• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the acorn..wheeler street

The pic inside the acorn is the wilton street end Horace lawler is standing at the with a pint in his hand and the lady being served is Winnie Andrews . My nan Amy lawler sat at the other end of the bar.she had a big family 12 boys 1 girl and loads of grandchildren.when one of the family went for a drink there would be a drink put in band book she was always in credit.at the end of the bar was a serving hatch to an off lisence .if the police were looking one of the family for a chat they would see nan and she would send them up to the police station to see inspected pick.the police walked round in tapes or threes.Everyone felt safe the place was self policed.had my last drink in the acorn august 1964 got a posting to Malaya and Borneo

thanks for that info M.n.lawler we now have the names of everyone in that wonderful photo

lyn

The pic inside the acorn is the wilton street end Horace lawler is standing at the with a pint in his hand and the lady being served is Winnie Andrews . My nan Amy lawler sat at the other end of the bar.she had a big family 12 boys 1 girl and loads of grandchildren.when one of the family went for a drink there would be a drink put in band book she was always in credit.at the end of the bar was a serving hatch to an off lisence .if the police were looking one of the family for a chat they would see nan and she would send them up to the police station to see inspected pick.the police walked round in tapes or threes.Everyone felt safe the place was self policed.had my last drink in the acorn august 1964 got a posting to Malaya and Borneo
Are you Malcolm and was your dad named lesley

Back