• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Soho Road Handsworth

Can I have an inspired guess that this photograph is exactly the same spot in 1970? I'm evaluating the slope of the road and the position of the bus stop (left)
10151773a.jpg
it looks to me like the picture was taken not far from the corner of Linwood Road, maybe out side the tv shop, british relay. you can see the singer shop on the RHS and if you look carefully on the rhs you can just make out the snooker hall. and the bus stop is outside the pump tavern.
i hope that helps

Great pic Lyn. I used to walk up Soho Road regularly when young as we used to live just further down the road in Soho Avenue which was on Soho Hill. I used to go to the Nineveh Dance Studios which were on the left hand side of this photo, and situated on the corner of Nineveh and Soho Road. This was after trams ran along Soho Road though!! I wonder what date this picture would have been taken? Also used the swimming baths in Grove Lane every week with school and then on Sunday mornings to meet friends. The No.70 Oxhill Road bus used to go down Grove Lane.

Judy
Nice pic. My dad was a driver at Hickory Garage from the 50s through to the 80s. He drove the number 70 as well as the 11, 74, 79 and 96.

You might be right Lyn, but I can't say I remember trams on Soho Road at all, and I lived in Handsworth from 1942 and only ever remember using the bus. I remember the trams running down Villa Road to Lozells though.

Judy
You are right, the trams ran down Villa Rd & Lozells into Aston long after they stopped on Soho Rd.

Soho Road trams - to Dudley, Wednesbury etc. ceased running in 1939 being replaced by buses. The 24/25 routes also had ceased by that time being replaced by bus route 69. The 5 tram route - Lozells, Gravelly Hill survived until 1950.

Soho Road trams - to Dudley, Wednesbury etc. ceased running in 1939 being replaced by buses. The 24/25 routes also had ceased by that time being replaced by bus route 69. The 5 tram route - Lozells, Gravelly Hill survived until 1950.
I thought the number 5 tram ran a little later, but sounds right!

Can anyone please tell me if there was a Moskvich car dealers on Soho Road? I'm told it was in the vicinity of the Town Hall, but on the other side of the road. Thanks in advance.

G

Oh dear! Very sad to see Lyn. Wish I hadn't seen it really! Mrs Payne's sweet shop which was on the right was where I used to spend my coupons for chocolate/sweets once in a while after the war if I'd been good! On the left of the Google photo you can see the backs of the shops on Soho Hill. There was a café on the corner, then the newsagents run by Dick Pearce who was my Dad's best friend - I've stayed there once or twice when on a trip back to Brum many years ago. Then there was an Off Licence run by a Mrs Smith, next to that was a Grocers run by Mrs Bebbington, and finally Hills Greengrocers next to what was then Dennisons Watch Case Co.

judy looking at this street view of the shops next to dennisons it looks to me like at least one shop has been demolished could be 2 near to the corner..pretty sure there is an old photo on here somewhere showing all of the shops...i will try and find it...

lyn

Can anyone please tell me if there was a Moskvich car dealers on Soho Road? I'm told it was in the vicinity of the Town Hall, but on the other side of the road. Thanks in advance.

G
Seem to remember that the Moskvich Car Dealers were much further up the road. The site now located by Thandi Coaches /Bilston Community College.

judy looking at this street view of the shops next to dennisons it looks to me like at least one shop has been demolished could be 2 near to the corner..pretty sure there is an old photo on here somewhere showing all of the shops...i will try and find it...
lyn

Just looked at the Google map you put on Lyn, and the shop that has been demolished is the corner one which was a café. This old postcard from 1919 shows the top of Villa Road/Soho Road with the corner shop selling watches (that became the café) on the right.

Attachments

• HandsworthVilla_road2_000.jpg
    HandsworthVilla_road2_000.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for this, Two. You could well be correct about the location - near to where Soho Rd becomes Holyhead Rd. The reason I ask is that the other evening we were reminiscing, and I was reminded that someone I knew years ago bought a new Moskvich van from that place. I think it cost £399! He'd only had it about a month before it packed up, and he had a hell of a job getting it sorted out under the 'warranty', such as it was. I went with him once as 'back up'....but kept out of it!

G

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
yes i thought so judy....i am still searching for another photo i had showing all of of the shops..i actually remember that cafe

lyn

judy it could be on this thread but its such a long thread to wade through :rolleyes: :D so i will try seaching my files first and it could also be on the soho hill thread as technically this is the soho road thread...should keep me out of trouble

lyn

found it judy and you have seen it before...its on the soho hill thread but i will just post it here for you to save you going through the thread

SOHO HILL line of shops.JPG

found it judy and you have seen it before...its on the soho hill thread but i will just post it here for you to save you going through the thread

View attachment 133840

Well thanks for looking and finding Lyn. I see that Ramesh & Sons have a monopoly, but Dick Pearce's old shop is still a Newsagents! I had a Saturday job in there for a little bit when I was still at school!! I have a photo somewhere showing the area viewed from St Michael's Church but can't find it at the moment. Thanks Lyn.

Just looked at the Google map you put on Lyn, and the shop that has been demolished is the corner one which was a café. This old postcard from 1919 shows the top of Villa Road/Soho Road with the corner shop selling watches (that became the café) on the right.
I am wondering about the 1919 date on that photo.
The reason is that the tram route 5 originally ran from May 1906 to Villa Cross. BCT extended it to the terminus in Villa Road in January 1913. Looking at the photo I see no overhead wires in the photo, just the two tall standards with lamps.
I wonder what other think?

lyn
You are correct...….there used to be a very tall building on that corner.

Back