• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bracebridge Street

hi michael took me a bit of time to locate the missing bracebridge st photos....found them on my desk top files so i will re post them on this thread tonight or before if i get the time....

lyn

hi michael took me a bit of time to locate the missing bracebridge st photos....found them on my desk top files so i will re post them on this thread tonight or before if i get the time....

lyn
Thank you lyn. Will look forward to seeing them. I have managed to track down some one whom I used to live near me & also worked with me when I moved to Waterworks street. Regards. michael.

michael post 242 photo 2 shows houses 2 to 38 so it looks as though your house at no 20 has gone

lyn
thank you Lyn. It certainly looks like my family home has gone. At least I can remember how my home looked, from how the others that are left looked. I remember now, that your aunties house was much further down the road from mine. Fantastic photo's. A massive thank you for showing them.

Thank you Lyn. I will have to get my brain working now as I was very young when we left to move to waterworks street & have forgotten a lot from those days. I am sure something will soon jog my memory.
Having looked at the photo's Lyn, I noticed that in attachment 132082, part of the front of the chippy I used to go in is visible., (next to the tv repair shop, which I also remember).I loved going to that chippy.Loved having my chips wrapped in newspaper.The chips tasted so much better than they do nowadays. Maybe it was because of the newspaper. I can sort of remember where our house was now. on the same photo, our house was opposite where the white car is just up from the outdoor. Used to go in there too, to fetch a jug of beer for my dad.

glad the photos have nudged the memory michael....its amazing how they can transport us back this is why i think the old photos are very important... :)

ln lyn
I could not agree more Lyn.The old photo's are very important to us, as our towns ect keep being changed. Without these photo's, everything would be lost. I had completely forgotten my past, but thanks to this forum, all my happy memories have come back. It is a pity that history is not taught in the schools as it was in our day. Give me those days any time.

My grandparents lived in New John Street, and we always knew Walmer Park, as Blews Street Park, hardly a blade of grass or tree in there. In the war there was a large barrage balloon tethered there.

My grandparents lived in New John Street, and we always knew Walmer Park, as Blews Street Park, hardly a blade of grass or tree in there. In the war there was a large barrage balloon tethered there.
Just a large gravel area...swings, witches hat, pump...not sure what else. Lots of scraped elbows and knees.
Dave A

hi sylvia totally agree with you about old photos being an important part of our history...yes i have heard people call it blews st park but if i remember correctly it was called walmer recreation ground after walmer lane which later became new town row/high st..the park is all built on now...industrial units :(

lyn

Last edited:
hi sylvia totally agree with you about old photos being an important part of our history...yes i have heard people call it blews st park but if i remember correctly it was called walmer recreation ground after walmer lane which later became new town row/high st..the park is all built on now...industrial units :(

lyn
i remember it as blew st park. only busted swings an a old building we climbed on.

Just a large gravel area...swings, witches hat, pump...not sure what else. Lots of scraped elbows and knees.
Dave A
thank you Sylvia. I knew I had a feeling about the park name. I got it mixed up with bloomsbury street. Blews street is how I remember it. Not much of a park really, but plenty of fun was always had by all of us, as I seem to remember.

for those interested there is a thread for walmer rec with info and a couple of photos and map..link below

The middle picture...is that Benton & Stone?
Dave A
Hi Dave. The middle photo is of Benton & Stones (enots). I remember it as my dad used to work there on the night shift. Me & my 2 brothers & my mom went with my dad to their christmas party one year. (can not remember the year). We had our photo's taken, but sadly, we lost them.I think I was about 10. That makes it roughly 55 years ago.

Back