• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

That looks like rectangular cast iron rainwater downpipe to me, let into the brickwork. Often seen of rainwater pipe adjacent to pavements. It most likely ran under the blue brick paving’s in a cast iron duct to the kerb.
Yes, in the pic in #5368 near the top of the building the slot can be seen in the wall and a length of the rectangular pipe on the pavement leans against the wall. I presume the landlord owns that nice car .... :)

1550911203491.pngRe-building Buckfast Abbey - during the 1920's - using timber supports and scaffold.
I am not sure when timber fell out of favour in the UK - I suspect timber was used during ww2 as steel was required for other purposes. The Far East still uses bamboo poles as scaffold.

Alan,

Spain still used bamboo scaffolding in 1969. On a business visit to Alicante in July of that year, I was horrified to see it, tied together with ropes, on a four storey building. There are still some dodgy practices here on Crete, though there are very few buildings taller than three storeys as it is an earthquake zone. But it doesn't stoop as far as bamboo scaffolding. Quite often it is two or three metal towers with loose timber planks bridging the gaps between them. Many ladders are made on site with a couple of lengths of 2 x 2 with short lengths of 2 x 1 nailed on to form the rungs.

I remember shortly after we arrived standing in a queue to get our medical care authorised and the guy in front was an Albanian with his arm in plaster and his head bandaged. When I asked him what had happened, he said simply "I fell off a building" !! :)

Maurice

As an apprentice in the construction industry in the early 70’s I did some wooden scaffolding at college, just to learn how it was done. It was certainly out of use in the main industry by then.

This could be part of the demo job, 3 to 7 in No1 Court Bishopsgate Street.

It looks as this back terrace was part of the scheme that opened up some of worst back terraces in the early 1900's. They would demolish a house or pair of houses to the front of the terrace to let the air and light in and then renovate the premises and plumb water into each house instead of a central standpipe in the middle of the yard. Scaffolding of any sort wouldn't have been used for demolition on a site such as this in those days, it was obviously being used for renovation works.

pic on post 5365 and 5368 are of the same location..what i cant work out is what came first...the blocking up of the entrance to the court yard or the unblocking of it..no dates on the photos

lyn

This is the map from around 1915 and the Kelly's entry. Moving from Communication Row towards Wallis and his shop at
N°14 there is Bishopsgate Terrace.The Nos 5 to 10 occupied by the leather manufactory. So it looks like No 12 is sacrificed?

C1271AE7-2852-4A0E-AA83-4280C7630A53.jpeg7100A1D3-D007-4471-A903-5E8F45927C09.jpeg

Shoothill have this pic tagged as 8, Birchall Street. It looks like a large courtyard with at least 8 houses per side some with window shutters closed in daytime.
View attachment 131994
In September 1881 a chap from 8 Court, 13 House was one of 21 committed for trial for being caught at a prize fight. Details on the Interesting stories Thread...Post 23

Last edited:
hi lynn
thanks for the memories ; its a pity you neverwent afew yards back you woud have captured the old lollipop man
that crossed us over to the main sweet shop for all us kids that attendeded upper thomas street school
which incidently was only afew doors away ; that cafe was fairly new it was not around until later years if i remember correctly
our little tuck shop was always banged packed with us kids hope you do not mind me asking whom was your relies
as most of us natives at that school in hose days remember and knewmost kids and there familes
you never know we may know them great pics keep them coming astonian; alan
Hi Lynn thankyou for the Clifton road pic, I used to live in Clifton road, between the printers and the shop we moved there from Defford road, we moved from there to Kingstanding. wish there were more pics of Clifton road, bye jose

hello jose another of our members also lived in defford road...i was able to find some old photos which i have posted on the defford road thread that may interest you...click on the link below

lyn

Shoothill have these houses numbered 130 to 135 Great Brook Street but I'm not sure which one was 130.
existing forum image only visible if logged in.
index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/post-639941

In 1932 someone photographed No 81 Great Brook Street showing some impressive houses quite different to those in the above photo although at least 30 years separated the dates of the photos. Nice car also.

Last edited:
Taking Shoothill at their word, and the 1905 Kelly Directory as a guide, the North side numbers in Great Brook Street are 77 to 165. Numbers 131 to 156 are given between Windsor Street to Lawley Street. (131 being corner with Windsor St, but 130 is not mentioned).

In 1950 the house on the corner of gt brook st and windsor st were gone, but you can see from the numbering that the numbering on the photo went up going right to left, so 300 would have been on the corner

So numbers were reducing towards the east and 81 may have been one of those wider houses on the right of the map in #5390. An entry gate is seen by the car in the pic in #5387 and a passage through to Ashted Row is shown on the map.

The pic below (date 1932) shows the occupants and visitor in the front door of No 81, perhaps, from records, they can be named.
shoothill

Last edited:
In 1930 the electoral roll shows occupants of no 81 as Herbert & Beatrice Godfrey, Albert & Gladys Martin and John & Nellie Young, while in 1935 it was Herbert & Beatrice Godfrey, Winifred Carter, Bernard Banks, and Emily May Cross

Many occupants but I suppose it was a large house. Interesting how some windows are apparently bricked-up. I know there was a window tax in earlier times but repealed in 1851.

Many occupants but I suppose it was a large house. Interesting how some windows are apparently bricked-up. I know there was a window tax in earlier times but repealed in 1851.

This is a classily designed house, architects would often add blank windows to bring about a sense of balance. Sometimes they even painted the sash stiles, heads and glazing bars in white on a black background.

The Army and Navy Pub was 128/129 Great Brook Street in 1940 . In 1911 the licence was an Albert Walters. Across the road at Number 130 was a Mr Wells. The house had gone by 1937.

Just behind the photographer was the Barracks and in 1933 the site was being used for new housing. Some of the new tenants were lost for words, but it seems that others were reluctant to move to them "new-fangled things."

"The change over from New Summer Street to Great Brook Street is one of their most interesting experiments."

23C408CD-81F7-4098-8A39-C25738AE6022.jpeg

The Army and Navy Pub was 128/129 Great Brook Street in 1940 . In 1911 the licence was an Albert Walters. Across the road at Number 130 was a Mr Wells. The house had gone by 1937.

Just behind the photographer was the Barracks and in 1933 the site was being used for new housing. Some of the new tenants were lost for words, but it seems that others were reluctant to move to them "new-fangled things."

"The change over from New Summer Street to Great Brook Street is one of their most interesting experiments."

View attachment 132298
With reference to the newspaper article the following pic might be relevant. I had previously put it in another thread
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/post-639941
Aerial view dated 1933 only visible if logged in
index.php

This is a classily designed house, architects would often add blank windows to bring about a sense of balance. Sometimes they even painted the sash stiles, heads and glazing bars in white on a black background.
Very fine looking Regency style places, maybe a staircase lay behind the blind windows. If these places still existed, probably they do not, they would have been renovated and be in a conservation area.

Back