• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Film cameras

I am sure the members would love to see some of your images. I too have a certian amount of nostalgia for film cameras

I have two drawers upstairs full of stuff as shown below. Cables for obsolete printers, computers etc. My first digital camera a Casio which used compact flash cards with a massive 32Mb memory. Something called 'Shanghai Moons Automation' ... I've forgotten what I used it for ... I suppose Google would tell me.

Other items as can be seen ... I didn't look in the other drawer, I think it is full of chargers ... :grinning:
Img__0133.jpg

Last edited:
I have two drawers upstairs full of stuff as shown below. Cables for obsolete printers, computers etc. My first digital camera a Casio which used compact flash cards with a massive 32Mb memory. Something called 'Shanghai Moons Automation' ... I've forgotten what I used it for ... I suppose Google would tell me.

Other items as can be seen ... I didn't look in the other drawer, I think it is full of chargers ... :grinning:
View attachment 134740
Phew, i thought i was the only one who didn`t throw old techie stuff away. I`ve got more cables than the old Maplin stores!

Like evey one else I also have a tea chest full of photography bits and pieces plus boxes of cables and chargers I cannot remember to what....Might need them one day, I keep telling the wife.....

The Casio camera seen in #8 was bought in 1999. It used AA batteries and old style Compact Flash memory cards. It was too large to fit in my pocket when visiting the grandkids so I bought a compact and the Casio lay unused. Recently I put some new batteries in but a message showed 'need to format the memory card' and it would not.
It took quite decent close-up photos as shown below.
BeeLavender.jpg

View attachment 134740
Just what I needed a picture of what's in your draws on a Sunday

Likewise I have tons of cables, cameras, CD drives, memory on the basis of never throw it away as you might need it one day. That was valid when I was the foreign residents go to repair/update man a few years ago. But three or four years ago I made it quite clear that I was no longer prepared to serve in that role. Damn it - I've still got the boxes of outdated gear. I keep telling the other half that I will clear it all out, but never seem to find time to do it, but she's a horder like me! Help! o_O:eek::cool::mad::p

Maurice

I have 3 top of the range digital cameras, but just fancied going back to basics and film.
The Casio camera seen in #8 was bought in 1999. It used AA batteries and old style Compact Flash memory cards. It was too large to fit in my pocket when visiting the grandkids so I bought a compact and the Casio lay unused. Recently I put some new batteries in but a message showed 'need to format the memory card' and it would not.
It took quite decent close-up photos as shown below.
View attachment 134741

I think thats a super image, spot on. I see lots of photographers buying their photography and treating camera equipment like fishing tackle, most of it is there to catch the angler not the fish.

In the 1970s I took lots of 35mm slide pics but could only look at them with a small viewer. I fitted the previously mentioned Casio camera to a wooden jig positioned 2" from a slide held in a cardboard holder with a back light behind it and photographed about a 100 of them to view in a computer. A sample below and looking at it now there is darkening at the corners but these days I could easily remedy that with an image editor.
03230024.jpg

Here is a slide taken by my late uncle in the 60s, but this is with a dedicated slide scanner and with much dirt removed.

I think reproducing them digitally and looking with a tablet is much better than sitting in a dark room with a projector!

View attachment 134745
Brilliant pic your uncle took.
I pointed my iPhone 7 at your post on my laptop and took a pic which automatically went from the iCloud to the Microsoft Cloud and then posted here ... not perfect but a reasonable phone pic of a laptop screen ...
The first camera I ever used as a child was a Kodak Box Brownie.
20190602_182310885_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
In all fairness, it looks quite good to me. I have used an expensive slide scanner. I took ages and the results were very much the same. Now people add a vignette to their images.

I'm glad this thread started because I've just got my 20 years old Casio digital camera out again and cleaning some contacts with a cotton bud has enabled the 8Mb compact flash card to now be formatted. This will allow me to take 18 photos and the 4 AA batteries will last about an hour. The digital viewer on the back of the camera is very small and dim so not easy to see and I keep forgetting to remove the lens cap before switching on ... the camera does not like that!

The camera took the photo in post#15 and if a similar bee lands on a flower I will try to take a similar photo.
I have however noticed there do not seem to be as many bees around as there were 20 years ago.
:)

In the 1970s I took lots of 35mm slide pics but could only look at them with a small viewer. I fitted the previously mentioned Casio camera to a wooden jig positioned 2" from a slide held in a cardboard holder with a back light behind it and photographed about a 100 of them to view in a computer. A sample below and looking at it now there is darkening at the corners but these days I could easily remedy that with an image editor.
View attachment 134744
Is that Woolacombe?
Bob

Gentlemen
Thank you all so much for enabling me to show this thread to my wife to prove that;
1. I am not the only person with boxes full of computer and photographic necessities and
2. It is very important that they all be kept

Now can one of you give me the answer to her final question which was 'What are they all for?'

Bob

Is that Woolacombe?
Bob
Yes Bob it is Woolacombe and I have quite a few similar pics in the Woolacombe thread ...
This thread keeps reviving old memories. A couple of slide photos from 1972. We went there year after year - a lovely place - such happy times ...

03220078.JPG
index.php

Me and my Son.

03220066.jpg
index.php

My late wife and my son.

A warm sunny glow has appeared around the photos...:)

Back