• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St.Barnabas Church Erdington. Great War Memorial Plaque update.

Harold Edward Pitt was born on 8th September 1884 in High Street a Erdington. He was the son of Francis John Pitt and Lilian Mary Anne Pitt (nee Turner). He was my paternal grandmothers brother. He was an edge tool worker before joining Coldstream Guards for 3 years in 1903. He was posted to London. In 1906 he left as a reservist and joined the Worcestershire Police as Pc 196. He was posted to Lakey lane and Sparkhill police stations and transferred to Birmingham City Police in November 1911 when boundary revisions took place. He was then PC E 210. He met his wife whilst on duty. She was a nanny in the area. He married Ellice Bertha Boylin on 12 April 1908 at St. John’s Church Sparkhill. They had no children. He was recalled to colours on 4 August 1914 whilst still in police. At that time he lived at 131 Oldknow Road Small Heath. He landed in France on 12 August 1914 in 2 Battalion Coldstream Guards. He was wounded on 1 February 1915 at Cuinchy Pas De Calais. He died of wounds the following day and is buried at Lillers Cemetery grave BIII45. I have much documentation plus death plaque and dog tags. I also have a letter from comrade outlining how he died throwing German grenades from trenches. Hope this helps Nick. I will post more photos.

I cannot understand how your response came on an e mail to me and I responded immediately and you didnt receive it. I am happy to use the thread though. If you google Hal He appears on West Miss Police history site.

Harold Edward Pitt was born on 8th September 1884 in High Street a Erdington. He was the son of Francis John Pitt and Lilian Mary Anne Pitt (nee Turner). He was my paternal grandmothers brother. He was an edge tool worker before joining Coldstream Guards for 3 years in 1903. He was posted to London. In 1906 he left as a reservist and joined the Worcestershire Police as Pc 196. He was posted to Lakey lane and Sparkhill police stations and transferred to Birmingham City Police in November 1911 when boundary revisions took place. He was then PC E 210. He met his wife whilst on duty. She was a nanny in the area. He married Ellice Bertha Boylin on 12 April 1908 at St. John’s Church Sparkhill. They had no children. He was recalled to colours on 4 August 1914 whilst still in police. At that time he lived at 131 Oldknow Road Small Heath. He landed in France on 12 August 1914 in 2 Battalion Coldstream Guards. He was wounded on 1 February 1915 at Cuinchy Pas De Calais. He died of wounds the following day and is buried at Lillers Cemetery grave BIII45. I have much documentation plus death plaque and dog tags. I also have a letter from comrade outlining how he died throwing German grenades from trenches. Hope this helps Nick. I will post more photos.

I cannot understand how your response came on an e mail to me and I responded immediately and you didn't receive it. I am happy to use the thread though. If you google Hal He appears on West Miss Police history site.
Thanks for the info, I am sure that I have heard about this chap before, may be my friend Rob told me of it. Not sure?

Thanks for the info, I am sure that I have heard about this chap before, may be my friend Rob told me of it. Not sure?
Thanks Nick What is Robs second name. When I was at work a Rob Williams helped me with early research over 20 years ago pre internet. I am not on Facebook but my son Adrian is. He has asked to join your group. Is that ok?

Thanks Nick What is Robs second name. When I was at work a Rob Williams helped me with early research over 20 years ago pre internet. I am not on Facebook but my son Adrian is. He has asked to join your group. Is that ok?
His name is Rob Rolf, I have not looked in to it yet but I recall a very similar story. Yes of course Adrian can join.

Ok Nick thx. I am still getting the hang of this forum. Did the 7 or so photos I posted about 30 minutes ago appear? Can’t see them at my end!

if members want to swap their contact details ie email addresses/telephone numbers it is advisable to do so via our private message system (inbox top right of the page) as they are just that...private between only the sender and recipient...hope this helps

lyn

if members want to swap their contact details ie email addresses/telephone numbers it is advisable to do so via our private message system (inbox top right of the page) as they are just that...private between only the sender and recipient...hope this helps

lyn
Thx Lyn. Is this the envelope icon start a new conversation?

yes that is correct..just click on the envelope...thanks for the photos etc....they are a nice edition to this thread

lyn

well i can see all of the images you have posted on this thread so well done..happy to help

lyn

I have started to add photos and sort biography's to the Facebook page (Erdington Great War memorial)
If you would like to take a peek and give some feed back it would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick.

I dont know what to suggest?
Happy to help, but not sure if its wise to make my email address open for others to see??
But I have not received your email.
Its been some time since we communicated.
This is partially because I have been busy and also I locked myself out of the Facebook page by accident.
Now I can access the Great War memorial Facebook page again I can restart my efforts to populate it.
I am unsure if you have visited the page or not?
However, you will find Harold prominently displayed with the info you so kindly gave to me.
https://www.facebook.com/Erdington-Great-War-Memorial
Link supplied.
I will now be able to build on what we have for other relatives, but I have a hurdle to jump and I need to spread the word.
I need to find those who know how to do crowd funding and patriot pages.
This is outside of my knowledge base.
Thanks for be patient. Nick.

Back