• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St.Barnabas Church Erdington. Great War Memorial Plaque update.

Nick Bradbury

master brummie
Dear All,

You may recall last year that I was looking for additional information on the fallen for the great war memorial in St. Barnabas church?
This was to help my course to have the memorial plaque rebuilt and rehung.
My application to reinstate the memorial was quashed by the vicar on the grounds that it would not go with the decor!
The then incumbent Ms. Freda Evans has retired some two weeks ago.
And so, I have been in touch with the Archdeacons Associate for Aston.
Well, guess what boys and girls, it looks as though the memorial with all your relatives’ names will go ahead subject to approval of the sitting tenants of the church.
Your thoughts please?

Nick.

Attachments

• Great War Memorial  WW1.jpg
    Great War Memorial WW1.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 21
Good luck .l went to the same church has my gt,gt,grandad was buried there l asked the vicar if she could help me locate where he was layered to rest . I explained that he was William Routley died in workhouse in 1877 she said it was way back and before her time and she didn’t know what,where he was buried l know it was mother’s day and she was busy she was shouting at me omg l thought it was my mother’s day gift going to places he lived ended his days to his resting place .l experienced from her. I was crying not a nice vicar a lady one too . st .Barnabas church so l am glad you had a good out come .

A shame your experience was not a good one Tena. I would have thought that even if the place of burial was not known some advice where to find the information could have been made. After all clergy should know how to advise enquirers especially if they had reason to believe relatives were buried there. But, post 1# mentions a retirement, maybe that was the person you encountered, the new incumbent may be more helpful.
There is a thread here:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/st-barnabas-church-erdington.9445/
It has a lot about St. Barnabas church. There maybe something to interest you once the posts relating to the fire have been passed.

Have you managed to find any facts from other sources?

Good luck .l went to the same church has my gt,gt,grandad was buried there l asked the vicar if she could help me locate where he was layered to rest . I explained that he was William Routley died in workhouse in 1877 she said it was way back and before her time and she didn’t know what,where he was buried l know it was mother’s day and she was busy she was shouting at me omg l thought it was my mother’s day gift going to places he lived ended his days to his resting place .l experienced from her. I was crying not a nice vicar a lady one too . st .Barnabas church so l am glad you had a good out come .
I am sorry that you had a hard time with Freda Evans, I can not comment individually on this persons attitude as it may get me in to trouble in some way. But I would apply again to the church.
Although other members of that church may have good intentions, their detective skills may be well... limited.
There are other ways on line.
Try this first, (Find a grave online) here is the link. https://www.archives.com/uk/search/...RC6oWM087qmyQEetzFxoCMPwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or write to The reverend David Urquhart Old church rd, Harborne, Birmingham, B17 OBG.
They may be able to help you further.
Hope this helps.

Firstly, good news. When you say rebuild it, can you give us some detail?

The memorial was by public subscription which raised £20,000 and was made by Mr C.E. Bateman at Messrs Bridgeman & Co in Lichfield. The inauguration was attended by Henry Wakefield Bishop of Birmingham on 12th December 1920. The memorial was sadly destroyed by fire in 4th October 2007. WMO ID:258286 – WM reference 38612

Measurements: Height 1800mm Width 1000mm.

nick i would like to think the parishioners of st barnabas and erdington in general would be happy to help with the funding..i am sure if you can raise awareness within the community a lot of people would be happy to help...good luck

lyn

nick i would like to think the parishioners of st barnabas and erdington in general would be happy to help with the funding..i am sure if you can raise awareness within the community a lot of people would be happy to help...good luck

lyn
I hope so too. Lets see how it pans out?

Dear All,

You may recall last year that I was looking for additional information on the fallen for the great war memorial in St. Barnabas church?
This was to help my course to have the memorial plaque rebuilt and rehung.
My application to reinstate the memorial was quashed by the vicar on the grounds that it would not go with the decor!
The then incumbent Ms. Freda Evans has retired some two weeks ago.
And so, I have been in touch with the Archdeacons Associate for Aston.
Well, guess what boys and girls, it looks as though the memorial with all your relatives’ names will go ahead subject to approval of the sitting tenants of the church.
Your thoughts please?

Nick.
Nick. I haven’t visited forum for some time. Great news about War memorial. My Great Uncle Harold Edward Pitt appeared on the old one and I would very much like to support the restoration by making a contribution. How can I do this ?

Nick. I haven’t visited forum for some time. Great news about War memorial. My Great Uncle Harold Edward Pitt appeared on the old one and I would very much like to support the restoration by making a contribution. How can I do this ?
Hi,
Yes I have Harold E. Pitt - 5046 of the coldstream guards on my list of names.
Well firstly, I would like any further information you may have inc a photo if possible.
I would like to know his occupation - parents names and wife.
This helps putting forward the case for the new memorial.
At this time things have gone a little quiet, but the ball have been started rolling and so its a case of wait and see.
There are plans to renovate Erdington High Street, it may be possible and suggested that Erdington have a traditional
great war memorial such as the stone of sacrifice that you see in most towns and villages.
This would be adjacent to the church.
Further I have suggested to the powers that be a web site and information made available for those searching
for information and for educational purposes.
Money wise, well its still early days, one suggestion was to adopt a soldier to raise funds.
I am in touch with the rotary club and local councillors.
However I am still waiting for the written permission from St. Barnabas to proceed with a grant from the CWGC.
So things are pretty slow.
However, I have created a facebook page, search for (Erdington Great War Memorial) to find it.
Apply to join the page and we can make things grow and get things moving.
I hope this answers your question?
Nick.

Hi,
Yes I have Harold E. Pitt - 5046 of the coldstream guards on my list of names.
Well firstly, I would like any further information you may have inc a photo if possible.
I would like to know his occupation - parents names and wife.
This helps putting forward the case for the new memorial.
At this time things have gone a little quiet, but the ball have been started rolling and so its a case of wait and see.
There are plans to renovate Erdington High Street, it may be possible and suggested that Erdington have a traditional
great war memorial such as the stone of sacrifice that you see in most towns and villages.
This would be adjacent to the church.
Further I have suggested to the powers that be a web site and information made available for those searching
for information and for educational purposes.
Money wise, well its still early days, one suggestion was to adopt a soldier to raise funds.
I am in touch with the rotary club and local councillors.
However I am still waiting for the written permission from St. Barnabas to proceed with a grant from the CWGC.
So things are pretty slow.
However, I have created a facebook page, search for (Erdington Great War Memorial) to find it.
Apply to join the page and we can make things grow and get things moving.
I hope this answers your question?
Nick.
Thanks Nick.

I have responded to your e Mail re my Great Uncle Harold Edward Pitt who appeared on the memorial. I have fully researched him and would only be too willing to assist you in any way possible in your endeavours to replace the memorial.

If anybody on the forum can assist me to find my great uncles missing 1914 star I would be more than grateful.

Attachments

• 2C185EA8-D06F-40A8-A384-F6DB65D505BE.jpeg
    2C185EA8-D06F-40A8-A384-F6DB65D505BE.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 9
If anybody on the forum can assist me to find my great uncles missing 1914 star I would be more than grateful.
Hi,
Thanks for posting the photo, I will add this to my records.
As for the missing 1914 Star, well a relative must have had possession at some point.
Start with the next of kin, then any descendants and try and find living relatives.
I fear its the only way, but its very possible.
This worked for me recently.
Nick.

Hi Nick

Did you receive my e mail response re my great uncle or do I need to post details here on the forum?

I replied to an e mail from Birmingham forum sending you details of Hal’s history plus 7 photos. It did not bounce.

I replied to an e mail from Birmingham forum sending you details of Hal’s history plus 7 photos. It did not bounce.
I dont know what to suggest?
Happy to help, but not sure if its wise to make my email address open for others to see??
But I have not received your email.

Back