• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Row

Some details on the right hand door of 78-84 Colmore Row. Above is a ghost sign for "Co-operative Permanent".

No date for this image but looks early1900s. Viv.

Attachments

• 79A9E091-7E24-4EDE-A3BF-5FD2628EC868.jpeg
    79A9E091-7E24-4EDE-A3BF-5FD2628EC868.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 28
103 Colmore Row

Seen from Hamstead Road, Handsworth.

Bullring & Grand Central Birmingham / New Street Station.

Cambridge Street

Birmingham Cathedral St Philip's

August 2019

Over Paradise Birmingham (core wasn't finished at that point).

Hill Street

Victoria Square

103 Colmore Row is going to tower over everything else. From the Secret Garden at the Library of Birmingham.

Passing on Colmore Row.

looking at ells photos especially those on the tram thread i have one question...where are all the people? a lot the shops on the routes of the trams have closed down...i guess this is the idea...drive people away from the streets that were once packed with shoppers and herd them into the bull ring shopping centre and the grand central shops...i have to say i now find the city centre a depressing place to go its dull..drab and claustrophobic in many areas and and an endless building site so i dont go unless i really have to i am not against change..we have to have it and its been going on since time began but does it have to be so radical and brutal and at the loss of so many wonderful buildings..would much rather visit walsall market and bilston market...so sad that i no longer enjoy and feel lost in the city where i was born

lyn

Last edited:
looking at ells photos especially those on the tram thread i have one question...where are all the people? a lot the shops on the routes of the trams have closed down...i guess this is the idea...drive people away from the streets that were once packed with shoppers and herd them into the bull ring shopping centre and the grand central shops...i have to say i now find the city centre a depressing place to go its dull..drab and claustrophobic in many areas so i dont go unless i really have to..would much rather visit walsall market and bilston...so sad that i no longer enjoy the city i was born in

lyn
lyn as i posted before, when i went to brum last week. what has happend to the place,us brummies were known for being friendly.. i was glad to get home. my animals are more friendly.than most of the jokers living there now... yer walsall market.1571378616432.pnggreat place to have a mooch

Lyn,

I couldn't agree more - through traffic is the king, there is rarely parking where you need it - and people just get in the way. Each place I have lived for any length of time has got smaller than the previous one - Birmingham, Bournemouth, Poole, Ringwood, Limnes - and I now I feel that I have reached my optimum, and where most people know each other and look out for each other. That is what Birmingham has destroyed - communities, and that leads to a horrendous rise in crime figures and anti-social activity. The samed happened to Manchester, but several years earlier - large office blocks and centralisation of services. GP practices with 8 or 9 doctors, where you are lucky if you see your own doctor, but with thousands of patients, does he even remember you? You may as well be a worker in a nest of thousands of ants.

Maurice :cool:

Don't like taking people, they get in the way!

But here's one from Centenary Way on the way to see Ice Skate Birmingham.

yes i get that ell....i try to take photos without people in shot but when i do have to go into town the streets still seem deserted and that is in the afternoon....

lyn

Don't like taking people, they get in the way!

But here's one from Centenary Way on the way to see Ice Skate Birmingham.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the giant disc behind the Hall of Memory and also the bridge like structure behind that? Your picture shows how orderly we are, coming towards you on the right hand side (your left) and going from you on the left hand side, in other words keeping right. The old photographers loved to animate their photos with people, particularly children, look at some of the fine Edwardian photos in the various forum posts. But, pause and look carefully at the picture and in no way does it represent 2019. There is something missing and not the fact that it is mainly men of a certain age, which gives the clue to what is not there. Keep going with the photos Ell, you are following the tradition of the early photographers, if it looks interesting photograph it. If no correct answers I'll leave it with you over the weekend and give the answer, if one has not been suggested

Bob
Bob

Back