• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler Street lozells

what brill photo's I used to live facing the big church and remember Webster and Manors Garage - seeing these photos it only seems like yesterday that my Mom was sending me down there to fill the bottles for the oil heaters - but it was over 50yrs ago I can still see the little room it was kept in --- thanks for the memory xx

what brill photo's I used to live facing the big church and remember Webster and Manors Garage - seeing these photos it only seems like yesterday that my Mom was sending me down there to fill the bottles for the oil heaters - but it was over 50yrs ago I can still see the little room it was kept in --- thanks for the memory xx

hi beresford the power of the photo is amazing...so pleased they bought back memories for you.. there is nothing left of the old wheeler st now but i guess to you it will always be there just as it was..

all the best

lyn

Talking with my wife last night about the old area and what we used to get up to, I suddenly remembered the name of the surgery I used to go to from 1959 until 1967. Do any members remember Doctors Firth & Carolyn at the bottom of Wheeler St (where Great King St started). I'm sure that was their names but, funny thing is, I don't think I've thought about them in the last 50yrs and their names just popped into my head last night!

hi banjo i have posted this on the doctors thread i think but our family docs were also dr firth and dr carolan he was irish and firth i believe polish we used the gks surgery until it was demolished so a very good chance we could have been sitting next to each other in the waiting room:D..dont know what happened to dr firth but dr carolan moved to the new surgery in wheeler st and he continued to be our doctor until his retirement..our mom and dad took him a bottle of his special tipple down and a thank you card as did many of his patients

lyn

Last edited:
hi fortyfies and welcome to the forum....have you seen the pic on post 117 that i posted showing your mom valerie serving in the acorn..also shows my dad sitting down reading the newspaper..pic dated 10th of may 1959....i have also got a pic of the acorn pub if you want it..

lyn
hi fortyfies and welcome to the forum....have you seen the pic on post 117 that i posted showing your mom valerie serving in the acorn..also shows my dad sitting down reading the newspaper..pic dated 10th of may 1959....i have also got a pic of the acorn pub if you want it..

lyn
Who were the other two people in the pic was it Horace lawle r and women andrews

I lived at 4/59 wilton st my nan and a big family of lawyers she had 12 sons and 1 girl used the acorn . The man in the pic was Horace lawler and the lady was winne Andrews who lived in the same yard

Seeing this photo that Astoness posted in #206 reminds me of the chap who ran it around 1961-62. He had a little waxed moustache and always wore a checked coat and a pork-pie hat. His own car was a Morris Minor with lots of various car badges spread across the grill. Me and my friends were always looking around to see what was for sale but, apart from the occasional £25 'banger' we found that £75 and upwards was too expensive for us. 132158

Hi. Just joined and trying to work out how to view pictures for Wheeler Street? Any help would be appreciated. I'm not tech savvy shall we say!

hi paul and welcome you need to use the search box top right of the page...put in wheeler street as we already have a very long thread in the streets and nieghbours section of the forum for this st with loads of old photos on it...when you have found it just let me know and i will delete this thread

enjoy the forum

lyn

New here, just telling my mum about this site, she lived at 165 Wheeler St, but left around 1965. Her name was Jean Markland, brother called Michael.

Back