• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cardinal Newman

Curiously I chose one of his hymns this morning as entrance hymn. He wrote a few, most are - as are many of the old ones - more a teaching of the faith than a repetition and have a nice melody.

There seems to be now proper thread concerning him, and, as he was a major figure in victorian Birmingham, it is appropriate that his sainthood should begin a thread on him :

I went to Cardinal Newman Secondary school Poplar Avenue off Sandon Rd 1960-64 . Headmaster Arthur Hunt , in 1970 my wife to be received instruction from Fr Geoffrey Walmsley at the Oratory on Hagley Rd . He was kind enough to let us into view the Cardinals room it is still the same as when Cardinal John Henry Newman left it

I went to Cardinal Newman Secondary school Poplar Avenue off Sandon Rd 1960-64 . Headmaster Arthur Hunt , in 1970 my wife to be received instruction from Fr Geoffrey Walmsley at the Oratory on Hagley Rd . He was kind enough to let us into view the Cardinals room it is still the same as when Cardinal John Henry Newman left it
In 1939 I went to the Oratory primary school in Hyde Road Ladywood and religious teaching emanated from the Oratory Church in Hagley Road. The pupils were very mixed; some who lived in the very deprived back-to-backs would come to school without socks; I lived a bus ride ride away in Poplar Avenue Edgbaston but no one seemed conscious of the social differences.
My father, his brothers, cousins etc were all baptised, married buried in the Oratory some in the Cardinals lifetime. He had a very profound effect.
The secondary school was originally in Hyde Road and a new one built in Poplar Avenue sometime after 1960 when I left Edgbaston on marriage, but I still retain great respect for the words of the Newman.

Anybody have any idea what year Cardinal Newman Secondary Modern school Bearwood was demolished I left there in 1968 I very much enjoyed my schooling there Mr Hunt was the Headmaster at the time but I was quite surprised on a visit to the area a while back to see it had been replaced with a housing estate of sorts .

I was there between 60-64 and was devastated to see some montha gao the school has gone and only Cardinal Way remain to remind us , Sad day indeed , some of the best days of my life both good and bad .

You may or may not remember my sister who also attended Cardinal Newman her name was then Susan Mullen she was in 4th year when I started there in 1964.

You may or may not remember my sister who also attended Cardinal Newman her name was then Susan Mullen she was in 4th year when I started there in 1964.
Yes I probably did know her, yes I was in the 4th year as well when you started , what did you think of Arthur the headmaster . his son believe it or not was totally different he was one of the lads as so to speak he was in the 3rd year if my memory serves me right .

Back