• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marriage lookup please - Thomas Hidson

aimac21

master brummie
If it's possible would be very grateful for a marriage lookup for Thomas Hidson and Elizabeth (Clift ?) in St. Martin's. Date either 14th or 18th May 1822. Curious to know if Elizabeth was a widow so any details would be most welcome.

here are the details on the cert.

thomas hidson of this parish. bachelor and elizabeth clift of this parish. spinster were married by banns

14th may 1822

they both signed their names and the witnesses were
thomas goer? gour? and charlotte shore and mary shore

Thanks Shera for this. What puzzles me is that I came upon the following marriage announcement in the Warwick & Warwickshire General Advertiser (January 1822 May 1823) :

14i Thomas Hidson, B'ham to Elizabeth do late John Pickering of Cambden Hill

I know for a fact that one of the children of Thomas and Elizabeth's marriage has Pickering as a middle name so I wondered if there was any connection.

Anyway your information seems to confirm that she was Elizabeth Clift so perhaps John Pickering was her step father ? Thanks anyway.:confused2:

thought you might like these baptisms at st. martins

thomas b. 13 aug 1823 bap. 6 sep 1823 son of thomas and elizabeth hidson of caroline st. jeweller

george pickering b. 18 feb 1825 bap. 29 oct 1825 son of thomas and elizabeth hidson of caroline st. jeweller

john b. 1 apr 1826 bap. 22 apr 1826 son of thomas and elizabeth hidson of caroline st. jeweller

sarah elizabeth b.21 may 1827 bap. 18 jun 1827 daughter of thomas and elizabeth hidson of regent place. gentleman

william durant b. 23 nov 1828 bap. 22 dec 1828 son of thomas and elizabeth hidson of regent place. gentleman

charlotte matilda b. 20 mar 1830 bap. 26 apr 1830 daughter of thomas and elizabeth hidson of gt brook street. gentleman

frederick b. 28 sep 1831 bap. 19 oct 1831 son of thomas and elizabeth hidson of caroline st. gentleman

samuel le resche b. 28 jan 1834 bap. 21 feb 1834 son of thomas and elizabeth hidson of moseley wake green. gentleman

mary haywood b. 8 sep 1835 bap. 13 jan 1836 daughter of thomas and elizabeth hidson of regent place. jeweller

to Elizabeth do Late John Pickering of Cambden Hill
do: in this case usually means Daughter of... However if her mother had remarried a Mr Clift after the death of her father John Pickering then Elizabeth may have been known as Clift...
I have a G/Granddad who was born just after his real father died and when his mother remarried a couple of years later he was shown on all the census' by her new husbands name. My G/Granddad only changed back to his real name when he married my Grandmother.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Pomgolian - yes that's a perfectly plausible explanation and one I'd thought about too ! Thanks. I have Pickerings in my family tree and one married a Hidson so feel that the two families might have been connected.

Hi Pomgolian - yes that's a perfectly plausible explanation and one I'd thought about too ! Thanks. I have Pickerings in my family tree and one married a Hidson so feel that the two families might have been connected.
Hi - we are related - George Pickering Hidson is my 4th Great Uncle. His father is my 4th great grandfather. If you're interested in sharing family tree knowledge & info, get in touch. I realise this post is old, so here's hoping you'll see this!
Robin

Hi - we are related - George Pickering Hidson is my 4th Great Uncle. His father is my 4th great grandfather. If you're interested in sharing family tree knowledge & info, get in touch. I realise this post is old, so here's hoping you'll see this!
Robin
Hi Robinhidson, This is a long shot; I've been trying for years to trace a Mary Hidson who was baptised in 1765 in Deeping St James, near Peterborough, and married a Gale which is one of my direct lines. I've never previously come across a mention of any Hidson on any forum so was pleasantly surprised to see your post. Do you know of any connection with you & your B'ham Hidson's? Hope you don't mind me enquiring given the rather flimsy connection.
John

Hi John, I haven't really got back that far unfortunately, although I do have a lot of stuff passed over to us by another relative who did an awful lot of research and she found a Mary Hidson who was christened on 25th October 1711 in London, Hand Alley (wherever that is). I've got nothing on any Mary Hidsons in 1765 near Peterborough (not to say there isn't of course).

Last edited:
Hi John, I haven't really got back that far unfortunately, although I do have a lot of stuff passed over to us by another relative who did an awful lot of research and she found a Mary Hidson who was christened on 25th October 1711 in London, Hand Alley (wherever that is). I've got nothing on any Mary Hidsons in 1765 near Peterborough (not to say there isn't of course).
Thanks for this information Robin. It's a very uncommon surname so should be easier to trace than most, although that's not my experience unfortunately. What you say makes me think that 'my' Hidson's had strayed from where most Hidson's lived & that's why there are so few in the Peterborough area. Interested to hear one of your relations has done lots of family history research. I wonder if she was able to take advantage of the huge amount of data now available online to the public, or did she do her research in dusty archives.
Mary Hidson must have been a much loved lady as all her sons had Hidson as a second christian name and also nearly all her male grandchildren too.

I think that my two relatives who did the research for the trees may have passed away - Helena Scarlett & Sandra Van Eeden, both born Hidson. They pulled it all together from visits to dusty archives. I've asked my dad which parts of the country they lived in; we didn't know there was a branch of the family in Peterborough, but it's lovely to find out that there is. My dad's side have mostly lived in Warwickshire/Birmingham and I am descended from Thomas Hidson 1800-1865 who married Elizabeth Clift. There is a large contingent of Hidsons in Canada descended from Thomas Edward Hidson (1880-1847). We also know of Hidsons in Australia

Hi John, I'm assuming you've already seen this on FamilySearch? Is this your Mary Hidson? View attachment 136173
Hi Robin,
No, I hadn't seen that; thank you for sending it, very interesting. It could very well be the Mary in my tree. The Mary I found years ago (from IGI?) was christened in Deeping St. James on 1st Dec 1765 although I haven't yet found it confirmed in the Parish Registers. Looking at the map Witham & Deeping are only 8 miles apart, both in Lincs. I will have to delve into the PR's again to see if they are two different people or the same person who was born in one village & christened in another, perhaps where the mother came from.
The other village around Peterboro' where I found a Hidson was Coates, east of Peterboro', which is where my Gale family lived for decades in the 19C. I think it was a John Hidson who owned a local toll & died in his 90's; I noticed his grave years ago when I was searching for Gale ancestors.

It is possible that the Mary Hidson who was baptised in Deeping St James died in 1768. There is a burial record for a Mary Hidson on 26 Jul 1768 in Deeping St James. She is listed as the daughter of the widow Mary, who's husband, Thomas, died in 1766.

It is possible that the Mary Hidson who was baptised in Deeping St James died in 1768. There is a burial record for a Mary Hidson on 26 Jul 1768 in Deeping St James. She is listed as the daughter of the widow Mary, who's husband, Thomas, died in 1766.
Thank you MWS for that information, which I didn't know. That seems to throw a different light on the matter. The Mary Hidson Robin told me about, from Witham on the Hill, now looks like the only person of that name & in that area at that time. Being a rare surname the likelihood is the Mary from Witham is indeed the one who married 'my' Thomas Gale around 1783. I'll need to check where they got married.

Back