• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Service

By the way there is now a great aircraft museum at COSFORD guess, racing cars and bikes is on my mind as usual

Never mind John, we are all getting older. I went to the museum last year, it's very good, if you are interested in engineering you could spend a whole day there.

Dave

I did a photograpy course at RAF Cosford in the mid-70s.
Strange place, we had civilian instructors for our course, yet in the same building there was a course, (colour photography), lasting several months, run by the RAOC.
Vintage aircraft were dotted about the camp then too.
By the way, during my service I wore SD, BD and No2 dress.
Oh, and I had a Westy named Hamish, he died about 10 years ago, aged 17.

I have heard it's now possible to get a certificate of National Service if you have the soldier's reg number. As my Dad served in Africa in 1950-2 this is something I'd be very interested in. Does anyone know how I go about it?

Typical!! It does say it will take months but I did not realise it was that long. I must ask my Dad if he would want his record.

Sitting watching the television on Sunday morning of the Remembrance Day March past it struck me that the youngest living National Serviceman must be in his mid 70's.

I remember my 2 years service as if it ended yesterday.

Following the service I watch a programme of woman stars that had the call up.

One of these stars was Dot Cotton out of East Enders was call up and one of her duties was be trained as a cinema projectionist.

They showed a bit of an American training film of landing crafts beach to off load staff and equipment.

I went into national service in Sept 1959 the Royal Engineers no. 3 training Regt in Cove near Aldershot after training I was sent to 17 Port Regt at Marchwood Southampton.

Like most recruits at this time you was put on general duties cookhouse, bog cleaning, clerical duties, I complain to Major that I was a trained Mech. Engineer, so he sent myself on a 2 week projectionist course at Beaconsfield which I passed and set back to 17 Port,

I was assigned to take over from a Sapper being demobbed in week's time, I showed the very same American training films that BBC showed bits these films had been made in the 40's and still being used in the 60's.

I soon got bored with this went see the Major again, his rely was what are going to do with you Sapper I ended up as the Regimental Headquarters staff Pay NCO for the remaining 18 months.

I loved it I was the Pay NCO for RSM, WO 1 & 2 I got out of parades had the best equipment from stores and looked after very well in the cookhouse.

Happy days

When you look at the youth today they'd benefit from 2 years in the services.

None of our age liked being called up but I'm sure I benefited from it although not financially after completing an apprenticeship and just earning really pay.

My Army pay 23 shillings & 9p a week plus my wife with a youngster got £5. 5 who lived with my mother-in-law shillings my wage whilst working was £12 10 shillings a week, I wonder how we coped but we did.

I forgot I got 3 shillings and 6p for each tape for last 12 months.

No other benefits was available nor was any accommodation available.

Food for thought

Hi Everyone,

I'm New to the Birmingham History Forum & this Tread, Re-National Service,

My father did his national Service from 1948-1950,
His name was Kenneth john Burgess( But had a Nick name from his days there called (Binga Banga) Don't ask me why because i don't know, could be that he loved to Preform & Sing, & could be from the song back then (binga banga bonga in the Jungle) haha

Sadly we don't know Our dad's Service number Or what he did from his time serving in national service, We do know he was in the Warwickshire Reg, he was born in 1931 in B,ham, Could Of been the Royal engineers(Not 100%)

He served on the Suez canal, & In Abu Sultan & the Rifle range in Egypt ,

I have a few Photo's of his days spent in Egypt & a Beautiful leather Photo Album with pyramids on that we brought back, which i will always treasure, My dad died quite young aged only 50yrs old in the early 1980s, So we didn't get a chance to ask him all we wanted as we were Only teenagers when he passed away,

In the photo album he has written a few names of Pals he must of served with & friends he knew from the R.A.F,
We heard that we could of got a medal for his service on the Suez canal campaign but sadly didn't know his service number,

ill add a few photos from his time in Egypt, he also had written on one of the Photo's(Roll On the Boat) most likely waiting for the boat to take him back home,

First Photo is of my dad(Kenneth/Ken Burgess) taken in tent 4, On the Xmas Eve Of 1950 says on the back of photo in Egypt, Enjoying a few drinks & a Cigar by the looks of it,

2nd Photo Is my Dad Ken Looking all Dapper & dark in his Uniform Just back home fresh off the boat with his mate Gerry?(Says on back of photo) Outside the house he lived in with his Grandmother Florence Stubley On Priestley Rd in Sparkbrook,

3rd Photo Is a beautifully done water coloured painting Of dad in his Army Uniform

4th Photo Is my Dad & Mom, Ken & Pat) this is when he must of finished his national service & met Our mom In C&A in Town(Birmingham town Centre) Mom worked at c&a, & we heard that Our dad met her when he was doing some Electrical work for C&A, early 1950s, they married in 1955.

I have a quite a few Photos of dad in his national service days, some are very tiny photo's, don't know what Camera they Used to get those, I can post some if anyone would be Interested in seeing them,

I would love to know more Re- his days spent in Egypt, Would he have a Service Record does anyone Know?

I know this tread is a few years old, so hope some will get to see my Post,

Regards

Lisa

Attachments

• daddy....jpg
    daddy....jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20
  • dady.jpg
    dady.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 21
  • dad in egypt.jpg
    dad in egypt.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 25
  • daddy & mommy 1950.jpg
    daddy & mommy 1950.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi lisa, your dad's medal, would have been "The General Service Medal", with a bar, "Canal Zone", he was not involved in any Campaign, as such just a posting of the British Empire Serviceman. He is also entitled to the "National Service ", medal, I am a little confused, as the colour picture of your dad in uniform, shows him wearing a white lanyard on the left shoulder which usually denotes the "Royal Artillery". The Royal Engineers Corps" wore a blue lanyard, and as far as I know, the Royal Warwickshires was "Cerise" or Red? though could be wrong. Hope this helps, regards Paul Stacey

Hi Everyone,

His name was Kenneth john Burgess( But had a Nick name from his days there called (Binga Banga) Don't ask me why because i don't know, could be that he loved to Preform & Sing, & could be from the song back then (binga banga bonga in the Jungle) haha

Sadly we don't know Our dad's Service number Or what he did from his time serving in national service, We do know he was in the Warwickshire Reg, he was born in 1931 in B,ham, Could Of been the Royal engineers(Not 100%)

I have a few Photo's of his days spent in Egypt & a Beautiful leather Photo Album with pyramids on that we brought back, which i will always treasure, My dad died quite young aged only 50yrs old in the early 1980s, So we didn't get a chance to ask him all we wanted as we were Only teenagers when he passed away,

In the photo album he has written a few names of Pals he must of served with & friends he knew from the R.A.F,
We heard that we could of got a medal for his service on the Suez canal campaign but sadly didn't know his service number,

ill add a few photos from his time in Egypt, he also had written on one of the Photo's(Roll On the Boat) most likely waiting for the boat to take him back home,

First Photo is of my dad(Kenneth/Ken Burgess) taken in tent 4, On the Xmas Eve Of 1950 says on the back of photo in Egypt, Enjoying a few drinks & a Cigar by the looks of it,

2nd Photo Is my Dad Ken Looking all Dapper & dark in his Uniform Just back home fresh off the boat with his mate Gerry?(Says on back of photo) Outside the house he lived in with his Grandmother Florence Stubley On Priestley Rd in Sparkbrook,

3rd Photo Is a beautifully done water coloured painting Of dad in his Army Uniform

4th Photo Is my Dad & Mom, Ken & Pat) this is when he must of finished his national service & met Our mom In C&A in Town(Birmingham town Centre) Mom worked at c&a, & we heard that Our dad met her when he was doing some Electrical work for C&A, early 1950s, they married in 1955.

I have a quite a few Photos of dad in his national service days, some are very tiny photo's, don't know what Camera they Used to get those, I can post some if anyone would be Interested in seeing them,

I would love to know more Re- his days spent in Egypt, Would he have a Service Record does anyone Know?

Regards

Lisa
Can't find anything regarding military service on Ancestry but have found him on the 1939 register living in Great Brook Street. You may be able to access this record yourself but if not and If you want details of the entry let me know and I will forward it to you.

Hi lisa, your dad's medal, would have been "The General Service Medal", with a bar, "Canal Zone", he was not involved in any Campaign, as such just a posting of the British Empire Serviceman. He is also entitled to the "National Service ", medal, I am a little confused, as the colour picture of your dad in uniform, shows him wearing a white lanyard on the left shoulder which usually denotes the "Royal Artillery". The Royal Engineers Corps" wore a blue lanyard, and as far as I know, the Royal Warwickshires was "Cerise" or Red? though could be wrong. Hope this helps, regards Paul Stacey
The Gunners wore their lanyard on the right shoulder when I was in.

Hi Everyone,

Regards

Lisa
If as you say your father might have been in the Royal Engineers could have been stationed at Marchwood Southampton 17 port Regt. McMullen Barracks, they trained lightermen, stevedores, and other dockside activities.

I was stationed at 17 port during the late 50's for 21 months after training in Farnborough a few of the old regular soldiers was involved in the Suez crisis and also Aden and told many tale. I was national service but glad to say I didn't see any action.
All I saw was luxury liners coming and going I was at Southampton when the merchant seaman went on strike and the liners was 3 abreast along the quayside,
The Cunard liner the Queen Mary seamen didn't strike and was forced to dock up next to the King George V dry dock.
She down Southampton Water on her voyage to America at 9.30 in the morning passed our camp and blasted her for horn as she passed every strike bound ship it made hair stand up on the back head that's when I had some.

The ship I remember being strike bound was the Canberra, The new Windsor Castle, Oriona to name a few.

The Royal Engineers are no longer stationed in Southampton, like a lot of other young men I didn't want to do NS but I made the most of getting couple tapes 3 shillings and six pence a week for each tape to add to my 23 shilling and 5 pence a week.

Back