• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

This is a long shot...……...Many Saturday evening I would go to the Trochadero (sure I misspelled it) does anyone know if it is still there?

I would get off the bus from Handsworth and walk through the GW (I think) Arcade, it was in an alley and the bar counter was oval shaped with a copper top.

This is a long shot...……...Many Saturday evening I would go to the Trochadero (sure I misspelled it) does anyone know if it is still there?

I would get off the bus from Handsworth and walk through the GW (I think) Arcade, it was in an alley and the bar counter was oval shaped with a copper top.
Trocadero is in Temple Street, just googled it, and there is a website, cheers

Now a typical city centre pub with food. Had a meal in there about 8 months ago. Very different to the old place, but still there, and still has the tiles outside

I think it started long before that Bob when the drink drive laws came in, of course the main reason for the failure of any business is lack of customer support, if you don't use it you lose it.

My OZ visitor on his first trip here said here were too many pubs, one on every corner, there were three in our village, that's down to one now and that's struggling.

We do have two licensed clubs though, rugby and cricket.

nice photo phil ...could be worse..there could be a nasty tower block on the left so its nice to see a bit of greenery

lyn

Interesting photograph, Phil, but the modern view just confirms that there is little left of the Birmingham I knew in the first 24 years of my life. Aside from Council-owned properties and major churches, you really have to get away from the inner city to find much that has survived, and most of that is late-Victorian or Edwardian buildings.

Maurice:(

Maurice & Lyn

What is actually to the left is Park Circus and the A38M a road that cut a swathe right through the middle of Aston and was the cause of the demolition of more houses and businesses that any group of tower blocks. Just so visitors could drive right into the city centre. now they are doing their best to keep cars out of it.

Maurice & Lyn

What is actually to the left is Park Circus and the A38M a road that cut a swathe right through the middle of Aston and was the cause of the demolition of more houses and businesses that any group of tower blocks. Just so visitors could drive right into the city centre. now they are doing their best to keep cars out of it.

like most ideas phil it most likely seemed like a good idea at the time :rolleyes:

Interesting photograph, Phil, but the modern view just confirms that there is little left of the Birmingham I knew in the first 24 years of my life. Aside from Council-owned properties and major churches, you really have to get away from the inner city to find much that has survived, and most of that is late-Victorian or Edwardian buildings.

Maurice:(
WOW Phil what a change...……..I agree with Maurice, it seems that almost that only the name Birmingham is unchanged!

Phil, was there any of the history of the Steelhouse Lane area saved or captured? As I recall the jewelry and gun making history was significant.

Richard

If you type Steelhouse Lane into the searchbox, I'm sure you will be rewarded with many posts images and information.

A busy postcard scene of Alum Rock Road from long ago. To the right of the tram note the building with the six roof dormer windows. It is still there today as the modern pic shows. Other buildings to the right are also still there but much changed. The gas-holders are just visible in the distance.
AlumRockRdSaltley.jpg

The scene today.
AlumRockRdNow.jpg

A scan around looking back up the hill with Google Streetview will show features on the near buildings which can be seen in the old pic. (try a right click to view it in a separate tab)

The Alum Rock, route 8, tram car service commenced in 1907. The original terminus was at Alum Rock Road/Highfield Road and extended to the final terminus at the Pelham in 1925. The old photo i ost #805 shows a single track but at a later date this was doubled. The flip over destination board, fitted to the upper balcony, makes this photo pre 1915 when a route number box replaced the boards.
To the left of the photo it looks rather like the lady is teaching her son to ride a bicycle.

How about Alexander road and varna road houses they was huge Victorian houses
How far back in years does these roads back to the red light days possible 1800 s maybe even further
They had huge bay windows was well and very long gardens my ancestors NAD a huge house around the backs there in the 1800 s
They used to make diarys for a business when I say my ancensters I really mean my mothers relatives
They was the poorer side of the family of jelfs mom said they ended up in the work house
It was a big house which was along from Mary street its the old pub on pershore red end which as been empty for years and is in blue across from belgrave police station my first job after leaving school wasaslaters mate and wedone roof repairs on these RDS Alexander and varna and princess rd
Best wishes astonian,,,,,','
I lived in Alexander Rd in 1968 till 1984 my mom still lives there to this day

I was told that one of those houses belonged to my ancestors, apparently they had it built.

Back