never took the first offer they were offered and refused to leave until they got more money which they probably got so we missed out we did not know we could do this we were so nieve in them DAYS!

Sugar, I think that happened to a lot of people especially the older generation who were brought up to respect/fear authority. I know my husband's mom and dad accepted a paltry sum (£50) for their house in Bordesley Green and he was still paying the (private) mortgage on it years later. The council seemed to think it was fine as they'd given them a rented property.

Back