• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rackhams Store

No the name of the brewery was inspired by the two towers which also inspired Tolkien. The brewery used to be in the Jewellery Quarter but is now at the back of the Gunmakers Arms in the Gun Quarter.

hi david just a slight correction...two towers brewery started in mott st which i think was in newtown rather than the jewellery quarter ...we had a smashing forum meet up there round about 2011 i think and at that time they also ran the brown lion pub hall st hockley...as you say they now have the gunmakers arms and it really is great to see that pub up and running again and doing well..

lyn

Last edited:
hi david just a slight correction...two towers brewery started in mott st which i think was in newtown rather than the jewellery quarter ...we had a smashing forum meet up there round about 2011 i think and at that time they also ran the brown lion pub hall st hockley...as you say they now have the gunmakers arms and it really is great to see that pub up and running again and doing well..

lyn
Lyn, Whenever I hear a reference to Mott Street, I think of the Rodgers and Hart song 'Manhattan'. with the line:
'And tell me what street compares to Mott Street in July'.

Lyn, Whenever I hear a reference to Mott Street, I think of the Rodgers and Hart song 'Manhattan'. with the line:
'And tell me what street compares to Mott Street in July'.
Looks quite different, I guess, to the one in Birmingham. ;) There are similarities I guess, Birmingham has a Chinese Quarter I understand and there were areas known for gang warfare.
The Rogers and Hart music, mentioned by David, get a brief mention in the Popular Culture info well down the page.

Looks quite different, I guess, to the one in Birmingham. ;) There are similarities I guess, Birmingham has a Chinese Quarter I understand and there were areas known for gang warfare.
The Rogers and Hart music, mentioned by David, get a brief mention in the Popular Culture info well down the page.
Also famous for a terrible piece of rhyming
'The cities clamour can never spoil
the dreams of a boy and goil'
And it appears like this on the song sheets, written of course by Lorenz Hart & Richard Rodgers and best recording...the divine Ella of course, catch her on you tube.
Off theme....sooooooo sorree!
Bob

The earliest reference to Rackham's in firectories is in 1882, where the reference is:

Rackham & Matthews, drapers, 77 & 78 Bull street &'l &
2 Victoria buildings, Temple row,
In 1880 Rackhams is not listed, but there is:
Mattlews Joseph, importer of foreign jewellery, ladies'bags,
purses, albums, brushes, combs, toys & games of every
description, 100 Bull street
and
Matthews William, clothier, 15 Bull street
Can find no reference to Colmore Row in 1880 for either Rackhams or Matthews, though, of course there could have been another firm of another name that merged with the

So back in the 70's me mum decided it was time to get rid of the radio grahm so she went to Rackhams and bought the top of the line stereo built by a company that put top of the line audio in classic furniture I could not believe it when it got delivered I ran upstairs got my Meatloaf Bat out of Hell LP and played the hell out of it at full blastl can not recall the company name but they were famous for work
Hi Bob
I know rackhams were agents for Bang and Olfson, they made some beautiful HiFi systems, it was always my first on the list if ever I won the pools

With reference to John Starley (in post 102) the late Len Cops has written a good deal in this thread.

So back in the 70's me mum decided it was time to get rid of the radio grahm so she went to Rackhams and bought the top of the line stereo built by a company that put top of the line audio in classic furniture I could not believe it when it got delivered I ran upstairs got my Meatloaf Bat out of Hell LP and played the hell out of it at full blastl can not recall the company name but they were famous for work
Bob,

It might be RGD...………..Radio Gram Developments, we had one, liked the sound but not the furniture!

I think the most likely brand would have been Dynatron. My mother had one of those. According to Wikipedia, a Dynatron would have cost an average man three weeks wages in the 1960s. The Dynatron name was bought by Ekco in 1956 and is now owned by Roberts Radio.

I think the most likely brand would have been Dynatron. My mother had one of those. According to Wikipedia, a Dynatron would have cost an average man three weeks wages in the 1960s. The Dynatron name was bought by Ekco in 1956 and is now owned by Roberts Radio.
Thank you it was Dynotron but I can not remember the stereo components, I know it was not B&O

Back