• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ice Cream Man

Along with two others called "The Mr Whippy Story"and "The Mister Softee Story", all recent and available from Amazon. A great story, Down Memory Lane!

Maurice :)

The ice cream van around Hockley was Verrechio.

Carolina dear Verrecchia probably the first ice cream maker to have an ice cream parlour 1953/55 just before the hill going up Dudley Rd from Spring Hill . May have been the first ice cream vans with fluorescent lights early 60's Tony Verrecchia used to cover quite a lot of Birmingham, I remember him in Winson Green area while visiting my sister RIP in Harding St. Tony carried the business on from his Father then Tony died some years ago

Carolina dear Verrecchia probably the first ice cream maker to have an ice cream parlour 1953/55 just before the hill going up Dudley Rd from Spring Hill . May have been the first ice cream vans with fluorescent lights early 60's Tony Verrecchia used to cover quite a lot of Birmingham, I remember him in Winson Green area while visiting my sister RIP in Harding St. Tony carried the business on from his Father then Tony died some years ago
That's what we had in Paddington St. I thought it was Verrecchio's....
Dave A

Another building, in the background, to identify, in adap2it's post/ This might be easier than the other thread. :grinning:
If there is not a Verrecchia ice cream presence in Birmingham any more there is in Cambridge. I am not sure whether this an relation but the surname is not uncommon. Many in France, but not all in the ice cream trade.

Last edited:
WilliamStreeter,

Some languages change the ending of forenames and surnames according to whether they are males or female, and according to whether you are talking about them or talking to them. I'm not sure what the rules are in Italian as I don't speak the language. In Greek, a name of, say, Manolis Fragakis would, when referring to his wife or daughter, be, for instance, Sofia Fragaki. If I was talking to Manolis rather than about him, I would address him as Manoli.

A drummer friend of mine, who was married to an Italian lady, always said it was a very difficult language to learn. I can speak personally about learning the Greek language, which has the additional complication of not using the Latin alphabet like most of northen Europe. Fortunately I have a Greek son-in-law who speaks excellent English!

Italian is part of the languages usually known as Romance which derive from Latin (Classical and Vulgar). One thing about Italian, usually, is that most letters are pronounced, that is why it sounds expressive to some peoples ears.

WilliamStreeter,

Some languages change the ending of forenames and surnames according to whether they are males or female, and according to whether you are talking about them or talking to them. I'm not sure what the rules are in Italian as I don't speak the language. In Greek, a name of, say, Manolis Fragakis would, when referring to his wife or daughter, be, for instance, Sofia Fragaki. If I was talking to Manolis rather than about him, I would address him as Manoli.

A drummer friend of mine, who was married to an Italian lady, always said it was a very difficult language to learn. I can speak personally about learning the Greek language, which has the additional complication of not using the Latin alphabet like most of northen Europe. Fortunately I have a Greek son-in-law who speaks excellent English!

I appreciate your point Maurice, I pointed this out mainly for the fact that all the ice cream vans and the parlour on Dudley Rd were all spelt with an a at the end of the surname . After all they were Bona Fide Italians and would know how they spelt their own name

The ice cream man on the caravan site in Prestatyn had the best whippy ice cream I have tasted in a long time!! Mom especially liked the fizzy sherbert dip he put on them, along with the juice and sprinkles lol.
Sue
na. honey ice cream made in Aberaeron is better.me thinks

My mother after working all week from 7 am till 4 pm used to sell ice cream on Sat & Sun from a bike for an Italian ice cream maker at the top of Erskine St.This was in 1946-49

Hi,
Back in the 60s I used to work with a young lady who
was related to the Verrecchia family.
From memory her name was Pat Holland.
Kind regards
Dave

Hi Dave89,

I remember that brand of ice cream very well when I lived in Brum it was lovely (soft & smooth). I left Brum in the early sixties with my parents and moved out to a country village in Staffs & the ice cream man used to come round on Sunday on his sidecar outfit & ring a bell to let you know he was around ha ha.

Lozellian.

How about the best cone ever a 99 that soft serve ice cream with a Cadburys Flake poking out the top, or the red sauce on top or the sprinkles (we called them 100's and Thousands) and do not forget the crushed nuts,

Hi Bob,

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you on that one mate I can almost taste one right now ha ha mmm. Do you remember the fruit sundaes you could get from the ice cream man, I seem to recall there were a variety of fruits, but they were mostly fruit cocktail, which came in little tubs complete with a wooden spoon mmm.

Lozellian.

Hi Bob,

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you on that one mate I can almost taste one right now ha ha mmm. Do you remember the fruit sundaes you could get from the ice cream man, I seem to recall there were a variety of fruits, but they were mostly fruit cocktail, which came in little tubs complete with a wooden spoon mmm.

Lozellian.
Walls Ice cream, the same kind the girl sold at the pictures during the intermission with that tray hanging round her neck with the little light,. How about Butterkist popcorn remember the add "do you love me" "of course l do I buy you Butterkist"

Back