• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

hi Lyn. If my memory serves me well,I think your aunt's house was opposite the chippy. I think an irish couple ran it. I used to go to the park too. My memory is not as good as it used to be, but if I can remember, there was a park opposite the bus garage in miller street. I think it was known as bloomsbury street park. (it could be I am thinking of another park in aston, as there was so many I used to go to with my brothers).
Hello Lynn. I suspect our paths must have crossed at some point during our time living there & playing in the park. It is a great pity we never had the forethought that we would have the internet, nor wonderful websites like this. I was a bit of a loner when I was young (unfortunately). Plus, far too many years have passed by for me to remember people's faces. If only I could remember what a few children of our time there looked like.

Good news everyone, I've made contact with the Norton bikes club. We are trying to bring back the original plaque and put it where it belongs! Will keep you all posted :)
That is fantastic news Sandhu. A massive thank you for managing to contact them. Will certainly keep a look out for updates.

Good news everyone, I've made contact with the Norton bikes club. We are trying to bring back the original plaque and put it where it belongs! Will keep you all posted :)

brilliant news sandhu a big thank you from me too....please keep us posted as i am sure that if successful someone from the forum will be down to take photos of the plaque back where it belongs again :)

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Dave. The middle photo is of Benton & Stones (enots). I remember it as my dad used to work there on the night shift. Me & my 2 brothers & my mom went with my dad to their christmas party one year. (can not remember the year). We had our photo's taken, but sadly, we lost them.I think I was about 10. That makes it roughly 55 years ago.
Managed to get a copy of one photo of me & my 2 brothers as we went to the Enots christmas party. Who the 2 lads on the left of us, I can not remember.I am on the far right.

Attachments

• Me,Arthur & Paul at Enots..jpg
    Me,Arthur & Paul at Enots..jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi everyone, just had a meeting with Norton club regarding plaque. They have a AGM meeting in 2 weeks and will put forward the propsal of having the plaque back at Bracebridge. They can't see there being problem in doing so

Hi everyone, just had a meeting with Norton club regarding plaque. They have a AGM meeting in 2 weeks and will put forward the propsal of having the plaque back at Bracebridge. They can't see there being problem in doing so
Hello Sandhu. That is fantastic news. I will certainly be keeping everything crossed. When the weather improves, I will certainly be paying a lovely visit to the area. I have not been down that way for a lot of years & I think it is about time I did.

Hello Sandhu. That is fantastic news. I will certainly be keeping everything crossed. When the weather improves, I will certainly be paying a lovely visit to the area. I have not been down that way for a lot of years & I think it is about time I did.

Hi Michael your more than welcome to come anytime, I'm based at number 87

Hi Michael your more than welcome to come anytime, I'm based at number 87
hopefully, the weather improves over the next few weeks, so that I can come down. It will be so lovely to meet up with the one person who has saved a part of the aston history.

Hi There. I'm just looking through a LOT of photographs and documents which we left to my hubby. His grand-parents lived at 195 Bracebridge Street along with his mother who bought a shop on Newtown Row from Mr W Richards on 8/8/1930 for £70d. Anyway, his name was Arthur Keough. His father's was Herbert Keough and was a policeman and his father was Edward Keough, born in Ireland but ended up as Principal Warder at Winson Green Prison! I just thought I'd post in case anyone remembered the name. They still lived there in 1954 but I'm not entirely sure when they left.

hopefully, the weather improves over the next few weeks, so that I can come down. It will be so lovely to meet up with the one person who has saved a part of the aston history.

totally agree with you michael...sandu as soon as i am able i should also like to pop down to bracebridge st to say a personal thank you for hopefully getting the norton plaque reinstated in its rightful place..please keep us informed

lyn

Hi There, I've come across some photographs from Coronation Day 1953 on what I believe is Bracebridge Street (please correct me if I'm wrong) I know The Keough's lived at number 195 and that they were still there at this time as I have addressed letters.

Attachments

• Scan6_0001 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0001 (2).jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Scan6_0002 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0002 (2).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Scan6_0003 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0003 (2).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Scan6_0004 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0004 (2).jpg
    159 KB · Views: 70
  • Scan6_0006 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0006 (2).jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Scan6_0005 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0005 (2).jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Scan6_0007 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0007 (2).jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Scan6_0008 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0008 (2).jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Scan6_0009 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0009 (2).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Scan6_0010 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0010 (2).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Scan6_0011 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0011 (2).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Scan6_0012 (2).jpg
    Scan6_0012 (2).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 69
every so often along come another batch of old photos that makes my heart pound...what wonderful photos and yes i would say they are of bracebridge st..i think we have one or two members who could confirm this but i am pretty certain they are bracebridge st houses and a couple of factories.....thank you so much smartsavage for sharing them with us it just goes to show that what i always say is true...they are out there somewhere waiting to be unearthed...:)

lyn

Last edited:
Back