• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Fireman Tozer, son of Chief Officer Tozer, youths being recruited to do the work of men who had signed up in WW1. Not sure which station this would have been in 1916. Viv.

image.jpeg

Another Lingard Street station photo. Think its the same Jack Russell as in earlier post #33. Maybe it's the same firemen too ! Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    796.4 KB · Views: 8
Fireman Tozer, son of Chief Officer Tozer, youths being recruited to do the work of men who had signed up in WW1. Not sure which station this would have been in 1916. Viv.

View attachment 124142

This Bob Tozer was a good friend of my father's, certainly from the age of 10 or 11 and possibly they were at King Edward's together. From a photo I have it looks as though Bob later volunteered for military service and he appears very smartly garbed in what appears to be an officer cadet uniform. He went back to the family firm later and served right through to the unfortunate events of 1940/41 when the Tozer family relinquished control of the City Fire Brigade - and perhaps beyond, after having been demoted. I think he was in charge of the effort to fight the disastrous fire in the K.E. temporary accommodation at Edgbaston in 1936. (The School had moved there whilst the permanent buildings were still under construction - its original home in New Street having been deemed an unacceptable fire risk!)

I have posted the cadet image previously elsewhere in the Forum (in a dedicated Tozer thread), and also a few others of Bob in my collection. It looks as though they have partly repeated within this thread as well.

Chris

My fire station story came from my mother, she worked at the 'Apex', some might know of it.
On the way to work she got off the bus opposite Perry Bar fire station and started to walk towards the factory then saw that it was well on fire, she turned and ran into the fire station yelling "The Apex is on fire." one of the guys said "It's ok missus we'll deal with it." and off they went.

I can remember going to Brum central fire station to do my fireman’s badge while in the girl guides,I still have the badge,must have been late 50’s early 60’s, Happy Days

I can remember going to Brum central fire station to do my fireman’s badge while in the girl guides,I still have the badge,must have been late 50’s early 60’s, Happy Days

Jeanie I hope your experience there was a lot dryer than mine , that was late 50's I was in St John Ambulance doing my fire fighting proficiency . I was standing at the end of the house male and female coupling not connected properly by myself soaked I was .

Jeanie I hope your experience there was a lot dryer than mine , that was late 50's I was in St John Ambulance doing my fire fighting proficiency . I was standing at the end of the house male and female coupling not connected properly by myself soaked I was .
Lol oh dear, still a great memory though

Known as learning by experience. :grinning:

Hi All, I’ve been looking at my family history and I’ve been told my Great Great Grandad Walter Starkey was in the fire service possibly around 1901-1911. Are there any records I can view to see where he served?

Family members have said his Fire Service helmet and Axe were once on display at Blakesly Hall (Yardley) along with a picture of him standing next to a horse drawn engine.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

I can only speak for the Brigade I served with, but as far as I know it was a long standing tradition, on retirement, to present long serving fire-fighters with an axe mounted on a board with the dates of his service. A helmet is unusual but might suggest a high rank - or simply a small town brigade. After WW2 fire services were amalgamated in to County rather than small towns brigades. Places like Birmingham had a city brigade. The period you mention is interesting in so far as Yardley, was until 1911, apparently in Worcestershire. Becoming part of Birmingham and consequently Warwickshire, in 1911.
Axes are not part of modern date kit issue.

I can only speak for the Brigade I served with, but as far as I know it was a long standing tradition, on retirement, to present long serving fire-fighters with an axe mounted on a board with the dates of his service. A helmet is unusual but might suggest a high rank - or simply a small town brigade. After WW2 fire services were amalgamated in to County rather than small towns brigades. Places like Birmingham had a city brigade. The period you mention is interesting in so far as Yardley, was until 1911, apparently in Worcestershire. Becoming part of Birmingham and consequently Warwickshire, in 1911.
Axes are not part of modern date kit issue.

Hi Radiorails,

I was a probationary fireman at Birmingham Central in the 1970's, a job I really enjoyed & one I looked forward to making my career in, except for the Station Officer at the time who made everyone's life unbearable from keen lads like myself to seasoned servicemen (Ex Army & Royal Navy). Needless to say, despite experienced firefighters trying to persuade me to ride out the storm, I'd had it with him. I wasn't about to remain there whilst he was in command as I wasn't allowed to complete my training at an alternative station. Consequently, and very reluctantly I was left with no choice but, to resign. A sad ending to what may have been an enjoyable career.

Lozellian

Lozellian, What a terrible tale of your experience in the Brigade. If you could have stuck it out and completed your probation the rewards would have been more that worth it. Things must have been bad to resign which in my experience is a very rare occurrance and a last resort. What year and watch was this if you don't mind me asking.

I agree with Aggies summary, Lozellian. A pity things worked out that way, but that, sadly, is how it goes for some folks. I recall my early days when an ebullient Sub.O, who owned a construction business, treated all as if we were labourers.
I came close to throwing the towel in but I realized he had only a few years in the service whereas I would be there long after he had gone which did encourage me. Actually things came to a head one evening and I told him where he could stick his fire service amongst other things. Strangely after that we got on well and he approved encouraged and approved my promotion.

Radiorails. It would be interesting to repost these experiences on the WMFS retired and serving fire fighters network to see what they think. Are you a member by any chance?

Lozellian, What a terrible tale of your experience in the Brigade. If you could have stuck it out and completed your probation the rewards would have been more that worth it. Things must have been bad to resign which in my experience is a very rare occurrance and a last resort. What year and watch was this if you don't mind me asking.

Hi aggie2347,

Yes you're right in what you say but, when you're faced with a situation like that somethings got to give, such a pity but, hey ho life goes on & you just put it down to experience. The year if memory serves was 1972 but, believe it or not I don't recall the watch.

Lozellian.

Hi Radiorails,

I was a probationary fireman at Birmingham Central in the 1970's, a job I really enjoyed & one I looked forward to making my career in, except for the Station Officer at the time who made everyone's life unbearable from keen lads like myself to seasoned servicemen (Ex Army & Royal Navy). Needless to say, despite experienced firefighters trying to persuade me to ride out the storm, I'd had it with him. I wasn't about to remain there whilst he was in command as I wasn't allowed to complete my training at an alternative station. Consequently, and very reluctantly I was left with no choice but, to resign. A sad ending to what may have been an enjoyable career.

Lozellian
I find this quite sad. I was serving at Central from the very early 70's to the mid 70's before transferring closer to my home. I would have been there during your probationer time and may well have known you, It is certainly true that there were a few martinet Station Officers and Sub Officers but they were rare. I joined the Fire Service after leaving the Forces and possibly found it easier to let the antics of those types just wash over me. Looking back, I believe that I was in the best job in the world just complicated by the odd idiots in positions of authority.

I find this quite sad. I was serving at Central from the very early 70's to the mid 70's before transferring closer to my home. I would have been there during your probationer time and may well have known you, It is certainly true that there were a few martinet Station Officers and Sub Officers but they were rare. I joined the Fire Service after leaving the Forces and possibly found it easier to let the antics of those types just wash over me. Looking back, I believe that I was in the best job in the world just complicated by the odd idiots in positions of authority.

Hiya mate,

Know what you mean mate and what you say is bang on it's down to the "numptys in power" as usual but, those people are the ones holding responsible positions and as such supposed to guide & nurture you in your career. I was in the service with two or three ex servicemen who knew the importance of discipline especially given the nature of the job but even they resigned and re-enlisted in their relevant services; to my mind that says it all.

Lozellian.

SOB do you remember a firefighter named Alan Carr ?

White Watch A1 Central 1962 yours truly 4th from the left back row. It was my privilege to serve on this watch for 6 years with great characters who played hard, but when the bells went down they were true professionals dedicated to saving lives, stopping the spread of fire and looking out for each other in the most trying situations. Unfortunately, 17 out of the 25 are no longer with us. I remember them all with great affection RIP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190403-204708.jpg
    Screenshot_20190403-204708.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Back