• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

I never see any mention of the Pelican on the forum, I seem to recall it being quite a popular watering hole in Newtown at one point? I remember they used to have a good darts team in the early 70's. Yet another pub gone, I'd never be surprised if they didn't reconstruct one & put it in a museum to tell future generations what they were.

Lozellian.

I never see any mention of the Pelican on the forum, I seem to recall it being quite a popular watering hole in Newtown at one point? I remember they used to have a good darts team in the early 70's. Yet another pub gone, I'd never be surprised if they didn't reconstruct one & put it in a museum to tell future generations what they were.

Lozellian.
I'm sure this has been posted on the forum before. I remember remarking as to why a M&B pub would have such a large advertisement for it's biggest business rival Ansells on it's roof :confused:

I'm sure this has been posted on the forum before. I remember remarking as to why a M&B pub would have such a large advertisement for it's biggest business rival Ansells on it's roof :confused:

Hi jmadone,

I've got to admit as I was not a regular of the Pelican, I've never seen the advertisement you speak of, do you know of any photos that show the ad?

Lozellian.

i think the ansells sign is some sort of photographic trickery...if you zoom in to it it just does not look as though its attached to the roof

lyn

Hi Astoness,

I know nothing of this mysterious sign, is there an image of this phenomenon on the BHF that you're aware of?

It's good to see you back on the forum, hope you're keeping well & building up your strength.

Best wishes,

Lozellian

thank you lozellian i am getting there slowly thank you for asking..the photo in question is of the st georges tavern which is on post 85 on this thread..its got the m and b sign on the front of the pub and what appears to be an ansells sign stuck on the roof but like i said i reckon the ansells sign is a bit of trickery...just my opinion...

lyn

thank you lozellian i am getting there slowly thank you for asking..the photo in question is of the st georges tavern which is on post 85 on this thread..its got the m and b sign on the front of the pub and what appears to be an ansells sign stuck on the roof but like i said i reckon the ansells sign is a bit of trickery...just my opinion...

lyn

Hi Astoness,

I finally found the picture and I see what you mean, trickery indeed lol.

Lozellian.

Do any members remember this pub , It was only 200/300 yards away from The St Georges Tavern(The Lights)
It was called The Britannia , on the corner of Tower Street and Hampton Street opposite St Georges Church
It was another one with a nickname it was known to all of its regulars as JACK SHAWS, after a previous Gaffer.

Attachments

• Brittania Inn (Jack Shaws) Tower st Hampton St..jpg
    Brittania Inn (Jack Shaws) Tower st Hampton St..jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 38
I'm a bit late joining in with this, but I came across a photograph of a Hospital Street pub posted elsewhere and there seemed to be some confusion as to where it was. I landed on this thread and found it useful, but around 2008 there seemed to some confusion here, or was it lost memories? I have attached the photograph, which was either St Georges Tavern/Inn, "The Lights" (Was that a nickname? If so why), The Vulcan or the name The Vine also got thrown in (Inn) for good measure. I've also attached a map showing the location of The St Georges Tavern (just along Tower Street from St Georges Church) in 1961. I'm sure this will not add much to the discussion, but I suspect this is one of BHF's "lost" photographs as it was refered to (in 2008) as being next door to houses with front gardens - rare in this neck of the woods I think.View attachment 133969View attachment 133970
Why would an M and B pub have an Ansells sign over it ? strange.

I am posting regarding St. George's Tavern (The Lights) as my greatgreat and great grandfathers used to run it. They were Edward Groves, who was there on the census forms 1841 and 1851 and Alfred Groves around the 1860's. I f anyone could provide any information about them and/or the pub I would to very grateful for your help.

Edward Groves is listed in directories from at least the 1841 edition till the 1868 edition (which would refer to 1867).
Alfred Groves is listed in directories at ST Georges Tavern from the 1862 edition up to the 1876 edition ( which would refer to 1875), but he has gone by the 1878 edition ( which would refer to 1877). He is in the 1871 census also (see attached). By that time the street was named Tower St.
1871 census 18 Tower St.jpg

Can anyone recover photos in posts # 57 - 61 please ? I know they’re Photobucket photos, but I think it’s possible in some way to recover them. Would be great if we could repair this thread. Thanks. Viv.

Do any members remember this pub , It was only 200/300 yards away from The St Georges Tavern(The Lights)
It was called The Britannia , on the corner of Tower Street and Hampton Street opposite St Georges Church
It was another one with a nickname it was known to all of its regulars as JACK SHAWS, after a previous Gaffer.

This is a long shot I know .... does anybody recognise the two men in this photograph having a beer in the Britannia? The publican is Raymond Charles Ward who was the licensee in 1961 when this pic was captured ...

Britannia.jpg

A friend who is just over 90 tells me that as a child she lived with her family before the war at St George's Vaults in a poorer quarter of Birmingham. She went to the primary School opposite until she was evacuated to Wales the home of the barmaid for a couple of years. I looked at the photo of St Georges Tavern but I don't think it was that one as there is not a school opposite.If anyone can help I would be very grateful. I would love a photo to give to her if anyone has one please.

This is a map from a little later (1950). Pink dot is St George's Vaults (corner of Great Hampton Row & Unett St) and the orange dot is a school, which I suppose could be classed as opposite?

0 - St George's Vaults.jpg

William & Violet Underwood appear t0 be listed there in 1939.

Thank you so much for this.
You will have made two (me and her) old ladies very happy. I am using my hubbies membership on this site.
hi as your friend said her school was opposite st georges pub she would almost certainly have attended the old st georges school demolished long ago to make way for the newer st georges school...i think we have a couple of photos of the pub but not sure which one you have so i am posting the best one i have just in case you dont have it...also posting your friend ast georges school hall maybe 1937.jpgSt__Georges_School.jpgST-GEORGE'S VAULTS GT HAMPTON ROW UNETT ST 1959 A4 N61.jpg class photo taken at st georges....sorry i dont have a date for this one.. photo 1 is of st georges school hall possible date 1937

lyn

This is a map from a little later (1950). Pink dot is St George's Vaults (corner of Great Hampton Row & Unett St) and the orange dot is a school, which I suppose could be classed as opposite?

View attachment 167363

William & Violet Underwood appear t0 be listed there in 1939.
This is the one. She was soooooo happy today. Thank you.
If anyone has any info on the time of the Underwoods we would like to have it please.

hi did you see the old school photos and pub photo i posted on post 113 to show your friend

lyn

This is the one. She was soooooo happy today. Thank you.
If anyone has any info on the time of the Underwoods we would like to have it please.

It appears that William's father (James) was also in the pub trade. In 1911 I think they were at 172 Berners St (not sure what pub) and in 1921 at 168 Soho Road which I think was the Fighted Horse...

Violet's father a tobbacconist.

No mention of pub landlord James Underwood in 1910 Kellys
In 1913 Kellys (referring probably to 1912) James Underwood was at the New Inns
In 1915 Kellys (probably referring to 1914), James was at the Coach & horses, 93 Spring Hill
In 1921 and 1924 Kellys (probably referring to 1920 and 1923 respectively) James was at the Frighted Horse...

Back