• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BCT's First Lady.

terry widlake

My mother Betty Widlake, became Birmingham's first woman bus driver. She worked as a conductress for some years than the threat of one-man operations loomed over her job so she went to the gaffer and told him she wasn't about to be put out of a job. He sent her to school to get a PSV licemce and the rest is history.
1335561556389117972.jpeg

you must be very proud of your mom terry... smashing photos....well done betty

lyn

Last edited:
Well done to your mother. Having relied on women drivers throughout the war, it took a long time later to be accepted.
Should have mentioned that we had women driving in wartime. My early childhood memories included seeing the 'camoflaged' buses outside the Kyotts Lake depot in Sparkbrook. In those days, Mom was making munitions at the BSA in Small Heath.

Back