• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

No Glady Ada in hospital Str, though there is one in 1935 at 1 court 49 Bell Barn Road

thanks for the map mike....elaine can you show this photo to your dad please and ask does it ring any bellsnew john st west and hospital st.jpg
lyn

its taken on the corner of new john st west and hospital st which is what mikes map is showing

lyn

The corner on New john St west immediately below no 260. the (ex-)shop is 288 New John St West

Hi Elaine

The cafe on the corner of New John Street West and Hospital street was a corner shop when your dad lived there,the owners were mr and mrs isacc

thanks mike i had a feeling i had a photo showing the entrance to 1/260...thats a stroke of luck for elaines dad

lyn

Hi Elaine.
Yes I lived in Hospital street until houses were demolished in the early 1960s.
I was born in 1945 but my late brother Billy Grigg was born the same year as Tony”Mo” and was a pal of his. I once saw a couple of photos of your dad at a darts presentation that took place at The Red House. I remember where his family lived and the shop you mention was not a corner shop but at the end of the entry where your dad lived “Mrs Bloxams” I think.
Best wishes moss
Hi Moss, my dad asked me to see if you know what happened to Teddy Williams and Ralph Sherrington two more that he remembered. I remember as a small child going to visit with Teddy and his wife Rose (maiden name Badger according to my dad). I don't think it was in hospital street though.

Hi Elaine,
I don’t know about Teddy William’s other than they moved to Chelmsley Wood and Rosie married again.
Unfortunately Ralph passed away in 1977 at the age of 40.

Regards to you and your dad. Moss

Hi Elaine,
I don’t know about Teddy William’s other than they moved to Chelmsley Wood and Rosie married again.
Unfortunately Ralph passed away in 1977 at the age of 40.

Regards to you and your dad. Moss
Aaah well it would have been nice to know Teddy was doing ok, he will be sorry to hear about Ralph. My dad also said he thought you had a sister who also married one of the crew who I think he said played football or maybe he meant your brother.

Back