• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vine Street Aston

jhc

Brummie babby
I used to live in Vine Terrace ,Vine Street Aston.the Harpers,Jack & Ivy
Is my mom & dads names.
i would love to hear from anyone else that lived there i cant seem to find anything to do with this street atall, i would love a photo.
We used to live there 1952 to 1962/3, up the terrace.Some names i remember are , Harris , Batty, Teal, Ward, Lakin, Chearington,Biddle,Coats who run the greengrocers, Whinspers shop on the corner & of corse Lakes Which is still there.
I would to hear of anyone else who has the same memories.

Bye for now
John Harper

Hi John.I use to live in Park Street,Aston.Just round the corner from Vine. My name then was Janet Harris,my mum and dads names were Pat and Dave. I use to live next door to the O'Briens, Joyce and Richard,and daughter Charisse.There were the Howells,David,Micky,Caralyn..Bells..Oh so many

Hi There IHC ,
I Was Brought Up On Lichfield Rd Just Along From Vine Street, And My Cousins Used
To Lve At No 10 Park Street And I Can Recall Afew Of Them Family Very Vived
My Older Brother Married A Bell ,And I Married A Girl Whom Name Was Williams And She Was The Neice And Cousins To The Teals In Vine Steet And My Younger Brother
Married A Girl Arond The Corner WhomName Was Bagshaw It Was Good In Them Days
I See Now Its All Industreal Factory Units Its A PityWe Cannot Put The Clock Back
Do You Remember Dyson Hall ?> I,ll Say One Thing Our Kid Its A Very Small World .
Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;

hi I used live just the corner at 4 Sandy Lane we moved out 1942 to Great Barr.

My Gran & Grandad lived at 6 till they were pulled down, and aunt lived across the road the Alice Dunk.

Do you remember Harrison's corner shop on corner of Vine Street and Mathews the greengrocers in Sandy Lane below the Vine Pub.

Doctor Gould's was on the corner.

Ray

Jhc I went to school with a Linda Chearington and Alan I also was friends with a Carol Bagshaw. Possibly not any connection but thought I would say. Jean.

Last edited:
HI JEAN
Nice to hear from you ; i amnot sure about all the family names of the bagshaws
even thou they are my inlaws i will try and ring mary today my sister inlaw and speak with my brother
to confirm if there is any connction to her i do know there is one or two in the famiy
my cousins lived atno ten ; park st the marsdens ; val; christine ; and sheila ; uncle frank from wiggan
and aunty edith ; my dads sister ; and as i mentionion i was married at one time to a member of the teals
cousins; but that was when i left the green and lost contact with george ;
speak soon , best give my regards to pete ; best wishes alan ;;

Alan I have just remembered Trevor Bagshaw married Carol and lived in Manor road afterwards. Jean.

hi all just came accross this post.
i lived in vine street from 1966 to about 1974 mrs teale lived there then dont know if its same family,she let us use her
garden so i could have my photo taken with my new baby brother1969 she had grass in her yard so she was posh lol.she was lovely,she also had a relative by the name of frankie but didnt think much of him.

Last edited:
hi guys
i was in the life bouys at dyson hall park street and my two brothers and friends was in the 1st company of aston boys brigade ; and all three of us was in the dyson hall church choir and the aston parish church choir every sunday morning and the evening services we were all payed five bob ; two half crowns
along with johny lloyed ray jarrett all from the same terrace of cromwell court lichfield rd
cousins lived at number 10 park street just yards from the vine pub and dyson hall and my brother married mary bagshaw ;and still married happily
have a nice day ; alan ; astonian

Do you remember Harrison's corner shop on corner of Vine Street Ray

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread. I am the grand daughter of Joseph Edwin Harrison who was the only child of Mr and Mrs Harrison who kept that shop. I know very little about them and as my grandad sadly passed away December 2009 and my nan is not very well any more I can't really enquire. If anyone has any further info I'd be really grateful. Family legend has it that my great grandmother was something of a 'tough' character :) Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance .

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread. I am the grand daughter of Joseph Edwin Harrison who was the only child of Mr and Mrs Harrison who kept that shop. I know very little about them and as my grandad sadly passed away December 2009 and my nan is not very well any more I can't really enquire. If anyone has any further info I'd be really grateful. Family legend has it that my great grandmother was something of a 'tough' character :) Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance .

Hi

I remember Mrs Harrison very well, always helpfull as were most of the little shops then in the 1940/50's grey haired and wearing what we used to call granny apron .

At the top end of Vine Street in Sandy Lane was another little shop Katie Dampers it was a shop withs the walls covered with 100's drawers from floor to ceiling from small one's to large ones all painted Council Green.

Half way down Vines Street on the other side to Harrison Corner shop was a printers can't remember the name.

Across the road from Harrison' in Church Road there was an Ansells outdoor and on the corner of Lichfield Road was "The Domestic" a household furniture shop they used to run clubs that people would collect shilling from neighbours and every few weeks you would have a credit note to spend it was called a chance.

On the other corner of Church Road & Lichfield Road was a cafe I think it was Jelfs you used to get a cup of tea and piece of toast with drippen on lovely grub.

Them was the days everybody was glad to get any little food they could.

Hi Astonian,

I just came across this thread more or less by accident, and I see that you mention Dyson Hall. This is where my parents met, about 1937, when they were in a musical society. Do you have any more information or, even better, pictures of Dyson Hall from those days? My late dad talked of it a lot, but I never really figured out precisely where it was. Thanks in advance, Alan,

Big Gee

HI RAY ;
Nice to hear from you again yes you are correct in your sense of direction and yes it was the jelfs cafe on the other side of church lane
and lichfield rd aston ; it was my grand fathers coffee shop ; and e jelfs family cafe for previous years which was passed from one jelf to another right up until the mid
fifties where grand father sold it to his sister ivy that shop was passed from generation to generation right up until then ;
as you know they was dotted all around brum ; usaly about a mile apart ; soon after that ivy sold the shop to an out sider ; which later became
a flower shop ; and at one time afew years ago we had a member on this forum whom her parents she said bought the shop from a jelfs
but strangly the member was called flower girl ; but she as disapeared for some reason ; ;
still not to worry we celebrated the queens coronation in that big shop; all but most of the people from the cromwell terrace which was just along from the shop on
the oppersite side of the rd yards from thompsons the butchers ; the grand father erniest jelf and grand mother victoria hinton ;
whom was very wealthy ; supplied the table and chairs and all the food stuffs from there two foods provisions ware housing one on tyburn rd and one at aston cross [ park lane ] for the celebrations of the coronation ; of the queen for all the kids and adults for the tennants of cromwell terrace which was twenty familys
we had it out on the lichfield rd and when it finished only selected people was invited that being the grown ups and there kids
all went down across the rdto continue the queens coronation and the gropwn ups all chered and raised a glass of somthink to the ueen and shout hip ; hip
hooray ; graham ; yes i remember the dyson hall very well indeed and all that went on there there was alot going on there of alsorts of shows regular and nightly
i was in the buoys brigade and my other two older brothers and friends was in the first company of the boys brigade ;
ronnie was the lead drummer billy whom as recently died at seventy years old was the front bugle we was also in the dyson hall choir ; all three of us ;
our long standing friends today still as we was all neibours and school frinds whom are still alive today was also in the brigade
was johnny lloyed ;from white house street and neibour to the chinns ; parents and the jarretts of cromwel terrace was [ raymon and terry jarratt ]
and my old mate colin gaskin ;whom lived at number one the terace ; i . m still searching for him ; he may have died or alive i do not know ; but still searching for him ; graham ; sorry to say i have not got any pics of the hall i knew one time we had pics on here but as you know some scoundrel on here as skanked the pics of our great society still may be after reading this one may appear ; yet ; still i have my memories and the pics as clear as god made apples in my mind ;
by the way i am slowly getting use of my arm back so soner or later i wil pay you both a visit ;
have a nice day to you all best wishs astonian ;;

I've just been in my vegie patch watching the green parrots flying around and I was suddenly whisked to the other side of the world and another side of my life. A little boy pulling bags of coal to the side of a lorry to help my dad in Vine Street and Sandy Lane. Taint fair bringing memories back like that, my kids think I'm mad. Regards, David.

CharlotteElizabethHarrison001.jpg JosephEdwinHarrison.jpg vinestreet shop.jpg

Many thanks for the reply Ray, it's nice to know someone remembers them. I thought you might like to see these pictures. The first shows my great grandmother Charlotte Elizabeth Harrison nee Roath with my uncle John Harrison. The second shows my great grandfather Joseph Edwin Harrison and my uncle Joe Harrison. The third shows Charlotte Elizabeth with my uncle Joe and my mother Mary Elizabeth Harrison, they are outside the shop. I would estimate the date to be around 1953

Attachments

• vine street.jpg
    vine street.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi debs ;
one of the sibblings of the teals was frankie teal he always wore a japanese kamoda around his shoulders when he was in the house ;
and did janet harrison have auburn har in colour ; or it could have been a sibbling whom lived in vine street as i recall
from school days a very attative young lady she was ; astonian ;

Hi.

Super pictures it's just as I remember the shop Nan used to sent me down for bottle of lemonade can't think whether it was Rights or Whites.

Thanks for sharing them Ray

Hi Astonian
Just for the record. I am the flowershopgirl and as can be verified from land registry records, my parents did in fact purchase the property on Lichfield Road from a member of the Jelf family and sold it through the normal legal channels to the council in the seventies. My reasons for not posting any further articles were because I am quite reticent about public forums and because I was not prepared for the amount of interest it created. I still read the forum on a regular basis and view the posts with great interest.

Hi Astonian
Just for the record. I am the flowershopgirl and as can be verified from land registry records, my parents did in fact purchase the property on Lichfield Road from a member of the Jelf family and sold it through the normal legal channels to the council in the seventies. My reasons for not posting any further articles were because I am quite reticent about public forums and because I was not prepared for the amount of interest it created. I still read the forum on a regular basis and view the posts with great interest.

Back