• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Park Lane...Aston

Lyn......I have to agree with Empty, who I know lived there at the time it was modernised ....It wasn't knocked down, it wasn't on the opposite side of the road, all the Kelly's directories I have, address it on the odd numbers side of ParkLane..... I am sorry to say Alan is incorrect.....

getting more confused by the day john..i dont have a problem with its location so can i just ask where is the original shareholders pub now ??

lyn

The Shareholders was number 25 Park Lane, was when it was first built and it was until the 1970's when the change the course of the lane from in front of the pub to the rear....the pub as always stood in the same place....

Sorry Lyn.....It still standing on Park Close, it the building you posted on the google earth photo....Its no longer used as a pub I have been informed, but as a warehouse....

john so are you telling me that the photo of the original shareholders i posted on post 160 and also the street view of the replacement one are one and the same pub...they look nothing like each other to me..i am afraid my confusement comes from empty telling us that the original shareholders was NOT demolished

lyn

It is Lyn.....It had a new outside built and inners, member Empty was living there during the modernisation .....

This photo is of the shelves of Keights bicycle shop at 143 Park Lane, the shop belonged to my uncle but as he worked at Cincinatti during the day his aunt (Gladys Keight) who was in her 70s would tend the shop. I don't know how he ever made any profit because my great aunt was well known for letting the children have bits and pieces if they didn't have enough money, in keeping with the true brummy spirit.
The brand Ever Ready featured very highly and not just for batteries, the Mettoy box contained solder wire at 6d, I still have several of these in my garage even now.
As usual I apologise for the poor quality of the image which was taken with a very basic camera, I know several forum members used to use the shop and thought it may trigger some happy memories. John

Attachments

• shop at 143 park lane.jpg
    shop at 143 park lane.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
Ref post 167....It has indeed bought back a few memories...puncture outfits, bicycle pumps, tyres, air rife pellets, almost anything you needed Keights had it....I can remember buying light bulbs, Mrs Keight would test it first by using a socket on the counter...., there was no protected window guard of the shop window either which was I think was almost the full width of the shop front and about six foot high which showed array of all the items they kept....

View attachment 89377

im too young as well aston lad lol...no idea when this new pub was built but this photo of it was taken in 1969...will get in touch with someone who knows far more than i do about it and try to find out...

lyn
That is how I remember the shareholders pub. Too young to remember it before it was changed. The hoardings on the opposite side of the road was where my grand parents lived. Had to go up a long path to get to the front door. If my memory serves me well, I think the pub was like this in 1960. Grand parents passed away in 1965 & it was like this then.

Here is the shareholders arms in red

map_c_1889_showing_shareholders_arms__Park_lane.jpg
That is a great map. It is clearly how I remember the area. The house I live at was the 4th house up on the map on the left.the 3rd property up was a chip shop.

Last edited:
Carl and all, Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful photo's. I have never seen the Park Lane looking just like I remember it. I often thought of taking up drawing lessons to try and capture my memory of the old street but you lot have brought it to life again today. See Dr O Massey's surgery in the photo. He was our family doctor in Aston and later he and his son Paul was our family doctor up to the 1970's. Paul became the physio for the villa team I heard. He was also the company doctor for the Birmingham Post & Mail Group. Dr Ogilivy's practice moved to Hawthorn Rd Erdington / Kingstanding border when Park Lane was knocked down.
Your photos show my old house No 100 its the one where the person is sitting on the step i think? Everything looks smaller though. As a kid Park lane seemed to go on forever. Of course there were so many more houses up the entry's. Up to 5 or 6 houses were set at right angles to the street and went up the hill till they backed on to the yards in the next street. I knew the Pinkertons especially Wendy. She was a friend of my friend Patsy. Wendy and Patsy were a couple of years older than me but that was very important when your 9 and they were 12 or so.
Doctor Massey was my doctor when I lived in Potters lane. From what I can remember, He was brilliant with us children

Hi ray ;
i think where you said the pic was taken in park lane if you are correct and i am not sure it was the pub
they was taking the pic towards the cross but if it was then that pub was called the black horse and not the royal george
as that was on the cross next top hp sauce ; yes there was another one a little one thats escaped my mind but it was next door to old wrensons te grocers and down on the right hand of the pic was a vechicle and that was where my grand parents bussiness was three in a line one coffee shop and a chippie and the drive to the rear premises of jelfs grocery hire and banqueting services
they provided by contract the cateruring and food services to all the city council house meeting and partis and also the old gpo in hill street offices what ever they had there is a simlar pic ;to this with a mini van park out side the shopsloading up this was was changied when our mystry person whom knows who they are hacked all the pics of our valuabe sight ; for what reasons i do not know
but eventualythis will come to light one day in the not so distance to come
it was either fifty five or fifty six when lathams bought from grand father he sold the main quartes in new cannal street nd moved back to park lane back to his rootes along with the one lathams bought from him also another one along the lichfield rd by the vinepub all with about 12 months apart with his lady companion ; this was the shop that flower girl said she grew up in
along time ago when she said it was bought from ivy his sster but thats not the case she short changed her brother my grand father
we lived along the rd from both premises and he came along and told my mother what he had done and that he had sold the lichfield rd to a friend of the family and he said no more about it because him and his sister fell out over it and never spokein forty years
to each other he still had the catering bussiness up to the 1970s when he died
if you look t the picture on the right hand side the first shop was a paper shop
and where you see a figure of a lady on the rd thats where our other forum member wattons parents had there shop and
when grand dad sold the business wattons parents opened it up as a coffee shop for the atv stars to come and get a sandwiches ;
best wishes as always astonian
thank you alan.

michael not sure if you have seen this photo before...pretty sure your old house is visible

lyn

View attachment 131995
Thank you Astoness. Not seen that photo before. From what I can remember, my house was the one by the woman & child. It's been around 55 years since I was living down there, so is hard to remember. I think the chippy was where the gritting bin is. Thank you for the photo Astoness.

Michael, my friend George Bailey, lived very close to your location...
Dave A
Michael, my friend George Bailey, lived very close to your location...
Dave A
Hello Dave. Unfortunately,I do not remember any of the people who lived near me. I was too young to remember when I moved to Bracebridge Street. It is a pity my parents are not still around as they would surely have remembered.

Thank you Astoness. Not seen that photo before. From what I can remember, my house was the one by the woman & child. It's been around 55 years since I was living down there, so is hard to remember. I think the chippy was where the gritting bin is. Thank you for the photo Astoness.

happy to help...finding a photo of our old houses is something most of us strive to find and many of us including myself dont succeed so you are very lucky:)

lyn

happy to help...finding a photo of our old houses is something most of us strive to find and many of us including myself dont succeed so you are very lucky:)

lyn
Hello Lyn. I have just worked out which was my old house. I thought it was the one by the woman & child, but I was wrong. It was the one by the gritting bin. The chippy was next door going down towards the Bartons arm I only remembered as I was reminded of how big window was. My dad worked for BRS at the time.

Last edited:
Back