• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frozen Jubbly's. when you opened them the one half was lovely as it contained all the orange juice, the other half was just ice. The shop around the corner from me also froze Vimto in the same shaped carton as Jubbly's. They were nice too on a hot day.
Has anybody mentioned Terry's Caramac. Cant remember exactly what the flavour was except that it was a light tan colour, and had the look and texture of chocolate.
Caramac had a soft Carmel centre if I recall right

Caramac was originally made by Macintosh of Norwich. They were taken over by Rowntrees, who subsequently were taken over by Nestle. It was a caramel flavoured bar

Moving slightly away from sweets, does anyone remember the Walls Frutie Bar - I'm talking late 40s early 50's now? They were 2 1/2 old pence from the ice cream van that used to park a few yards from the entrance to Moseley Grammar. I think it was just mixed fruit pulp frozen and wrapped in a sort of foil, but nice.

Maurice :cool:

How about that cheap candy we would hang on a Christmas tree and have to wait for 12 days after Christmas to get a pick off the tree, mean while you have already picked a couple of the back of the tree hoping no one would notice. the gold coins, bell shape, Santa, etc.
Talking about Christmas, apart from the obvious selection boxes etc do you remember those crystallized orange and lemon fruits in the round cardboard box. They were laid out like a sunflower with a round bit in the middle. We always had one of those on the table next to the oval box of dates

Talking about Christmas, apart from the obvious selection boxes etc do you remember those crystallized orange and lemon fruits in the round cardboard box. They were laid out like a sunflower with a round bit in the middle. We always had one of those on the table next to the oval box of dates

Selection Boxes and orange and lemon rounds are a happy memory of my childhood christmas, oh and the oval boxes of dates with the little plastic fork haha,
thank you for reminding me ade.
Wendy

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
Selection Boxes and orange and lemon rounds are a happy memory of my childhood christmas, oh and the oval boxes of dates with the little plastic fork haha,
thank you for reminding me ade.
Wendy
haha that's right Wendy, it was a two pronged fork with with little bobbles running up the handle and on the lid of the dates it had in big letters "EAT ME" :)
And also don't forget the orange matchmakers... Yum

haha that's right Wendy, it was a two pronged fork with with little bobbles running up the handle and on the lid of the dates it had in big letters "EAT ME" :)
And also don't forget the orange matchmakers... Yum
Matchmakers yes by the handful, now how about after 8 mints with the stupid sleeve for each mint, had to come back and edit this Terry's Chocolate Orange "tap it and unwrap it"

• Appreciate
After eight mints straight from the fridge mmmmmmmmm lovely
Mars bars, Turkish Delight, Walnut whips, Rose's, Dolly Mixtures, Jelly Babies the list just go's on, the problem for me I have to go to the English store to buy all this and here in America it costs a fortune so when ever I go in there not only do I see all my childhood but they have the stuff I really want Bisto, Birds Custard, Walkers, and more I have to show great restraint. Thankfully we do not have a biscuit thread.

• Appreciate
Mars bars, Turkish Delight, Walnut whips, Rose's, Dolly Mixtures, Jelly Babies the list just go's on, the problem for me I have to go to the English store to buy all this and here in America it costs a fortune so when ever I go in there not only do I see all my childhood but they have the stuff I really want Bisto, Birds Custard, Walkers, and more I have to show great restraint. Thankfully we do not have a biscuit thread.
Now you've started something Bob :) :)

After eating all these sweets we might need some of these :D :)View attachment 135749
Wow I have not thought about those in 50 years or more ironic buy these then the need to get false teeth, having said that I did buy them and liked them, as I think about it the English like or liked sweets/candy we have a thread here with us all trying to remember our childhood treats taking us back to a simple time when walking down the street sucking on a Tip Top or dabbing your finger into sherbet knowing summeris going to last forever.

how about raspberry ruffle bars made by jamesons....can still get them from selected shops and i do :)

They don't even put the nut on a walnut whip anymore absolute sacrilege

My mother used to let me make peppermint creams from icing sugar, egg white and peppermint essence. Also vanilla fudge and bonfire night toffee. I think it was because sugar was no longer on ration.
rosie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back