• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Digbeth

Anyone know when the June Dairy was demolished. The photo looks like a complete redevelopment of the area in the 1960's. But my recollection from the 1980's is of no June Dairy being there and just paved area over looking the outdoor markets looking towards St Martins church. June Dairy looks like a listed building in that photo, but why survive the redevelopment and then be demolished before the whole area was again redevelopment in 2002. Is my memory flawed?

The Leathern Bottle, and possibly the Three Crowns (?) next door. No date for this one. Viv.

Viv

As you thought the Old Leather Bottle and the Three Crowns were adjacent to each other as shown in this photo. As for dates I believe the Old Leather bottle didn't manage to make it into the 20th century, whilst the Three Crowns just about made it.

The Old Leather Bottle & Three Crown, High Street Deritend[1].JPG

I have attempted to condense Digbeth into one page at https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/digbeth/ - it only deals with Digbeth, not Deritend High Street. I am sure there will be something of interest to most folks.

hi kieron will have to get my notes out later as i have at least 2 digbeth pubs with a family connection..the old guy being one which i believe was famous for its freak shows the other one used to be on the site of digbeth police station but the name escapes me as this research was done years ago ..will get back asap

lyn

hi kieron will have to get my notes out later as i have at least 2 digbeth pubs with a family connection..the old guy being one which i believe was famous for its freak shows the other one used to be on the site of digbeth police station but the name escapes me as this research was done years ago ..will get back asap

lyn

The two pubs that made way for the Police Station were The Rose and the Beehive Tavern.

I have done a bit on the Old Guy - here are some names [not all] of the licensees : Christopher Fuller, John Bollings, Sargant Pearson, James Green, Joseph Cleton, Charles Froggatt, Henry Brookbanks, James Wort, Thomas Wells Gold, William Wright, Abraham Hardy, Henry Griffiths, Hannah Griffiths

my first thought from memory was the beehive...you would be looking for landlords last name downes...

back to the old guy on my grandads 1928 marr cert his address is down as no 57 digbeth which i think was the old guy..his wife to be kate alice downes is at no 50 digbeth which i believe was a family run chippy..have no idea why grandad was living at the old guy as his profession was a stamper but i guess it could have been for a few reasons....but what does interest me now is looking at your list of landlords for the old guy i noticed a charles froggatt...not a common name but as i am directly connected to the famous froggatts handcuffs...leg irons..dog collars etc who was making them down digbeth i am now wondering if charles froggatt is one of my lot:rolleyes: what year was he there kieron ?..think am am going to have to find the time to sort out my info on the downes and frogatts to see if there is a connection...could just be a coinsidence about henry frogatt but he could also have been an off shoot of the family that i did not need to delve into

lyn

Last edited:
my first thought from memory was the beehive...you would be looking for landlords last name downes...

back to the old guy on my grandads 1928 marr cert his address is down as no 57 digbeth which i think was the old guy..his wife to be kate alice downes is at no 50 digbeth which i believe was a family run chippy..have no idea why grandad was living at the old guy as his profession was a stamper but i guess it could have been for a few reasons....but what does interest me now is looking at your list of landlords for the old guy i noticed a charles froggatt...not a common name but as i am directly connected to the famous froggatts handcuffs...leg irons..dog collars etc who was making them down digbeth i am now wondering if charles froggatt is one of my lot:rolleyes: what year was he there kieron ?..think am am going to have to find the time to sort out my info on the downes and frogatts to see if there is a connection...could just be a coinsidence about henry frogatt but he could also have been an off shoot of the family that i did not need to delve into

lyn

Charles Froggatt was early-mid 1860s circa 1862 to 1866

thanks for that the frogatts were certainly in digbeth at that time ...i have rellie albert henry downes at 102 digbeth he was gone by 1904 to make way for the fire station...my notes say this was the clements vaults...thanks kieron i am going to have to spend some time on more research

lyn

hi kieron on page 99 of this thread you have put charles froggatt down as landlord of the old guy in the 1860s but on your pubs page you have got george froggatt as being there..could you confirm which one it was please because as you know i need to check my froggatt line as i am convinced that a member of my froggatts who worked out of digbeth making leg irons ..handcuffs and dog collars also ran the old guy ..thanks keiron below is the info on your pubs page

lyn

. They were succeeded by George Froggatt who took over the pub that had reverted to the sign of the Old Guy. He may have been the same George Froggatt who, along with his wife Harriett, kept a beer house in Bishop Street in the early 1850s. If so, he came from a family of metal workers that plied their trade in Digbeth for many years. Several branches of the Froggatt family were involved in steel, brass and wire production in the locality.

George Froggatt had not long settled in before he found out that dealing with the local riff-raff was challenging. In August 1862 he was assaulted by two roughnecks who became violent after refusing to pay for beer served to them.

hi kieron on page 99 of this thread you have put charles froggatt down as landlord of the old guy in the 1860s but on your pubs page you have got george froggatt as being there..could you confirm which one it was please because as you know i need to check my froggatt line as i am convinced that a member of my froggatts who worked out of digbeth making leg irons ..handcuffs and dog collars also ran the old guy ..thanks keiron below is the info on your pubs page

lyn

. They were succeeded by George Froggatt who took over the pub that had reverted to the sign of the Old Guy. He may have been the same George Froggatt who, along with his wife Harriett, kept a beer house in Bishop Street in the early 1850s. If so, he came from a family of metal workers that plied their trade in Digbeth for many years. Several branches of the Froggatt family were involved in steel, brass and wire production in the locality.

George Froggatt had not long settled in before he found out that dealing with the local riff-raff was challenging. In August 1862 he was assaulted by two roughnecks who became violent after refusing to pay for beer served to them.

It was George at the pub - did I have a senior moment when typing Charles?

lol thanks kieron just one last question did you find this info or did you get it from me...if you found it then i am totally convinced that george froggatt is one of my froggatts...below is from your site

Several branches of the Froggatt family were involved in steel, brass and wire production in the locality.

lol thanks kieron just one last question did you find this info or did you get it from me...if you found it then i am totally convinced that george froggatt is one of my froggatts...below is from your site

Several branches of the Froggatt family were involved in steel, brass and wire production in the locality.

Lyn, when you say "did you get if from me," did you mean my senior moment?

George appears in a few docs, I have attached a newspaper article for you from Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Saturday 16th August 1862.

Attachments

• George-Froggatt.jpg
    George-Froggatt.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
kieron i mentioned some time back that my froggatts started the froggatt empire making handcuffs...leg irons..dog collars etc just wondered if had remembered that so i need to make a deffo connection with those froggatts and the george froggatt who ran the old guy even though i am convinced they are one and the same family...just read that newspaper article you posted which says that the landlord of the minerva in bordesley st was in the old guy when the trouble started..i think its more than a coinsidence that bordesley street was also where my froggatts had their iron business at that time..as said i now need to find out where george fits into my family tree which i will start doing later today

lyn

I tried (and failed!) to transfer "Phils" picture of Joe Fox's sweet shop in the High St. This to me appears to be next to the old entrance to Bordesley Station ie up by the Doll's Club. I recall that in 1950's there was another sweet shop nearby, closer to the junction with Adderley Street that made sweets on the premises, such wonderful things as Troach Drops. Can anyone with a Kelly's confirm these thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm learning! Phil's picture see post 114 above (maybe not!)

Screenshot (264).png

Sorry! I am sure that I should be able to transfer a posted picture from one thread to another but I have failed miserably. This is Phil's picture referred to in posts 114/5 above. Finally succeeded by using a screenshot.

jim if you ever want to do that again just save the photo as you would any other photo then you can upload it from your files to the thread of your choice

lyn

In August 1943 Joe Fox was at 117 High Street Bordesley arranging house clearances. Viv.

Attachments

• 00C93098-2D65-455F-98E5-3C5AB33F154A.jpeg
    00C93098-2D65-455F-98E5-3C5AB33F154A.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 17
Don't know if you like modern street art around Digbeth.

But a few days ago got a chance to go around Ghetto Golf before it opened with a Facebook group I'm in called Brumtography.

So there was graffiti all over the place.

They did recreate The Old Crown there though.

I think it must have been an old warehouse on Gibb Street, near the Bordesley Viaduct and the Custard Factory.

Was a lot of horror movie and video game references here.

One hole on the first floor resembled an old room.

Back