• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Hill Cemetery

Have you just reposted this request?
I actually have the photos on my phone. I was about to, post them when there was a problem and the forum was down for some days.

There is no gravestone, as it''s a public (multi-occupancy) grave. I went to the cemetery office to check that I had the correct area, which is how I found out it was a public grave. I took a photo of the area around.

Hi! Yes I did repost and thank you so much for replying. Oh my, really you have photos?? Could I see them please. Sorry I have never heard of a public grave or what that entails. My dad would be delighted to see a picture, thank you so much for this. xx

20151221_105142_photo1.jpg 20151221_105151_photo2.jpg

Including 2 photos that I took on a wet and bitter day just before Christmas. Sorry it has taken so long to post them on here.

Photo 1 is a pictures of Section 7 grave 398, which is the closest I could find that day to 383. The public grave is along this row, in one of the unmarked slots shown in photo 2. In a few weeks I have to go back to Lodge Hill to replace the plants on the family grave, so I will choose a better day and have more of a wander to see if I can work it out more closely. If I'm not getting soaked and frozen, I should be able to confirm which if the unmarked areas the grave is in!!

One thing that you could consider is asking them to put a marker on the grave; although I could ask it would be better if the request came from one of the family, although there may be a small charge. They are really helpful at Lodge Hill office. Once we know there is a marker, I can go over there and photograph. It’s literally 10 mins in the car.
Contact the office on: 0121 675 7970 or email on lodge_hillcem&[email protected]

In the meantime, I hope that these two pictures will help. You have my email address now, so let me know when/if you contact them.

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do this for us. I am overwhelmed just to see where my grandfathers resting place. The photo is so clear and the area looks beautiful, my dad will be so pleased to see this tomorrow. I will definitely phone the office and get a marker placed, that is such a great idea and thank you so much for all the details. May God bless you and you will have good fortune and luck for doing this xxx

I'm in the process of trying to find what appears to be an unmarked grave at Lodge hill but it doesn't look as though I will be able to get there in person for some time , i would appreciate any help or advice any one has.
many thanks
Ogri

I went to Lodge Hill this morning to see the Remembrance book but the doors are locked at weekends now.
There is a "virtual" book outside, i.e. a touchscreen. I was so pleased to be able to search for some other relatives as I didn't know they were in the Book!!
I haven't checked yet to see if they have put it online too.
rosie.

A look at the buildings of Lodge Hill Cemetery.

Main entrance from Weoley Park Road.

The Lodge House / office designed by F. B. Andrews, dated to 1895.

The Crematorium seen from Castle Road. Designed by Holland W. Hobbiss and dated 1937.

Didn't notice when I zoomed in a funeral was taking place!

Building seen from Weoley Park Road too dangerous to use now. Another F. B. Andrews design.

Last edited:
Are the panel still there? Spent many unpleasant hours caving name's on them in the 1950s

Attachments

• IMGP0398.jpg
    IMGP0398.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 22
Oldbrit, I went to Lodge Hill this morning, the panels are still in place in the room where they keep the Book of Remembrance. (I didn't go into the Chapel.)
I think it's wonderful that they still exist, and hopefully will still be there for many years to come. Thank you for your work!!
rosie.

Oldbrit, I went to Lodge Hill this morning, the panels are still in place in the room where they keep the Book of Remembrance. (I didn't go into the Chapel.)
I think it's wonderful that they still exist, and hopefully will still be there for many years to come. Thank you for your work!!
rosie.
Thanks for looking spent many many hours carving those. But I did ride my bike from Yardley every day so that helped to keep fit, I think the smell was the thing I did not like.

Lodge Hill Cem Map

I have been reading the tread here and have a copy of the map for Lodge Hill Cemetery, and if you would like a copy, I could try and scan it and send to your email address, hope this will help anyone who needs it.
Lodge Hill Cem Map

I have been reading the tread here and have a copy of the map for Lodge Hill Cemetery, and if you would like a copy, I could try and scan it and send to your email address, hope this will help anyone who needs it.
Would love a copy of the map if it’s available. My grand parents are buried there starting around 1959, Henry Knight, so it would be great to know their location. Thanks.

phil veecees post offering a map of lodge hill was made 11 years ago and i am afraid he/she is now only a guest of this forum so will not be able to reply to you

Here in the USA it is MEMORIAL DAY A day to remember all those that gave there all to assure us of freedom. I am so glad that the wood panels are still there at Lodge Hill. Each one in its own way was is a memorial to the people that have passed on. Many probably service members who also gave their lives to protect our freedom

phil veecees post offering a map of lodge hill was made 11 years ago and i am afraid he/she is now only a guest of this forum so will not be able to reply to you
Saw the date After I’d posted. I’ll look out for this in the future. Thanks.

hi all this is real long shot i have just discovered that my great grand mother dies in 1B raddlebarn road the old workhouse/selly oak hospital, she died in 1941 i have looked everywhere possibly avalible in birmingham for her final place and have drawn blanks is there anyway i can find out where she may have been buried. thanks in advance

hi all this is real long shot i have just discovered that my great grand mother dies in 1B raddlebarn road the old workhouse/selly oak hospital, she died in 1941 i have looked everywhere possibly avalible in birmingham for her final place and have drawn blanks is there anyway i can find out where she may have been buried. thanks in advance

hi could you give us her name and when she was born it may help she may also have been cremated

lyn

Last edited:
Back