• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

This old cottage was demolished to make way for an anti-aircraft gun. Any ideas where on Kingstanding Road this might have been ? Image dated January 1938. Viv.

View attachment 133997
Hi Vivienne

I think that it would be site of the army barracks between Goodway Road Dyas Rd I'm pretty sure it was an anti aircraft base during WW2 the actual guns was over the back near the right of way to Harbeck Av and to back of the Co-op Dairy

I used to live in Birdbrook Road I remember seeing mobile air craft guns on concrete base from a field we used play on at the back of Co-op dairy the barracks was fence off with rails.
The right away used to be a short cut school at Cranbourne Road.
The base used to called Light Anti Air Craft Regt, I think the Warwickshire Regt took over after the war as part of the Territorial Army, the guns Was call Ack Ack guns if remember right.
The right away at bachk used to lead you on to the sandpits the Bob Wilson fair used to use it.

Below is a map c1965 showing position of barracks and map c 1884 of same area. This would seem to indicate that the cottage was part of Halfway House farm

View attachment 134001View attachment 134002
Mike this map is very interesting the sandpit to right of the barracks was it every used as commercial quarry it was quit a drop from the back of the house in Dyas Road, I don't remember a coal yard being based at the pit.
I remember that a number of children was hurt playing on the sand pit 1 got killed they used to dig caves into the pit and one fell in.

Another sand pit existed on the other side of Dyas Rd don't know if that was natural our used foe extracting sand Dyas rd road wasn't a council road till the 1950'sand was just hardcore for many year.

Have anymore information that might fill in the gaps none of these sand pits was ever fenced off and was a real danger

The ones to your right as you walked down Dyas Road were not fenced off when I moved into Birdbrook Road in 1956, I used to go across the top and down as a shortcut to my house, still the same when I moved out in 1965.

They were built on some time after I left.

Opposite my house was an open field that later became, I believe, the driving test centre.

Ps. I went to Cranbourne Road school too, from 1940 to 45

Thanks for the maps Mike, it’s helpful to see Halfway House Farm in context. Didn’t realise that was where it was in all these years. I remember the TA drill hall being used as a polling station. Used to go with my mum and dad to vote. Don’t really remember much about the inside, didn’t take a lot of notice.

The sandpits were visible from Atlantic Road. Think I might have mentioned it before, but there was a gap in the houses (nearer the Dyas Rd end, not Old Oscott) which was later filled with housing. I’ve often wondered if they weren’t originally built to give access to the sandpits during the construction of the road. Viv.

I also went to Cranbourne Rd Sch although it was Kingsthorne by the time I started there in 1958. Viv.

All along the back of that very straight line of houses in Atlantic Road was our playground. But by the 1950s all the area down to the sandpits had been built upon. We used to ride our bikes up that alleyway behind Atlantic Road up to Dyas Road. It was an uphill slog and made worse by the sandy texture of the track. Great coming back down though.

We also used to cut through from the alleyway into the cul de sacs which were built on the sandpits. Again those ‘cut throughs’ we’re very steep. And quite difficult climbing back up. Otherwise you'd have to go all the way around and up Dyas Road (we used to call it Dyas Hill, in fact a lot of people called it that - for good reason).

The alleyway nearer Tresham Road and Old Oscott end of Atlantic was not quite as steep and we tended to concentrate around that area.

Quite amazing that we spent all day in those alleyways and no-one worried. Just turned up at home when we were hungry.

Viv.

Do you remember the butchers Viv?. My niece used to have a Saturday job there. They had another shop on the circle. A family run business by the name of Rochelle's.
Morning Jean
The Rochelle Butchers on kingstanding road was run by my nan's uncle. Do you have any information or photos of my family or the shop.
Kind regards Maxine.

When I was there the 33 used to terminate at the junction of Kings Road and Finchley Road, I don't think it ever went in the Birdbrook Road direction, it turned down Warren Farm Road from Kingstanding Road.
I know there was a bus that came down Dyas Road but I think it was an extension of the Perry Common 5a service and terminated at or near Aldridge Road.
Things changed quite a bit after I left Brum, the 29 and 29a became something like the 90 I think.

There was a driveway to the back of my house that ran from Dyas Road to Swinbrook Grove, looking on Google Earth it's fenced off at the Dyas Road end but still open but overgrown with weeds at the Swinbrook Grove end,
We all had garages off the driveway at the back of our houses, it looks as though they've ripped out the front gardens and park their cars there now.

When I last looked at the alleyways Eric (there were lots running along the the backs of the 1930s houses) most of them seem nowadays to have been blocked off. Don’t know why. But the alleys used to give useful access to different roads. There was one leading from Kingstanding Road into Atlantic Road which we used every day to go to Kingsthorne School. If it was raining we’d shelter under a Hawthorne tree in the alleyway. Used to think it was appropriate being so close to Hawthorn Road. Viv.

Welcome mcook. I don’t suppose you’re related to Nurse Cook, midwife. My mum often spoke about her. We were home births and she delivered me. Viv.

Back