• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Clements School Nechells

to Tony Underwood : yes, Tony. I knew Margaret Lyons. She came to St Clement's when I started my last year as a juniorin the September. She lived four doors away from the school on the Railway Terrace side. Mr Newman started at the school at the same time as Margaret. She was a big friend of mine.

to Tony Underwood : yes, Tony. I knew Margaret Lyons. She came to St Clement's when I started my last year as a junior in the September. She lived four doors away from the school on the Railway Terrace side. Mr Newman started at the school at the same time as Margaret. She was a big friend of mine.
Tony Underwood : inremember your name, too! I was born in 1945. What year were you born?

to Tony Underwood : yes, Tony. I knew Margaret Lyons. She came to St Clement's when I started my last year as a juniorin the September. She lived four doors away from the school on the Railway Terrace side. Mr Newman started at the school at the same time as Margaret. She was a big friend of mine.

hi ivor..although tony underwood is still a member he has not been seen on the forum since 2012...just thought i would let you know

lyn

I cant quite work out where to write, sorry. I used to live in the sweet shop a few doors away. My mom, sister and me. We had a little dog called Sandy. I vaguely remember a teacher called Miss Davies (maybe). I used to sit on the high counter stool, shovelling sweets into triangular bags as kids came in. I remember a Lynda, and a David (Slumberland?)

good evening all
i am getting concerned i think i must have been the only one that went to st clements i was only there till about 1958 when we moved to kingshurst
but i have fond memories of the school and i would be interested in seeing any photos of the school from that time, the two teachers that stick in my mind are miss jaques a west indian teacher,and miss beecroft who tried to teach me arithmitic but to no avail, so come all you st clements scholars give some memories to an "old git" and make him happy!
phil
I remember Miss Jaques but I have always thought she was Indian. My younger sister, Linda loved Miss Jaques, but Miss Jaques was new to the school the year after I had gone into Class Two.

I went to st. Clements from 1960 to 1964 I loved that school. We used to do handstands and play tig and orange and lemons. When I moved up to class 4 we had to go up an iron staircase outside which was really dangerous when it was icy. We used to loved sliding on the ice in the playground but cook used to spoil our fun when she put salt in the ice. When I was about 10 I used to put the dining tables away and wash up which they have me two shilling a week. We had a dance class where we would usually do Cumberland square eight. I hated sports especially the hobby horse. I was in the school choir .
I would love to see the picture that was taken near Christmas time one year with Santa for the evening mail?

I found this one. This appeared in the Mail on 20/12/1969 a few years after you were there. Sadly no Santa.

Viv

Screenshot_20230227_001539_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230227_001748_Gallery.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

thanks viv what a kind thought bet those children were delighted...small observation.. i think the report should say a school in nechells not lozells

lyn

This newspaper extract is dated 25/2/1995.

Viv.

Screenshot_20230227_145620_Chrome.jpgSource: British Newspaper Archive

school History and Gallery​

St Clement's The School
Nechells National School opened in 1859 with accommodation for 475 boys and a teacher’s house was attached. A department for girls opened in 1860 and was run by the boy’s Head Master’s wife. In 1865 an infants department also opened. It was reorganised as a temporary measure c.1933 into two departments for senior mixed and junior and infant children. The school was damaged by enemy action during WW2 in 1940. The premises were repaired by 1950. It became a controlled school in 1950. The Senior Mixed Department closed in 1953 and the school became a Junior Mixed and Infants School.
When the school was opened in 1859 by the Church of England, it was to serve the people of the community. The original school was linked to St.clement’s Church which no longer exists, although you can see what is left of the building on Stuart Street. As there is no local church, St.Clement’s has strong links with Aston Parish Church, Ss Peter and Paul.

The school was originally located on High Park Street- now the site of Wing Yip, but moved to it’s current location on Butlin Street in 1970. It has undergone many renovations and extensions in it’s desire to provide the very best provision it can and in its service of the community.

St. Clement’s Church of England Church
This church was consecrated 1859, a parish assigned out of St. Matthew’s, Duddeston in 1860. Part of the parish was taken to form the parish of St. Catherine, Nechells, 1879. A number of missions have been established from St. Clement’s; Scholefield Street schoolroom was licensed for public worship 1866- 1907; High Park Street schools, 1908-09 and St. Clement’s South mission room, Long Arcre,1908 –26;

Back