• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hodge Hill secondary school

Hi, do you mean HH Girl's Grammar or HH Sec Mod? I went to the latter from 1959-65. Lived on Firs Estate until '63 when my family bought a house 5 away, but rather than attend a school closer to our new home I opted to stay at HH as all my friends were there & it was only 9 months till the GCE's.

Hardly ever go over there nowadays but the last time I drove down Bromford Road I thought both schools looked almost as I remembered them, just much older, although the Sec Mod was painted in dazzling colours.

Hi, do you mean HH Girl's Grammar or HH Sec Mod? I went to the latter from 1959-65. Lived on Firs Estate until '63 when my family bought a house 5 away, but rather than attend a school closer to our new home I opted to stay at HH as all my friends were there & it was only 9 months till the GCE's.

Hardly ever go over there nowadays but the last time I drove down Bromford Road I thought both schools looked almost as I remembered them, just much older, although the Sec Mod was painted in dazzling colours.
Sec mod.I wasn’t very academic in those days, loved sport and hands on cookery and needlework ,I left Brum in 69 but still have happy mems of my school day,s it was a long walk from close to the Raven pub but had friends to walk with, I think being a mixed school was a help even though the lads would always want to eat our cooking skills on the way home, I loved school dinners, except the chocolate concrete and pink custard ,never been back but have googled Hodge Hill and yes still looks the same except for the paintwork ,Happy days eh

Being good wiht needle and thread and ofcause a sewing machine, I remember helping the needlework teacher to make 28 pair of bell bottom trousers for H.M.S Pinafore that was being staged at Hodge Hill, I was asked a few times by some of the cast, please take the trousers in Lol

Sec mod.I wasn’t very academic in those days, loved sport and hands on cookery and needlework ,I left Brum in 69 but still have happy mems of my school day,s it was a long walk from close to the Raven pub but had friends to walk with, I think being a mixed school was a help even though the lads would always want to eat our cooking skills on the way home, I loved school dinners, except the chocolate concrete and pink custard ,never been back but have googled Hodge Hill and yes still looks the same except for the paintwork ,Happy days eh
I'd forgotten the pink custard! But I do remember the sago & tapioca--both looked like frog spawn but we ate them anyway. Not heard anyone mention the Raven since the 60's, but can't recall where it was. Was it on Shard End?

I'd forgotten the pink custard! But I do remember the sago & tapioca--both looked like frog spawn but we ate them anyway. Not heard anyone mention the Raven since the 60's, but can't recall where it was. Was it on Shard End?
More Stetchford, on Hodge Hill Road, on the 55 bus route
Yes frogspawn I remember it well as you say we ate it all, my mum was horrified when I said my best school meal was meat pie( Center piece) with baked beans and mash, with Gravy, Gravy on Baked beans she said!!! , but I loved it

Ah yes I remember now where the Raven was, still is presumably. I'd forgotten it was the 55 route; we always used the 56 as we lived down Newport Road.
Talking about meat pies, I don't eat them very often now but there's a butcher in our village who makes 6 different varieties of pie, big ones, which sell at £6 each & I'm told he sells about 500 a week; people come from miles away to buy them. Its only a small private butcher as well. They go very well with baked beans & gravy!

Ah yes I remember now where the Raven was, still is presumably. I'd forgotten it was the 55 route; we always used the 56 as we lived down Newport Road.
Talking about meat pies, I don't eat them very often now but there's a butcher in our village who makes 6 different varieties of pie, big ones, which sell at £6 each & I'm told he sells about 500 a week; people come from miles away to buy them. Its only a small private butcher as well. They go very well with baked beans & gravy!
Just spent a while googling Newport Road, funny how over the years you remember names well but carnt think where they are,also the 28 bus route if I remember rightly,my aunt lived close to the Bagot ( think that was what it was called ,) oops pubs again lol as to pies, think my tastebuds have changed a bit now or maybe I’m just aware of the calories these days , loved them in the good old 60’ and 70’s

I was at Hodge hill from 1959 -1963 anybody else there then
Hi Jeannie
I went to HH Secondary Modern, left about 62 to start at Lewis's in Brum on underwear, even passed exam for Matthew Bolton School of Retail, but only at work 2 months when my Dad got transferred to Hereford with Henry Wiggins, and it was a quite town, no big department stores, and I ended up working in Stead & Simpsons shoe shop for 18m then went to Wiggins myself as office assistant as money was double what I was getting at Steads.
Do you remember Mr Lewis Art teacher.
Can't say I enjoyed my school days because I was a shy nervous person who blushed at everything.
Steveo

Hi Jeannie
I went to HH Secondary Modern, left about 62 to start at Lewis's in Brum on underwear, even passed exam for Matthew Bolton School of Retail, but only at work 2 months when my Dad got transferred to Hereford with Henry Wiggins, and it was a quite town, no big department stores, and I ended up working in Stead & Simpsons shoe shop for 18m then went to Wiggins myself as office assistant as money was double what I was getting at Steads.
Do you remember Mr Lewis Art teacher.
Can't say I enjoyed my school days because I was a shy nervous person who blushed at everything.
Steveo
Hi Steveo
yes I remember Mr Lewis the art teacher, I remember that when he walked his head came first, he wore some strange clothes or so I thought but then I guess I didn’t know much about art, I remember coming first in the class once with my painting of an African mask, I mixed lots of yakky colours that he thought were amazing mmmm like I say what did I know about art.
I remember miss Ramsey too she taught french and maybe English as well, a proper miss but probably not as old as we thought her to be then,I didn’t like school much either and was glad to leave and get off out to work ,but still some Happy memories of school days

Are there any phots of The production of HMS Pinafore ,must have been 1964 ish, I remember helping with the sewing of 20 plus pairs of bell bottom trousers

Can’t find anything at the moment Jeannie but shall keep it on my list of searches. Viv.

Back