• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J R Gaunt of Birmingham

UPINSMOKE

Encased Farthing Collector
Hi, This is my first post.
I am a collector of Encased Farthings and am trying to find out as much information about the Company of J.R.Gaunt of Birmingham and the manufacture of Encased Farthings. I know they produced these as advertising pieces for different companies or establishments one being Hooper Struve’s and there were others as well each piece has the letters J.R.G. embossed on then. Also, there was Advertising on one side and with usually “Keep Me And You Will Never Be Broke” on the other. These were made of an aluminum surround with a Farthing pressed into the middle of the surround. You can view my website below to see pictures of the items in question under Encased Farthings.

https://upinsmokecoincollecting.com/encased-farthings/farthings-misc/

I was hoping that someone may have something in reference to these, either old sales catalogues, advertising like newspaper cuttings etc. Or perhaps you may have other information on the manufacture of these items pictures etc. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Or any information of someone who I could contact to help my research further.

I do hope you may be able to help me.

Attachments

• 1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Speedwell Gear Case Co Obv.jpg
    1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Speedwell Gear Case Co Obv.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Speedwell Gear Case Col Rev.jpg
    1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Speedwell Gear Case Col Rev.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 8
Apparently they were next to The Birmingham Mint and taken over by them in 1973:
From Kellys 1971:
Gaunt J. R. & Son Ltd,manufacturers of badges & nameplates;also metal trims & buttons & pressings,
Warstone Parade works, Birmingham 18 (Tel 021-236 4362; T A Clasps) & Tweedale Industrial Estate, Madeley, Telford, Salop. Bawley 6171

Attachments

• Birm post.7.6.1973.pdf
    468.1 KB · Views: 11

Advert from January 1973, Birmingham Daily Post

According to Grace's Guide RJ Gaunt and Son are a very old firm established in 1750. It may have been in 1894 that they removed from 33 Cliford St to the larger premises in Warstones Parade.

Chas F Gaunt was an alderman who died 1932, living Augustus Rd Edgbaston.

The suggestion that they were adjacent to The Mint could refer to the Warstone Button Works, in Warstone Lane shown on the map.
Two possibilities maybe. That place was also part of the company or it was a different company.

Alan
I think the newspaper was being a bit loose in its description of adjacent to. The entry from Kellys states that Gaunt's were at the Warstone Parade Works, which are so-named on the map. The Warstone button works, (Buttons Ltd, 117 Warstone Lane) disappeared fron Kellys between the 1961 & 1962 editions, and the map marked 1969-76 shows the area as part of the mint.

The address given in 1940 and before is 9 Warstone Parade East and on the west side. In the map we see the rear of the works backing on to Pemberton Street.

Hi everyone I would like to thank you all for the help you have given me so far it's much appreciated. To narrow things down a bit its anything to do with the manufacture of the Encased Farthings I am after. Advertising catalogs depicting pictures of these and prices. I have tried to inquire with the Birmingham Libraries only to be told I would need to visit to do research unfortunatly I am too far away to do this. So if anyone is visiting the libraries or lives close I would appreciate any help with any research into these advertising coins.

I do appreciate all the help you can give me with anything that is relevant to this firm.

I have recently aquired another Encased Farthing advertising H.B.Sale of Birmingham pictures attached any help with information on this company would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• H.B.Sale Ltd Birmingham Encased Farthing 1937 Obv.jpg
    H.B.Sale Ltd Birmingham Encased Farthing 1937 Obv.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2
  • H.B.Sale Ltd Birmingham Encased Farthing 1937 Rev.jpg
    H.B.Sale Ltd Birmingham Encased Farthing 1937 Rev.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2
From 1967 Kellys
Sale H. B. Ltd. die makers, stampers, engravers & name plate mfrs. 393 Summer la 19. T A " Sale " ; Central 5661 (3 lines)
This is shown on the c1951 map below

But there was also a (presumably ) associated firm
Sale H. B. (Moulds) Itd. 'injection, compression & transfer moulds. Unit 11A , Wincaster Factory Estate, Aston Brook st 6. 021-359 4022. This was still going in 1973, but the Summer lane factory seems to have disappeared around 1971

I vaguely remember Pemberton Street being cut much later than the nearby roads, but can’t remember where it was discussed on the Forum. Viv.

I vaguely remember Pemberton Street being cut much later than the nearby roads, but can’t remember where it was discussed on the Forum. Viv.
There is a thread about Pemberton Street. but it does not seem to answer your question Vivienne.
Having read the thread, and seen the 'passion killers' in Post 1 and read the subsequent posts, maybe the street - if it is still there - should be renamed Bloomer Street! :laughing:

Came upon this whilst browsing the internet. It may be of some interest to this thread.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0191/lot-403ac322-bb76-4228-952f-aad500a826e9.
I then found this regarding the origin of the firm and it's location.

Thank you so much for your help much appreciated this will be useful. I am still searching for any documentation on the production of Encased Farthings produced at J.R.Gaunt Factory either sales catalogues or from anyone who used to work there and helped to make these Items.

Back