• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gothic - Great Hampton Street

thanks carol i thought that was the case...will move this thread to the pubs section for you as it will get lost under discussion...

lyn

In 1868 it was a drapers. From the 1872 post office directory onwards there seems to have been a "beer retailer (on the ground floor only presumably) there till modern times, but at the same time from at least 1872 till 1880 it was the home of Phillip Vaughton, goldsmiths, now best known for medals, freemason's dressing up gear and similar. I assume the present building was built between 1868 and 1872. Had some trouble with this, as I have a Book "Medaling with History, a History of Vaughtons. full of excellent pictures, but the part on the history of the firm is either badly written or appallingly proofread, as it states "The building no longer exists having been demolished for the building of the Lucas Factory " !!!. This phrase presumably refers to their next abode at 193 Gt Hampton Row, but had me flummoxed for a bit.

In 1868 it was a drapers. From the 1872 post office directory onwards there seems to have been a "beer retailer (on the ground floor only presumably) there till modern times, but at the same time from at least 1872 till 1880 it was the home of Phillip Vaughton, goldsmiths, now best known for medals, freemason's dressing up gear and similar. I assume the present building was built between 1868 and 1872. Had some trouble with this, as I have a Book "Medaling with History, a History of Vaughtons. full of excellent pictures, but the part on the history of the firm is either badly written or appallingly proofread, as it states "The building no longer exists having been demolished for the building of the Lucas Factory " !!!. This phrase presumably refers to their next abode at 193 Gt Hampton Row, but had me flummoxed for a bit.
[/QUOTE
Thanks Mike. They actually say that underground was the steam engine room.

Yes I saw that Carolina. I presume that the beer retailer (beerhouse or off licence) must have only occupied a portion of the ground floor, else the steam engine would be a bit isolated from the factory

It is indeed and as opposite me I had a fair bit of input into the planning stage and as far as it goes the end result should be ok. They are saving the bit worth saving and much better to have a development than a derelict factory which could have stayed that way for years. Still wondering when something will kick off on the empty plot next to St Paul's Metro stop.
And finally the preparation of the site next to St Paul’s Metro Stop has started!

Thanks for that, Brian, though I couldn't get any audio on it. At least it is not a glass and concrete box and can be recognised when we are searching through old photographs!

Maurice

maurice i had no audio at first...you have to click on the sound icon as its turned off...

many thanks for that brian...inside looks in a fair old state but i does gladden my heart to see that this lovely old building could be saved and has been saved..just goes to show what can be done to save our old buildings using a bit of imagination well done to all concerned with this huge project:)

lyn

Thanks, Lyn, but why do they have to put that awful music behind his voice, I could hardly understand a word he said once he went inside the building?

Maurice

Not sure what will happen now as it appears the builders have gone bust! Leaves me living opposite a half built apartment block too! Ho hum!

hi brian am i correct in thinking that work on the gothic and the apartment block has ceased ?...lets hope new builders can be found soon

lyn

Last edited:
hi brian am i correct in thinking that work on the gothic and the apartment block has ceased ?...lets hope new builders can be found soon

lyn
Yes that and several other builds including the Angus Thistle opposite St Chads and the Wolverhampton Civic Hall refurbishment! It’s the people who are not getting their wages or suppliers going unpaid I feel sorry for.
You just know someone similar to the previous company will set up and take over whilst escaping the debts and despair left behind! Company law stinks aka legal fraud!

thanks brian so its contractors that has gone to the wall not the owners of the properties...people always suffer when things like this happens..funnily enough i was in gt hampton st yesterday but did not go down as far as the gothic..many thanks for keeping us informed hope things get back on track soon

lyn

thanks brian so its contractors that has gone to the wall not the owners of the properties...people always suffer when things like this happens..funnily enough i was in gt hampton st yesterday but did not go down as far as the gothic..many thanks for keeping us informed hope things get back on track soon

lyn
Yep shaylor group in administration

thanks mike...lets hope the owners of the gothic can find a more reliable construction company

lyn

Good afternoon, gents!

Glad to see you taking an interest in this beautiful building (sadly, soiled with the ugly paint and left for dead for faaaar too long).

Let me begin by introducing myself - I'm the guy who created the future phase building mock-ups for Blackswan :)

Funny bit of speculation you had going on there, especially since I know exactly what's going on, but basically the plan for now, as it stands, is to try and salvage the structures from collapse (I've been inside and have pics - it's in a horrible state!), remove the crappy Gothic extension, along with some buildings on the rear, then to re-vitalize the Gothic and the adjacent buildings (No 2, 3 and 4).

In my original illustrations the client asked us to show a Kobe beef restaurant (hence the flower ornament above the doors), as there was a potential japanese investor who was interested in the place. From what I understand, this won't be the case anymore, but there will still be a bar/restaurant on the ground floor. The floors above, as it stands now,are planned to be turned into a hotel, but it will be a separate entity from the bar/restaurant.

Now here's the interesting bit. In the early days of the Gothic, the corner bit had some signage. We can make out the word "beer" but not the other words. What the client wants is to potentially create a nice neon sign saying "The Gothic" to pay tribute to that historical bit.

If anyone would like to help me out and figure out what the old signs actually said (perhaps find better photos or someone who may know?) - be my guest :)

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to share, so I won't be posting any plans or anything like that, but I will say that there are new images coming as to what the place will look like.
I guess I can share some internal pics, if anyone's interested, as I was just there on a survey...since I have to build the bloody thing in CG now :D

Attached are an old pic of the Gothic with the signage + an internal view I took from the top floor (also featured on Blackswan's website, if you can catch a crop of it there!) + a nicotine-stained coving of the pub area (ground floor).

Hope I've shed some light on this. Feel free to ask questions, of course, but as much as I'd like to answer everything - I will probably have to keep some things a secret for now :)

Attachments

• _D4_0142_LR_S.jpg
    _D4_0142_LR_S.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • _D4_0160_LR_S.jpg
    _D4_0160_LR_S.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 2354.3011 No. 1 GHS -Neon Sign.jpg
    2354.3011 No. 1 GHS -Neon Sign.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 19
P.S.: The pub token (posted by Astoness) interested me. Perhaps the design could sneak into the updated building somewhere :)
Thanks for the heads up. Try Andrew Madam on Facebook he might be able to help with old photos.
Plans are online so no probs with that.
Neon sign could cause some debate.
Biggest concern is contractors in administration!

Back