• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Hi these are the pics of Saint Mathias football and cricket teams of 1954/1955 the names of the players are on the pics the ones I can remember, no cups or shields that I can remember.

Attachments

• Saint Mathias Sch.png
    Saint Mathias Sch.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • Scan_20150428 (2).png
    Scan_20150428 (2).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Anyone ever heard of St Vincent's RC Secondary School?; I don't think it is still open, although the primary school is. In the 1960s it had moved into a condemned building in Dartmouth Street. Only around 150 pupils from 11 to 16; seven classrooms with classes going to a nearby centre for science and craft. Hall on the first floor, and as the floor was unsafe no PE was possible. Games – the whole school went by Corporation buses to Erdington. Mr Pearson was the Head and Mr Prior the Deputy Head.

I took ONE photo of the football team (but it WAS in colour!). Team: this is your chance to shine, your moment in the sun.
I recall only one player by name, Tommy Bermingham, front row fourth from left. As you can imagine, with such a small mixed school the team was multi age. St Vincents FB 1966.jpg

Following on from David re: BGTS team, here's 1 plus the Sunday league team we formed from the VERY successful school team. I notice there's a flying right winger pictured top left on the school photo and again bottom left on the Sunday team. Plus, I have to say, a big butch goalie 4th from the left on the Sunday team. Probably DB!!!
BGTS_First_Eleven_1964_65.jpg

Sunday_League_Team_281240_x_97229.jpg
What was the Sunday team called? They were very good, I remember playing against them with Saltley Spartak. Dave Quick ex BGTS

It was called Redhill United, David.
Yes, of course. I remember Paterson especially, class player, I recall watching him play for Birmingham Boys at St Andrews. From your excellent photos, I also remember Poultney & the guy who used to play in glasses. Terry Poles was a mate of mine for a while, great dribbler with the ball, used to nutmeg me all the time. I think he used to live in the block of flats at the Yew Tree. I recall the names of Annis & your good self from school and Mr Churchward & Mr Burbidge. never able to get in the BGTS school team, you lot were always too good, condemned to rugby. I was in Faraday house (yellow). Nice reminiscing - thanks. DQ

Played in Goal for Lea Village Sec Mod,With Ronny Atkinson(Man Utd & Villa managers) in the 50s .Anyone from that way.

Last edited:
Well done Vic now can you add the details School year, names. You should be able to add script info and then down load the photo via attached files.
Your efforts àre appreciated and 5he history invaluable.

Well done Vic now can you add the details School year, names. You should be able to add script info and then down load the photo via attached files.
Many thanks Bob. Forgot to say school was Wattville Road, Handsworth. About 10 minutes from the Albion Ground. (Hence the striped kit.)

Many thanks Bob. Forgot to say school was Wattville Road, Handsworth. About 10 minutes from the Albion Ground. (Hence the striped kit.Scan_20190613 (3).pngScan_20190613 (4).png

Names of lads in stripes are as follows Standing left to right myself Vic Fellows,Fred Spencer,Jeff Clarke,(D) He would not wear the kit because he was a Wolves supporter!! John Aston, David Adams,Graham Kendall(D) ,Billy Lello,Dennis Hunt, Brian Williams. Seated Bob Beech, Mr, Harrison Headmaster who lived into his 100,s Alan Herbert(D) . Harvey H. Jones teacher, Norman Maybury , (1955/56) Other names in plain strip- Back row Norman Maybury, Brian Jones,John Aston,Leslie Wild, Billy Jones (D) David Adams, Ronnie Drew. Middle row- Arthur Wild, Mr.Harrison Headmaster.Jeff Clarke(D) Mr. Sandford Mickey Spencer. Seated Dennis Hopkins, Barry Holland (D) I have probably cocked it up but at least I had a go!!!

Hi I'm Barry Etheridge, played for perry beaches school 1958 to 1961 finishing in the 1st11. We were joint winners of the Ansells Shield 1960-61 season both games finished 1-1 after extra time. I scored our our goals. Does anyone remember Peter Gordon, David Pretty, Keith Welch, Terry Jones who played in the same team. My nick name was Ethel if you remember.

Hi I'm Barry Etheridge, played for perry beaches school 1958 to 1961 finishing in the 1st11. We were joint winners of the Ansells Shield 1960-61 season both games finished 1-1 after extra time. I scored our our goals. Does anyone remember Peter Gordon, David Pretty, Keith Welch, Terry Jones who played in the same team. My nick name was Ethel if you remember.
This isn't actually a reply Barry but I don't know how to just post a general question about schools football. My question is about Ley Hill Primary School, Northfield which opened in 1954, and I attended from its very day in September '54 until leaving for Bournville Tech in 1957. It's now known as Orchard Croft I believe. The headmaster was Derek Wright and in that very first season of 1954/55, I recall that we won a cup/shield at quite a high level. When I went to an all day 40th anniversary celebration of its opening in 1994, there was a great deal of memorabilia on display including cine films and photos, because Derek Wright was a keen photographer.

I was looking through one album and a teacher told me that someone had stolen one of the photos that morning, which was of this winning team. They could have just asked for a copy and the school would have obliged. Names I can remember are Harvey Russell, Tony Navaratil, and ??? Sims. Would anyone out there have a copy of this photo as I would be keen to see it.
Trevor.

Hi All, this photo would have been 1962 I think. Birmingham Boys u/11 or u/13 cant remember. Three of us from Sheldon Heath comp.in the team.

Two photos of Wattville Road Football teams. I know all names on both photos, sadly some deceased. My name is Victor (Vic) Fellows I thought I would try and put some photos on. (First Time) I can but hope!!View attachment 134988View attachment 134989View attachment 134988View attachment 134989
I played for Dudley Rd against Wattville Rd a couple of times on the Black Patch, never an easy time. Maybe those Albion jerseys made them more confident than us.
In 1953 our headmaster Mr Reece burst into the classroom to announce in unbelieving terms that we'd lost 6-3 to the Hungarians at Wembley, Gil in goal to boot.
Life has never been the same since.
Barry

Hi, I'm writing on behalf of Lillian Doreen Aston and Anthony Terence Guise. They are my in laws who attended Eliot Street school in the 1930s and 1940s. Lillian lived in Chattaway Street and Anthony lived in Needham Street. If anyone remembers them (it's a longshot as they're both 91 later this year) please reply. They'd love to hear from you.

Back