• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

La Reserve is, I believe, now known as The Miller And Carter. I haven't been there for years and years, but back in 1964 my parents had their 25th anniversary dinner there, and very good it was too. I think it's changed hands (and names) many times during the intervening years, never a good sign IMHO.

G

Indian Restaurants

I only remember John's Restaurant on Steelhouse Lane in about l960.
My brother Peter loved Indian food and told me to go there. I went only once
by myself on a lunch hour. I ordered Bombay Duck because I had seen this
in a film. It was very hot and I drank loads of water. The staff were all gathered at the kitchen window watching me "suffer".
Got to like Indian food later on though and we are getting a few more Indian restaurants here in Vancouver.
Bombay Duck was actually a dried fish and I always had a portion with my curry but it has been banned on health and safety grounds for some years.

The one over the road from the Law Courts was the first one I ever visited. I wasn't aware it was over the top of a Chemists shop? and I can't remember the name either. It was perhaps around 1964? maybe someone with a Kelly's from that time might be able to help. I do remember I had Chinese style beef curry with rice, and had trouble eating it all. My only previous taste of curry was from a packet made Vesta Beef Curry & Rice which contained little peices of fruit, apple and I think sultanas. The real thing was so much different. :shock:
I went with my brothers Ronnie & Tony who paid the bill. My mom & dad would not eat what they though of as foriegn muck :lol: . I still eat Chinese curry as opposed to Indian/Asian curries :lol:
That was called The Happy Gathering. I used it regularly in the 60's.

Lumphammer

The Chinese Restaurant over the Chemist that was previously the Court Dining Rooms was called the Dragons Gate in the 60's and into the 70's, it may have changed names then, but I don't remember it being called anything else in the 60's.

City Corporation St 1964 .jpg

Around 1970 the Happy Gathering was in Station St, as that was where I was shown by the owner how to use chopsticks, on the one occasion when I tried eating with them.

Where in Station Street was that Mike, not that I would have ever been in there as I'm not a fan of Chinese food and the only Chinese restaurant I have ever been in was in Barnstable and I had a streak.

Where in Station Street was that Mike, not that I would have ever been in there as I'm not a fan of Chinese food and the only Chinese restaurant I have ever been in was in Barnstable and I had a streak.

ahh so it was you splattered all over the sunday papers then phil:D janice...avert yer eyes:D:D

Well it might have been a streak when I saw the bill, but there again the bill would have been on the duck.

Phil
Must be old age getting to my brain. It was in Pershore St, no 54. I could have sworn it was Station St

In the 1974, I was studying in Birmingham and was a working waiter at Kam Ling over the weekend. At that time the restaurant was owned by two Indian brothers and the Chef was a Chinese. The restaurant no longer exist and I wonder anyone can still remembered patronizing the place as I am writing about that time in Birmingham

As a student, missing out on Chinese food then, it was Happy Gathering or the Slow Boat. I bought my lovely Indonesian Chinese girl there for dinner after a movie. She loved the roast meat and noodles with a lot of chilli sauce

Restaurants

My memories come up with one or two places. A couple of Chinese restaurants at least. There was one at the back end of New Street Station in l957. I worked in the Station Offices at Stephenson Place next to the old Queen's Hotel. They issued the staff with Luncheon Vouchers and the girls in the office used to save them up. I think they were worth l shilling a day per working week. We would take them to this restaurant on Friday lunchtimes (anyone remember the name?) and they would take them all at once, so we had a great meal shared out with say three or four of us. My first Chinese food and I have loved it every since. I remember Scampi tails and beansprouts particularly. We had lychee nuts and vanilla ice cream for afters. Yummy. You could also buy standard English food at this resturant as well on their lunch specials. The custard was always strange on the pies I remember....
One other place was the Kam Ling in Livery Street. The food there in the late l950's and early l960's was excellent. Sometimes on a Friday I would go twice in one day. The Kam Ling also took Luncheon vouchers. Then in the evenings I would go with my friends to the "Lockers" on Hurst Street and we would meet at Kam Ling first. I also remember the Slow Boat which had a huge menu. There was also another place I used to go to in Cannon Street called The Cloverleaf. It was a family run business and survived until the late l980's I believe. I always went there when I visited Brum from Canada on home visits.

My brother Peter was a lover of Indian food even all those years ago and went to one of the first Indian restaurants in Steelhouse Lane called John's.
This would be around l960. It was on the same side as the Gaumont but down a few buildings. I ventured in there alone one Saturday out of plain curiosity. I hadn't a clue what to order but I remembered Bombay Duck from a film I had seen. It was a very hot curried Chicken Leg with rice when it came. I remember seeing many faces looking out of the kitchen door watching me tackle this. I thought it was awful and barely got through it, it was sooo hot. I fled out into Steelhouse Lane and
didn't have another curry for a very long time. On the Transportation site with "The Last Trams" postcards you can spot John's Restaurant on the right hand side of Steelhouse Lane on one of them. I also have ia photo of Kam Ling in one of my Alton Douglas Brum Books. Lovely memories.

:oops: :roll:
I was serving tables at Kam Ling over the weekend in 1973-75. Many pleasant memories of the Chef Choy

In the 1974, I was studying in Birmingham and was a working waiter at Kam Ling over the weekend. At that time the restaurant was owned by two Indian brothers and the Chef was a Chinese. The restaurant no longer exist and I wonder anyone can still remembered patronizing the place as I am writing about that time in Birmingham
All I remember is the it was in Livery Street

In the 50's The Barn, out of town and I'm blowed if I can remember where now, was the place to go if you starved for the rest of the month.
My mom used to take me to the Barn when I was about 9. I always had egg and chips followed by butterscotch I've cream. Happy Days.

My friend and I ate at the Kam Ling restaurant after shopping for clothes etc., on a Saturday morning during the 1950's and I think Kam Ling restaurant was the first Chinese restaurant in Birmingham (I daresay someone will correct me if I am wrong!).
Anthea

Hi

I remember visiting the Kam Ling in around 1961-1963 with some workmates
when I worked in Newhall Street, but like Roger Baker I just recollect where it was.

Kind regards
Dave

Back