• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tubes Limited

Thanks Astonian, but I just wanted to see the pictures as the only Tubes I know was Tubes Industries at Bromford. I thought if I saw them it might trigger something. TI has long since gone. It brings back memories of train spotting at Bromford Bridge in the early 60's. I think the race course was still there at the time.
Lumpammer. Hello, Astonian messaged me yesterday regarding any old photos i have of the Forge Dept. I will gladly post them if, and when, i find them. I re-visited the old place back in 2008 and took some pics, but as yet can't find them. Please give me time because i know i have them.

Help, I am Lumpammer but I did not post the last few posts from Lumpammer. It is my Avatar , Sir Keith Park at Bewdley, but did not come from me.

Lumpammer. Hello, Astonian messaged me yesterday regarding any old photos i have of the Forge Dept. I will gladly post them if, and when, i find them. I re-visited the old place back in 2008 and took some pics, but as yet can't find them. Please give me time because i know i have them.
Hi BazzM I worked at Tubes Ltd Rocky Lane as an apprentice 1955-1960, I have not been able to find the photos you posted and I would love to see any photos that you have920BE90C-7FC5-482F-8C50-E6D8516E0C03.jpeg
I am 2nd from right, presentation to Mr Jackson

Hi BazzM I worked at Tubes Ltd Rocky Lane as an apprentice 1955-1960, I have not been able to find the photos you posted and I would love to see any photos that you haveView attachment 132849
I am 2nd from right, presentation to Mr Jackson
Hi Victor. I do have a few photo's of the old Forge from when i visited back in about 2008, the only trouble is, i am having trouble finding them. I know i have them so if you can be patient and give me a chance, i will post them as soon as i can.

Hi Victor. I do have a few photo's of the old Forge from when i visited back in about 2008, the only trouble is, i am having trouble finding them. I know i have them so if you can be patient and give me a chance, i will post them as soon as i can.
Many thanks looking forward to seeing them

My Dad, Peter Foster, worked at Tubes in Rocky Lane for many years (late 40's - 70's) in maintenance, unfortunately he is now residing in a nursing home, doing OK having celebrated his 90th birthday earlier this year; I was clearing the garden shed and came across a pile of 'Tubes News', the in-house newspaper, I have attached a copy of edition number 7 from 1972, I've gone for this one as on page-3 my Dad is featured attending the dinner for the long-service awards.

If they're of interest I would be more than happy to scan and post other copies, I have from edition No2...

This is my first post so hope I've done correctly, great site by the way.

I've uploaded these again, the first scans weren't particularly good for reading quality, these are much better; I think there were a couple of Foster's at Tubes, my dad was the Peter Foster, the fact he's getting his 25-year service watch I'm guessing he started in 1947, a different world.

7_1972 - 1.jpg7_1972 - 2.jpg7_1972 - 3.jpg7_1972 - 4.jpg

Attachments

• 7_1972 - 1.jpg
    7_1972 - 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi Jeremy I don’t know if I’ve got the right guy but was your dad known as Alf Foster and lived I think in Holland Road just off Rocky Lane.

My Dad, Peter Foster, worked at Tubes in Rocky Lane for many years (late 40's - 70's) in maintenance, unfortunately he is now residing in a nursing home, doing OK having celebrated his 90th birthday earlier this year; I was clearing the garden shed and came across a pile of 'Tubes News', the in-house newspaper, I have attached a copy of edition number 7 from 1972, I've gone for this one as on page-3 my Dad is featured attending the dinner for the long-service awards.

If they're of interest I would be more than happy to scan and post other copies, I have from edition No2...

This is my first post so hope I've done correctly, great site by the way.
Thanks for posting this Jeremy. I worked there for a total of 14 years, but never knew about the Tubes News.

Hi Jeremy I don’t know if I’ve got the right guy but was your dad known as Alf Foster and lived I think in Holland Road just off Rocky Lane.

No, different person, we lived over Sutton way, in Wylde Green; I'm sure I've read the name Alf Foster somewhere else in this thread...

Thanks for posting this Jeremy. I worked there for a total of 14 years, but never knew about the Tubes News.

The quality of the images isn't so good (I'll see if there's a better way to scan) but the articles are readable, happy to load more if they'd be on interest.

The quality of the images isn't so good (I'll see if there's a better way to scan) but the articles are readable, happy to load more if they'd be on interest.
Would be interested Jeremy. By the way i meant to say 12 years, not 14 years at Tubes.

I would like to apologise to Victor de quincey, for taking so long in looking for the pictures i promised him regarding my visit to the old Forge Dept at Tubes Ltd about 10 years ago.. I still haven't been able to locate them at present, but i wont give in. I hope you have a lot of patience ?

Jeremy, i can't thank you enough for posting this nostalgic piece of history. I have virtually read every word of the pages you posted, and was really taken aback to see a couple of names i remember. The first one was Ray Cook. I new Ray, and believe it or not, he got me the job as the club steward at the club house in Boldmere Road in 1966, when i was 17 years old. Another name i recall is George Clarke, who took the photos of the football game. George and i worked a lot together, and we spent a bit of time up at the club, mainly to do with cricket. (in fact i have another couple of photos of George whilst getting ready) But the best thing i remember about George, was attending his birthday parties at his house each year. His birthday was 14th February, so a great date for a party. Personally, i also worked sometimes at the yard in Avenue Road, when office staff where required. So you have really made my day Jeremy, and i can't thank you enough.

i agree bazz...jeremy please keep the cuttings coming...when time permits of course as its the input from our members that helps keep the forum ticking over...i keep hoping to see my aunts name mentioned as she worked at tubes certainly in the late 60s as i used to meet her from work to go to her caravan for the weekend...if memory serves me right i am sure she said she worked on the cranes..actually climbing up them..i wish now i had asked her why she did that...also sure she work a darkish blue uniform...maybe ex tubes workers could confirm about walking up the crane..did this happen?? just in case anyone remembers her her name was joan howard

lyn

Have only just spotted the article about Table Tennis. I also played for Tubes for a year or 2. Great times. Justa quick question too Jeremy. Do you have any report about the Tubes Ltd 25th year sports events ? The reason i ask is because i won the One Mile Race that year, and i still have the flag/banner i was awarded.

i agree bazz...jeremy please keep the cuttings coming...when time permits of course as its the input from our members that helps keep the forum ticking over...i keep hoping to see my aunts name mentioned as she worked at tubes certainly in the late 60s as i used to meet her from work to go to her caravan for the weekend...if memory serves me right i am sure she said she worked on the cranes..actually climbing up them..i wish now i had asked her why she did that...also sure she work a darkish blue uniform...maybe ex tubes workers could confirm about walking up the crane..did this happen?? just in case anyone remembers her her name was joan howard

lyn
Hi Lyn. Long time, no see. Regarding your Aunt. I used to work in the Forge Dept, and i know we had a coupl of crane drivers there, but i don't recall a woman driver. As you know, Alan (Astonian) was one of our crane drivers. There where crane drivers in other parts of Tubes in Rocky Lane, so i really hope someone can help you. Good luck.

ahh there you are bazz..hope you and yours are keeping well...this is just another instance and i think most of us have had them when i wished i had asked more questions when i could but life being life when we were young for most of us it did not enter our head that 50 years later we would be struggling for info about our family history:rolleyes:..never mind

lyn

ahh there you are bazz..hope you and yours are keeping well...this is just another instance and i think most of us have had them when i wished i had asked more questions when i could but life being life when we were young for most of us it did not enter our head that 50 years later we would be struggling for info about our family history:rolleyes:..never mind

lyn
So true Lyn, but it's really great that we have sites like this, where people put up something that jogs your memory. I was truly mesmerised when i saw the massive post that Jeremy put up. There is so much info there that brought back more memories of my time at Tubes. We really would be lost without our site.

totally agree with you bazz but it must also be remembered that without our members contributions this site would have folded a long time ago..as i have said its a joint effort we must all pull together to keep the site going...

lyn

Back