• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edifi

master brummie
Just watched 2 guitarists buskers in Barcelona brilliant.Also Andrais Botchelli singing Autumn Leaves .Sooper Dooper.

Excellent, Spargone, to make this sound best, you really have to be able to think in multi "channels" rather than just sit there and play the dots, and Tom does this. Great stuff, I will add my contributions later in the day.

Maurice

I'll have a listen to that later, Spargone, but here's one I promised yesterday. Sadly Larry and Aladar are no longer with us and Bireli is well into middle age.

Maurice

Maurice, great to see three men enjoying playing their music together!

Do we have to go back to the 1930s to see lots of young men playing music together? We certainly don't often see so much energy as here: Benny Goodman and his orchestra with 'Sing Sing Sing'

Not entirely, Spargone. I remember seeing the Basie Band - Count Basie himself was already dead - at Symphony Hall this century, and Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton & Woody Herman were still touring in 1960. Admittedly, Woody Herman was only doing it bcause the US tax authorities were hounding him - not his fault as an employee fraudulently pocketed thousands that he should have paid to the IRS. Artie Shaw retired much earlier than that simply because he hated the celebrity lifestyle.

I was still doing National Service in either 1956 or 57 when I saw Lional Hampton at the Victoria Hall, Hanley. All good bands but very costly to run. I think Herman was the last one to pull the plug for the reasons I mentioned - the IRS hounded him to his death despite efforts by fellow musicians to get them off his back. I did forget one jazz-based big band still going - the Jazz at the Lincoln Centre Orchestra in New York and some of their performances are on YouTube.

Now our symphony orchestras are going the same way, cut down by about a third in size and most of the BBC orchestras have gone too. To perfom some of the works requiring larger orchestras, musicians are hired by the night

Maurice

I must admit I am not a huge fan of vocal music, and just occasionally things will appeal. I worked with a Four Freshman-style vocal group when I was still in Brum - they needed an accompanist for rehearsals and some more arrangements done, so I found that quite interesting. I also found an East European Jazz Chorus on YouTube, about 60 members in all and all had their own microphones. That was good, but the YouTube search engine is not very good unless you have an exact name.

Maurice

17 years old sitting in a Rolls Royce that came in for repair listening to Roger Whittaker on the 8 track because the guy was old and did not have the usual Who, Floyd etc, but I have had stayed listening to him and still to this day the song Dirty Old Town just takes me right back "kissed a girl by the factory wall", music all kinds just takes you back all those great girls our Pet, Cilla, Lulu, and Dusty still getting radio play here in the US, most days I listen to Pandora on my phone or the putter

Dave,

Hiromi has always had a ridiculous technique and has been in various piano battles with Chick Coria and Herbie Hancock and come out well. The problem has always been that she lacks feeling in her music and I think that to some extent this is still true. As she is getting older, she's beginning to realise that jazz is not just a shooting contest and she can only get better.

This has always applied to young instrumental geniuses and Joey Alexander is another. In ten or more years time he will start to be worth listening to too.! :)

Nevertheless, she has an amazing technique and is accurate with it - I didn't spot any bum notes! :cool:

Maurice

Dave,

Hiromi has always had a ridiculous technique and has been in various piano battles with Chick Coria and Herbie Hancock and come out well. The problem has always been that she lacks feeling in her music and I think that to some extent this is still true. As she is getting older, she's beginning to realise that jazz is not just a shooting contest and she can only get better.

This has always applied to young instrumental geniuses and Joey Alexander is another. In ten or more years time he will start to be worth listening to too.! :)

Nevertheless, she has an amazing technique and is accurate with it - I didn't spot any bum notes! :cool:

Maurice
Hey Maurice, Have to agree on the so called lack of feeling in her music. However, I've always attributed this to the fact that she is Japanese and my experience listening to Japanese music of many genres as usually been very similar. This does not in any way, diminish my love of her music, which I have enjoyed for more than 15 years. I don't see her lack of feel as an impediment to her career, which is quite obvious by now. I have seen her many times in many different combinations and have enjoyed all equally, although I must admit to leaning more to the prog side like Sonic Bloom.
Dave A

Alright, let's have something slightly different - a vibraphone solo by the world master, who has just retired from music altogether, Gary Burton. I had to go back a bit to find a video,- about1966 or thereabouts - so the audio is not the best, but amazing nevertheless. He's playing a Jobim tune and Gary Burton was one of the people , along with Stan Getz and Gene Lees, who was instrumental in bringing Brazilian music out of Brazil.

Maurice

Music is such a personal thing. I don`t like jazz unless you call `Stranger on the shore` ( Acker Bilk ) My fav classic is Pachelbel canon in D Major. John Denver for country/folk, & the one & only Elvis singing just about anything, such a handsome talented guy & all us youngsters were so jealous of him. Still play his music most days.

Music is such a personal thing. I don`t like jazz unless you call `Stranger on the shore` ( Acker Bilk ) My fav classic is Pachelbel canon in D Major. John Denver for country/folk, & the one & only Elvis singing just about anything, such a handsome talented guy & all us youngsters were so jealous of him. Still play his music most days.
Agreed, music is 'a personal thing'. Jazz comes in many varieties, Dave Brubeck and Jacque Loussier are easier on the ear for those not into 'hard core'. Miles Davis and perhaps 'Sketches of Spain' provide a bridge from 'classics to jazz'.
For those that like Pachelbel's Canon may I suggest Pavane by Gabriel Fauré:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back