• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They took us to the sea

I have seen those high tides at Weston! The sea was coming over the wall onto the road and onto the car, it was evening time and the lights were on round the bay and the Pier, it was quite scary.
I like Weston but haven't been away for many years now, I expect it has changed alot
rosie.

I have seen those high tides at Weston! The sea was coming over the wall onto the road and onto the car, it was evening time and the lights were on round the bay and the Pier, it was quite scary.
I like Weston but haven't been away for many years now, I expect it has changed alot
rosie.
Very little, some of the big houses along the front are now flats, one or two of the hotels have gone, the railway is down to a single line and only one station and the traffic is still as bad. There has been expansion back towards the motorway in Worle and slong the outer perimeter of the town, but Weston is still the candy floss, beach donkey and no sea place it always was and now of course there is the grand pier. A lot of the locals are originally from Birmingham.

Bob

once again i have just watched this wonderful video film and once again with tears in my eyes...where are these children now? i wish they would come forward...i do hope they came home with rosy cheeks and happy...i shall be going to weston next week with my 3 year old grandson ..we will go on the pier and on the beach and i will be thinking of the children in this film..link is below

lyn

once again i have just watched this wonderful video film and once again with tears in my eyes...where are these children now? i wish they would come forward...i do hope they came home with rosy cheeks and happy...i shall be going to weston next week with my 3 year old grandson ..we will go on the pier and on the beach and i will be thinking of the children in this film..link is below

lyn

dont forget your brolly lyn.

Lyn,

I hadn't seen that video before - excellent! Amazing how some of the kids just woofed down the food and others were a bit wary. But they all seemed to have a good time - all they need now is a reunion. 56 years ago so all would be in their 60s now. Have a good time yourself with your grandson and don't forget the fish & chips! :cool:

Maurice

lyn

lyn, someone on face book did come forward as one of the children in the video a few weeks back.

There is nothing wrong with Weston Super Mare, the tide comes in and goes out again like any other seaside town, my grand-kid's like it there and it's an easy short journey from Birmingham, what more can you ask. This photo was taken in the 70's It shows myself, my wife, my daughter and two of my nephews. The sand doesn't look like mud to me and the sea is close enough for a swim if you feel like one.

View attachment 136302

lovely family photo phil

lyn

Back