• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Another trip along a street I remember quite well, when I got married in 1957 we lived in rooms in Lloyd Street just off Golden Hillock Road, and I worked at the BSA Armoury Road, went to all the cinemas along the Coventry Road, including the Apollo which our trip hasn't reached yet. I also used to shop along there and remember the Co-op, Hawkins drapers, Devoti's ice cream parlour and a lovely old fashioned grocery shop near the corner of Charles Road but can't remember the name at the moment. Thank you so much Phil.
The grocers shop you refer to was the Home & Colonial.

great photo carol new one to me.. pics of that part of icknield st are few and far between ...as you will know thats icknield st school on the left.

thanks carol

lyn.

The photo in post 5316 is interesting. It apparently shows Icknield Street School and in particular before demolitions and road widening. It would be useful to have a photo of the Icknield Street side, before road widening.

My sister lived in Bankes Road from the early 50s until about 2000 when she moved to retirement flats in Hall Green. It was a lovely road. Unfortunately I can’t remember the number; it was about half way in the dip. I spent many happy times visiting her and staying there when I was a lad and my parents were on holiday. She is not in the Coronation picture, I think that then she came to our family home in Guildford Street. Her married name was Doris Cridge. The Cridge family lived in the Peaky Blinders area near Garrison Lane and were a mixture of English, Italian an Irish

Lyn I don''t know whether you are aware the people in the Granville St pic above are the residents ath the top of that entry in pic 423 my mates Mother is the woman in the black and white coat, there are a couple of women that lived in Granville St and never lived up that entry . I suppose they just got in the pic to make the numbers up
Hi can you tell me if this yard is back of 39 Granville st

Some more photos of back courts in William Street Ladywood/LeeBank. All the information I have with these photos is what is posted with them.

Attachments

• Lee Bank  William Street 23 & 24 Court.jpg
    Lee Bank William Street 23 & 24 Court.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Lee Bank William St.JPG
    Lee Bank William St.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Lee Bank William Street Courts 23 & 24 c1910.JPG
    Lee Bank William Street Courts 23 & 24 c1910.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Lee Bank William Street.JPG
    Lee Bank William Street.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 71
View attachment 86835
Holliday Passage runs between Commercial Street and Holliday Street Lee Bank

Just noticed this pic , I've walked up and down there as a kid umpteen times . I had a bit of an accident on a bike at this end of Holliday Passage on the two sets of steps there . I was on a bike at the time decided to go down on the steps on the bike, needless to say the family jewels ended up between the rear brake blocks . Ouch

Houses 5 - 9 Cliveland Street next to a gateway to the Globe Iron Works which backed on to the canal. Unfortunately no date.
5-9 Cliveland Street.jpg

Other houses 30 - 33 in Cliveland Street.
index.php

forum image from 'Courtyards and Yards of Brum' thread post#957
shoothill

Last edited:
The photo of the ladies in Granville street after winning their campaign to be rehoused.
Is there any way to find out which yard they were in , as l feel sure it was my yard but would like this
confirmed if possible.
cheers Jatomlie

highfield place/granville place..anderton st ladywood...dated 1967

View attachment 117416

old square bottom right..date 1962

View attachment 117417

old square dated 1969...i remember these shops so well...it is said that they were just basically back filled and still remain more or less intact underground..

View attachment 117418

rear of milton st newtown dated 1962

View attachment 117419
Seeing the photo of the old square from 1969 brought back memories, especially with the gaumont cinema visible. I first saw the sound of music there with my mum.

Back