• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tolkien's Birmingham

Did I hear somewhere that the decendants are not very happy with the way hes being portrayed?

Last edited:
Saw the Tolkien advert on a bus in Acocks Green the other day!

No I don't think they filmed any of it in Birmingham!

Read about the Tolkien family not approving of this movie. If they didn't get approval, why did they even make it?

I doubt you have to get permission to make a story film about anyone - so many films have been made with famous people as the subject.

The Guardian reported that the family made a point that they were not so much objecting, but refusing to be associated with it, as commercial films of this type tend to overdramatise (ie invent) parts, and the family did not wish it to seem that they were going along with any of these inventions

Absolutely Mike. I think it’s only right that a family should be able to distance itself from these things - inevitably not everything will be based on fact in the name of of entertainment. Viv.

I believe the next series of Peaky Blinders will feature Jessie Eden, and it will be interesting to see how she is portrayed.

The problem of course is when there is no one to set the record straight, or doesn’t have the means to do so?

the mention of twin towers could have possabily be looking across lonbridge from the lickeys with one tower being the hospital at hollymoor and the other being lonbridge pumping station origonly by the longbridge island but gone now

The Hollymoor Grade II Listed Building doesn’t yet seem to feature in the Forum. The Google Earth 3D view and the listing description below...

769958E4-0F76-453F-BDB0-D6061278EFC0.jpeg

Hollymoor Hospital Water Tower.

On a visit to Iceland many years ago. We were told by the guide that Tolkien's nanny was Icelantic and she told him many of the folk-law stories that are passed down verbally through the families during the long winter nights. Those he eventually wrote down and that is were he got his stories.

On a visit to Iceland many years ago. We were told by the guide that Tolkien's nanny was Icelantic and she told him many of the folk-law stories that are passed down verbally through the families during the long winter nights. Those he eventually wrote down and that is were he got his stories.
She was his children's au pair I believe. Tolkien had read the sagas in English translation since childhood and had learned Old Norse, so he was able to greet her in Icelandic. https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/sigrunthormar/tolkiens-icelandic-au-pair

What an interesting person Tolkien was. Just been reading up again about his childhood in Birmingham. Well I say Birmingham but of course neither Sarehole, Kings Heath or Rednal were in Birmingham at the time.

Another few quibbles I have. Lots of sources talk about Sarehole as a village or hamlet. Was it ever? Sarehole Mill was orginally in open fields with little sign of development in Tolkien's day and was the only use of "Sarehole" that I can trace. Incidentally I think that where Tolkien lived [Gracewell Cottages] was Wake Green.

But my real quibble is the constant reference to Sarehole [Mill] and where Tolkien lived as located in Hall Green. They were not. Again, they were both in Wake Green although in modern terms they are described as in Moseley. I've always thought of the River Cole as the boundary as does BCC. See Street View from the River Cole bridge looking towards the mill.mill.png

The same view today. The first house does not exist in the above photo although it looks as if the tree is still there. The black and white effect on the cottages is not quite the same
1695132068589.png

Back