• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Thanks Steve yes I remember speaking before now. Only yesterday did I have a chat to Albert and he is not too bad now. He suffered a stroke five months ago and is recovering from another cancer!!. Fourth time. Pete said sorry to hear about Joe and glad John is recovering from his triple bypass. Have some photos somewhere from the Aldridge locker room with a few of the workers.
Hi, can you tell Pete and Albert that I meet with Danny Baker quite often as he lives not far from me also Dave Pearce who is now in his lower 80s, a bloke Pete will know for sure was standing in front of me with his daughter at the coop ATM in Lichfield the other day, (Larry) don't know his last name but he's the one who would keep giving you sweets, very quiet man lived in Erdington. He told me his wife had passed away and he and his daughter were moving to the East Coast I think Norfolk. It's been twenty one years since I left Ansells come June this year and the time has passed so fast. I was 22 when I started at Ansells and now I'm 72, can't believe it. Tell Pete I found a large collection of the Ansels Argosy and on one of the pages is a photo of him posing with the fishing club. Take care steve.

Hi, can you tell Pete and Albert that I meet with Danny Baker quite often as he lives not far from me also Dave Pearce who is now in his lower 80s, a bloke Pete will know for sure was standing in front of me with his daughter at the coop ATM in Lichfield the other day, (Larry) don't know his last name but he's the one who would keep giving you sweets, very quiet man lived in Erdington. He told me his wife had passed away and he and his daughter were moving to the East Coast I think Norfolk. It's been twenty one years since I left Ansells come June this year and the time has passed so fast. I was 22 when I started at Ansells and now I'm 72, can't believe it. Tell Pete I found a large collection of the Ansels Argosy and on one of the pages is a photo of him posing with the fishing club. Take care steve.
Steve I think it was Larry Kettle who was on our caravan site too. He was always giving out sweets there too. Pete still has the photo of the fishing club with a tiny Jack Russell dog in it and Albert too. Will let him know about Dave Pearce when he comes back from his brothers. We still bump into Jimmy Kindon and his wife Jackie.

Picture of a Yeast Press at Ansells year unknown, can we put names to faces?

My dad (Sid Lovell) who is not on this picture worked at Ansells for 25 years, I (David Lovell) did 2 years in the temp pool 1972/4 then got transferred to Grants of St James on Lichfield Road

Attachments

• Scan10258.JPG
    Scan10258.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 39
In 1975 a Pen Pal of my brothers aVilla fan came over from BERGAN came over to see the Villa play and meet some of the team.Knowing Charlie Tabbener of the Supporters Cluband Ex Ansells .He arranged a visit for us We were showed all around the brewery and finished up in the directors room.On the wall was a tap and on the table were glasses.We were told to enjoy ourselves ,have a drink and leave the glasses on the table.Being a driver I had about 2 halves but had to carry my brother p Pen Pal (Canute )to the car.Said he had never tasted beer like it

In 1975 a Pen Pal of my brothers aVilla fan came over from BERGAN came over to see the Villa play and meet some of the team.Knowing Charlie Tabbener of the Supporters Cluband Ex Ansells .He arranged a visit for us We were showed all around the brewery and finished up in the directors room.On the wall was a tap and on the table were glasses.We were told to enjoy ourselves ,have a drink and leave the glasses on the table.Being a driver I had about 2 halves but had to carry my brother p Pen Pal (Canute )to the car.Said he had never tasted beer like it

During the early 70’s, I’d heard about the tap on the wall, but never knew if it was true, or just a myth. Ta Edifi!

Does any one recall a guy known as "Tiny" and of course he was big and tall worked at Ansells in the 70's for sure, he rode a motorcycle and wore a long tan coat his job was BEER TASTER !!.

Then would come out at night and sink a few, this was a big man so a few beers was just that, he maintained he really did not drink that much at work,

Have to say it if I worked in a brewery I would have been a beer taster, and if I worked at Cadbury's I would have been a taster and Wimbush and so on
You would very quickly tire of that. During my early and mid teems I worked during the summer school holidays on farms, over much of the Midlands - a nice healthy way to earn money. Most university students also did it, but in those days I got away with my age - I really wan't old enough, but the lady in Broad Street said I looked older. Plums, strawberries and other fruits galore to be picked but after the first flush that was usually enough. :grinning:
Things have changed as most people underestimate my age these days.

Spot on, Alan. Anyone who has done "pick your own" strawberries or whatever, spends the first ten minutes eating as many as possible, and then picks the ones you are going to pay for. By the time you get home, you don't want to eat another strawberry for a couple of days. And, of course, what you thieve is built into the price you pay, so no one loses out! :cool:

Have to say it if I worked in a brewery I would have been a beer taster, and if I worked at Cadbury's I would have been a taster and Wimbush and so on
Pete and the brewers had the keys to this tasting/sampling room. If I worked at cadburys I would be ill as I can't stand the smell let alone the taste. x

Does any one recall a guy known as "Tiny" and of course he was big and tall worked at Ansells in the 70's for sure, he rode a motorcycle and wore a long tan coat his job was BEER TASTER !!.

Then would come out at night and sink a few, this was a big man so a few beers was just that, he maintained he really did not drink that much at work,
Hi, you don't mean Yorkie do you.

Pete and the brewers had the keys to this tasting/sampling room. If I worked at cadburys I would be ill as I can't stand the smell let alone the taste. x
I understand what you say. When I was at school and when the wind was in the right direction we could smell the chocolate from Cadburys. After a few hours it would turn my stomach, however I do like the taste of chocolate. (A bit off topic I know, sorry!)

Back