• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Temple Row

Yes the graveyard of St Phillips Paul - I think it was reduced in size on the Temple Row side, but maybe someone can advise. Viv.

This photo must have been taken sometime around 1969 when the Bank of England was about to be built (right). Rackhams Temple Row side can be seen (left) and Tiffany’s Boutique can still be seen. This corner of Cherry Street site is now the Regus. Viv.

View attachment 133542
Love this photo Viv. Takes me back to when I had my ears pierced in a jewellers in Cherry Street (probably just out of view) back in the late 50s!

The developers may have had an obligation to provide shop units for smaller shops displaced by the rebuild of Rackhams in which case reinstating the NW Arcade would have been an ideal place. I remember the arcade being T shaped with a branch going off to Bull Street but that has disappeared.
[/QUOTE

As far as I can remember from working on the site when the construction was taking place of the first phase of Rackhams and the adjoining office block, there were three or four small shops included on Temple Row between Bull St and the NW Arcade , the only one I remember was a tobacconist ( Withers ?). In the NWA there were possibly 5/6 shop units on the left side , about halfway down was the Irish Linen shop this shop was on the corner of the short branch which went towards Bull Street, this was slightly higher up from the side entrance into Rackhams.

I tried to reply to poolpit's post but the quote seems to have got lost. The shop on the corner of Bull Street and Temple Row was Mappin & Webb the jewellers. My parents bought me my watch for my 21st birthday there. I still have the watch but it is not working at the moment.

Love this photo Viv. Takes me back to when I had my ears pierced in a jewellers in Cherry Street (probably just out of view) back in the late 50s!
Also takes me back to when I went out with a young lady who worked in James Pass the music shop again just a few doors down in Cherry Street but not, as far as I can see, in the picture.

This photo must have been taken sometime around 1969 when the Bank of England was about to be built (right). Rackhams Temple Row side can be seen (left) and Tiffany’s Boutique can still be seen. This corner of Cherry Street site is now the Regus. Viv.
Around 1957-1959, I remember Tiffany's being the home of 'Model Aerodrome', a model maker's shop,mainly catering for,unsurprisingly, model aircraft enthusiasts, although they also sold model boats,cars, and model railway equipment..…………………..Mal

Last edited:
I tried to reply to poolpit's post but the quote seems to have got lost. The shop on the corner of Bull Street and Temple Row was Mappin & Webb the jewellers. My parents bought me my watch for my 21st birthday there. I still have the watch but it is not working at the moment.
In late 1960's did Mappin and Webb have another branch in Upper Priory, across from Lewis's or was that Perry Greaves? Can't find a picture of this site on BHF.

Could anyone tell me when the original houses in Temple Row were demolished? I have reference to 14,15,and Temple Row House in 1900 but nothing after that. Any ideas? Any photos of that time of course would be like gold dust....

Could anyone tell me when the original houses in Temple Row were demolished? I have reference to 14,15,and Temple Row House in 1900 but nothing after that. Any ideas? Any photos of that time of course would be like gold dust....
Hi, there is a Temple Row thread with over 200 posts as below. It probably won't have exactly what you are looking for but may be worth a browse through etc.
oldmohawk ... :)
This post of mine was in the thread you started but now moved to the main thread see below ...

Last edited:
I can't remember the exact date (early sixties?) but when I was a young lad I went with my mum to see a friend of hers who was the caretaker of a building somewhere around Temple Row. The building housed rehearsal rooms for ATV studios and while we were there the cast from "Crossroads" arrived. I was thrilled and they were all very gracious, especially "Sandy" (Roger Tongue?) What a great soap that was- and killed off just because the ageing viewing population although massive, didn't buy loads of useless stuff so the advertisers wouldn't buy the advertising space each side of the programme.

I think one other shop in the Arcade above the Irish linen Shop was Thorntons.

Looking across St Philips towards Temple Row, the building of Rackhams store is in progress. The buildings at the junction of Temple Row with Cherry Street are still in place. Perhaps the model shop was still on the corner at this time ? Viv.

62E14861-E08F-46B7-B3EB-E5172661756F.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

I knew of the old connection between Rackhams and Wilkinson & Riddell but I did not know that they were on adjacent sites. I knew Wilkinson & Riddell in Cornwall Street as my mother had an account there. It would be only a few years later that they moved again to Priory Queensway where their building has been mentioned on another thread.

Looking across St Philips towards Temple Row, the building of Rackhams store is in progress. The buildings at the junction of Temple Row with Cherry Street are still in place. Perhaps the model shop was still on the corner at this time ? Viv.

View attachment 154738
Source: British Newspaper Archive

I remember that lovely old building on the corner - Margaret Tregonning's florists was in the ground floor of the side nearest to the Rackhams building.

Back