• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

The big Birmingham companies always put something on for the children of their employees. I remember the Christmas party at GKN Hardy Spicer when my dad worked there.

Early 70s?
29695174_10214753930829170_4130179712557903788_n.jpg

Ansells brewery.

:D Hi 500 miles. What were your brother and fathers names?. My brothers is Albert Lyndon who was a checker and my husbands is Pete Smith who was on the brewing to begin with then on the dreys finishing off as chargehand in the warehouse at Gravelly Park. Bye for now. Jean.:D
Hi Jean, long time since we worked at Ansells, how is Pete these days, where I live there's only two other ex employees so we don't get to know the latest news and gossip. Regards.

Anne, the brewery in Lister Street/Holte Street was the Holte Brewery, near Gosta Green. My g.g. grandfather John Raybould was landlord there in the 1860s/1870s and my grandfather was born there in 1876.
i know this is not a ansells question sorry.i am off thread. 1549877140200.png
i remember Holte brewery place.. did they make beer there. and did it belong to the Holte family. aston hall/duddeston lot

Last edited:
Hi Steve, think you might remember my dad Joe learnihan , better known as (Mad Joe ).He worked at Ansells for over 30 years, his backman was Jimmy Kelly. Dad and Jim trained me up on the Drays,and I worked there for about 17 years and I'm sure we've worked together during my time there . When I started there I was backman for Ron Yates, I still see Ron from time to time, and its always good to catch up. Danny Baker was great to work with always giving me grief about the Villa. We sadly lost my dad last year aged 84 but he'd talk about Ansells for hours, always about the laughs he had with Johnny Flint Birdy, Benny Cashmore, and the Cook brothers, to name just a few. Dad never had anything bad to say about Ansells, just fond memories of good mates. On my first morning working there someone said when I walked in "oh my God it's Leo Sayer" i had a bit of a mullet back then, and the name struck. I'm known as Shiny nowadays the hairs long gone. I'll try and post some of the old photos from the brewery but bare with me as I'm not great at this kind of thing.

This week I purchased two copies of the Ansell's Argosy magazine. These seem to very elusive. It was a company magazine with lots of nice information and photographs, a bit like the M&B Deerstalker. Does anybody have any filed away in their attic? I would be willing to pay for any unwanted Argosy magazines - or maybe borrow them if anybody has them but does not wish to part with them.

It would seem that these magazines were binned like the vast majority of the Ansell's records and paperwork. Only fragments survive. It would seem that all the building plans and most of the photographs were lost.

Hi Steve, think you might remember my dad Joe learnihan , better known as (Mad Joe ).He worked at Ansells for over 30 years, his backman was Jimmy Kelly. Dad and Jim trained me up on the Drays,and I worked there for about 17 years and I'm sure we've worked together during my time there . When I started there I was backman for Ron Yates, I still see Ron from time to time, and its always good to catch up. Danny Baker was great to work with always giving me grief about the Villa. We sadly lost my dad last year aged 84 but he'd talk about Ansells for hours, always about the laughs he had with Johnny Flint Birdy, Benny Cashmore, and the Cook brothers, to name just a few. Dad never had anything bad to say about Ansells, just fond memories of good mates. On my first morning working there someone said when I walked in "oh my God it's Leo Sayer" i had a bit of a mullet back then, and the name struck. I'm known as Shiny nowadays the hairs long gone. I'll try and post some of the old photos from the brewery but bare with me as I'm not great at this kind of thing.
Hi, can't remember your first name but I remember your dad very well and his mate Pete, He was before Jimmy Kelly. I remember all the names you mentioned especially Baker, he's just left my house five minutes ago. It's been twenty years since I was at Ansells and like you my dad and two brothers worked there, I loved the job.
How is Ronnie by the way, I knew his two uncles, Barry was a good friend we worked together most Saturdays in 1969- up to 1974, I moved to Aldridge and him Aston. I just remembered your name MARTIN and I think it was Baker who named you Leo. Nice to hear from you take care Steve Hanson.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Photos of Ansells

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 36
This week I purchased two copies of the Ansell's Argosy magazine. These seem to very elusive. It was a company magazine with lots of nice information and photographs, a bit like the M&B Deerstalker. Does anybody have any filed away in their attic? I would be willing to pay for any unwanted Argosy magazines - or maybe borrow them if anybody has them but does not wish to part with them.

It would seem that these magazines were binned like the vast majority of the Ansell's records and paperwork. Only fragments survive. It would seem that all the building plans and most of the photographs were lost.
Hi, I have lots of them.

Last edited:
Hi, can't remember your first name but I remember your dad very well and his mate Pete, He was before Jimmy Kelly. I remember all the names you mentioned especially Baker, he's just left my house five minutes ago. It's been twenty years since I was at Ansells and like you my dad and two brothers worked there, one really funny incident I had with your dad was, I was working around Nuneaton one day with my backman Danny, when we arrived at one of our drops there was an Ansells dray parked outside, I told Danny to check the delivery note in case I got the wrong pub, we hadn't so we delivered the beer and went in to get the note signed and hopefully have a pint, who was propping the bar up was Joe and Pete, we had a pint each from the gaffer and just after two more pints came our way. I look over at these two at the other end of the bar, they were sniggering behind one hand, I didn't think any more of it till, I shouted over who is paying for the extra drinks, your dad replied (you are, iv just nicked two gas bombs off your wagon and give them to the gaffer). All in a day's work great, I loved the job.
How is Ronnie by the way, I knew his two uncles, Barry was a good friend we worked together most Saturdays in 1969- up to 1974, I moved to Aldridge and him Aston. I just remembered your name MARTIN and I think it was Baker who named you Leo. Nice to hear from you take care Steve Hanson.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi, yes it was originally owned by the Holt family also some pubs in Aston were built by them, not sure what year. Ansells bought them out along with their pubs. My dad was Transport forman there for a few years. Ken Hanson. If you walk around Aston Cross, and look up at some of the Victorian looking buildings you will see the name of (Holt) in the brickwork.
It was owned by the Fulford family - see https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/index.html#Holt-Brewery-Company
Note: although the company was bought by Ansell's the office continued to operate with a degree of autonomy.

Steve hanson and Kurt Kelly,

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    801.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image.png
    image.png
    602 KB · Views: 52
Will show this photo to Pete to see if he remembers you two. I am sure I have heard your names come up in conversation when chatting with my brother Albert Lyndon who was a checker at Ansells then moved to Aldridge and Gravelly Park depots as did Pete.

Will show this photo to Pete to see if he remembers you two. I am sure I have heard your names come up in conversation when chatting with my brother Albert Lyndon who was a checker at Ansells then moved to Aldridge and Gravelly Park depots as did Pete.
Hi, i think we have spoke in past, how is Pete and Albert these days. Can you pass this information on to Pete and Albert, Sadly Joe Lernihan (mad Joe) has passed away and John Welch (my back man at Aldridge Depot has had a triple bypass twelve months ago. Regards Steve.

Thanks Steve yes I remember speaking before now. Only yesterday did I have a chat to Albert and he is not too bad now. He suffered a stroke five months ago and is recovering from another cancer!!. Fourth time. Pete said sorry to hear about Joe and glad John is recovering from his triple bypass. Have some photos somewhere from the Aldridge locker room with a few of the workers.

Back