• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Country Museum

Just back from seeing the film Stan & Ollie. Some of the scenes were shot in the Black Country Museum. The Bottle & Glass Inn appears with an enormous CGI bridge to the side - supposed to represent Newcastle. Not sure if they used the interior to film too. They also used the fish & chip shop, Canal Street and a trolley bus.

Also they used the Old Vic.

Good to see. Must have made some money for the venues. Viv.
Yes, a great film which I thoroughly enjoyed but it does seem a bit strange with the Black Country Museum as a location for Newcastle and and I have read somewhere that Beamish in the North East appeared in some episodes of Peaky Blinders.
Bit of a paradox?

I remember going to Crich tramway museum and it coincided with a 40s weekend. It was like stepping back in time and lots of wartime uniforms, demob suits and jitterbugging. Great visit and I didn't realise until we went in that the museum has the original Birmingham Tram Depot Gates.

Also from the early days, the entrance to the Dudley tunnel, The rebuilt shop with Gold leaf advert retained, but shop still to be fitted out , and reflection in chemist's window - now there are shops there reflected, not the foundry.

A Reflection on the Blackcountry Museum.jpgblackcountrymus8A.jpgblackcountrymus9A.jpg

That is how I remember the wharf area at the BCM when I visited it in March, 1993. I believe I still have the souvenir pen I purchased there. One regret was the trolley buses were not operational on the day I visited, but that old boneshaker tram was.

There have been a few 1940's weekends there now, quite poplar

View attachment 134704
I was really surprised to see this photo on The BHF website because the Air Raid Warden is me. I am a 1940s re-enactor and have been doing this display at the BCLM for the last few years now. I also took part in the recent Peaky Blinders event street theatre there. Thought I would just add that I am also part of a group that did a Battle of Britain operations room display there for charity.
Peaky one copy.jpg

Last edited:
Also from the early days, the entrance to the Dudley tunnel, The rebuilt shop with Gold leaf advert retained, but shop still to be fitted out , and reflection in chemist's window - now there are shops there reflected, not the foundry.

View attachment 142855View attachment 142856View attachment 142857
Great photos Mike. First time we went there with the kids was around 1979. Remember that the school was isolated on the corner with only the fairground next to it. Later, the fairground was moved along to accommodate the Conway garage.

love the place...i live there... visiting as many times as i can during the year..and of course they are soon to be starting bringing in more old buildings...wonderful tribute to the history of the black country...just a shame birmingham didnt have the same vision nearly 50 years ago...too late now

lyn

Back